Ride/Noise comparison 2018 Sport vs 2020 ST | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ride/Noise comparison 2018 Sport vs 2020 ST

Mine is very quiet inside. Obviously tire rotations and alignments are important to keep even wear. Road noise will be very present once the tires start to chop up being how low profile they are.

I throughly enjoy my ST and although a little more firm on the roads, it is to be expected from the performance model.

I love the blacked out front end over the Platinum.
I agree with this.

For normal “family” driving, Eco mode is especially docile and very quiet. Sport mode (or really, just mashing the accelerator) is there whenever you need it. But test drive both a Platinum and an ST; make sure you compare Eco, Normal and Sport modes to get the full picture.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 18 sport which I love! fun to drive, fast!!!! I really like the styling as well. When the 6th gens came out I wanted one bad, wanted to trade my 18 in, but the more I see them and look at them I think I like the look of my 2018 better........

Hello All,
I'm considering the purchase of a new explorer, and I've stumbled upon this forum.
This will be my daily driver, but it will also serve as a family vehicle for myself, wife, and baby daughter.

I am currently conflicted between the ST & the Platinum.
I am leaning towards the ST, mostly due to the preferred styling.

The only real concern I have is the noise issue.
Would the ST be a bit obnoxious noise-wise, compared with the Platinum?

Thanks,
Rick
Rick I also recommend that you and your wife test drive both. I suggest securing the child seat in both. 60/40 second row or captain seats? The Platinum by the way may surprise you as to acceleration and handling. I have the ST with performance package. The ST is in a different handling and performance class in my opinion and in Sport mode may wake a sleeping baby. Just drive in normal or eco if your daughter is asleep. Not sure where you live but make sure the model is equipped with all season tires. I am very impressed with the 360 Co-Pilot safety features especially adaptive cruise control. Good Luck! ...Art

Hello All,
I'm considering the purchase of a new explorer, and I've stumbled upon this forum.
This will be my daily driver, but it will also serve as a family vehicle for myself, wife, and baby daughter.

I am currently conflicted between the ST & the Platinum.
I am leaning towards the ST, mostly due to the preferred styling.

The only real concern I have is the noise issue.
Would the ST be a bit obnoxious noise-wise, compared with the Platinum?

Thanks,
Rick
I have two young kids and a new ST. Get the ST.

========================

Hi all, my first post! I’ve owned my Atlas Blue ST for a bit over a month now and agree with everything Platinum owner has stated. I also have a 2012 Platinum F150, a very nice truck.

On my ST, the low rumble occurs in normal mode (all modes actually), so not part of the enhanced exhaust sound in sport mode. It occurs at idle, roughly around 650 rpm. The exhaust seems to couple and resonate with the cabin interior at that particular rpm, maybe at approximately 40 Hz. It also occurs at around 1300 rpm (2x the rpm), which appears to be a harmonic resonance. I hear this rumble at various speeds coinciding with these rpms and driving at those speeds, can seem to drone on and on. The Platinum F150 I have is considerably quieter (an eco boost).

I’ve taken a cheap Radio Shack sound level meter while driving the ST and the low level rumble at resonance dominates the sound pressure level. It would be 10 dB lower without the resonance.

As a result, I actually prefer using the Sport mode, as it holds higher rpms (generally higher than 1700 rpm), minimizing the low rumble. I do enjoy the sound of the exhaust during acceleration, just no so much the low rumble cruising at 45 mph. Don’t get me wrong, as I love driving it...it’s especially a blast to drive in Sport mode!

Do all of you ST owners hear this and is it just on ST’s (exhaust is different from other Explorers)?

Thanks,

Alan

I just started hearing the exact noises at idle and between 30-40mph around when my car hit 2k miles. I dont think it's normal. Did you ever do anything about it? Or just live with it with no issues?

Hi Vash610, I've had that since new, so assumed it was just the exhaust hitting an interior resonance at certain engine rpm's. If I run it in sport mode, the rpm's are held higher due to the shift points and that particular low freq rumble is mostly eliminated. Still, I use it mostly in normal mode and have found that I am becoming 'deaf' to it (or used to it)! Other than that, the car is a blast. -Alan

16 ex sport traded for 2020 ex st. Noise wise, it does seem to be quiter, but then they don't ride on the same tires, so there's that. Mine has the street performance package, Pirelli Zero something, while the 16 was on Yokohama Geolanders.
Ride is firmer on the ST, but the expansion joints and pot holes on the road feel bit more muted vs the 16 . I did have a 2020 Limited loaner, and it felt almost as firm, so I would not say that one or the other would be a softer ride. Haven't really driven it hard to judge the cornering, but the explorer 2020 overall is a way stiffer chassis, so I assume it does better than my traded 16 sport.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The ride in the 2020 models should be a little better since they extended the wheelbase by 6".

Peter

========================

Hi all, my first post! I’ve owned my Atlas Blue ST for a bit over a month now and agree with everything Platinum owner has stated. I also have a 2012 Platinum F150, a very nice truck.

On my ST, the low rumble occurs in normal mode (all modes actually), so not part of the enhanced exhaust sound in sport mode. It occurs at idle, roughly around 650 rpm. The exhaust seems to couple and resonate with the cabin interior at that particular rpm, maybe at approximately 40 Hz. It also occurs at around 1300 rpm (2x the rpm), which appears to be a harmonic resonance. I hear this rumble at various speeds coinciding with these rpms and driving at those speeds, can seem to drone on and on. The Platinum F150 I have is considerably quieter (an eco boost).

I’ve taken a cheap Radio Shack sound level meter while driving the ST and the low level rumble at resonance dominates the sound pressure level. It would be 10 dB lower without the resonance.

As a result, I actually prefer using the Sport mode, as it holds higher rpms (generally higher than 1700 rpm), minimizing the low rumble. I do enjoy the sound of the exhaust during acceleration, just no so much the low rumble cruising at 45 mph. Don’t get me wrong, as I love driving it...it’s especially a blast to drive in Sport mode!

Do all of you ST owners hear this and is it just on ST’s (exhaust is different from other Explorers)?

Thanks,

Alan

I thought it was just my hearing. Such a strange rumble. I can hear/feel the sound pressure but have been unable to find the source and it does not happen all the time, only at certain speeds including low speed. I was going to mention this to my dealer on my next visit.

The ST is in a different handling and performance class in my opinion and in Sport mode may wake a sleeping baby. Just drive in normal or eco if your daughter is asleep.

Some kids might like the faster acceleration. My dad always mentioned that when I was a baby, I would fall fast asleep in a moving car. The faster the car and the louder the engine/exhaust, the more sound I slept. YMMV of course!

========================

Thanks,

Alan

I had something similar to that with my ST, dealer said they corrected and replaced the subwoofer which for some reason was emitting a constant base wave and pressurizing the cabin. Once fixed, didn't have the rumble or pressure anymore.

I had something similar to that with my ST, dealer said they corrected and replaced the subwoofer which for some reason was emitting a constant base wave and pressurizing the cabin. Once fixed, didn't have the rumble or pressure anymore.

Really? I might mention this to my dealership. I hear a constant rumble/pressure at speeds under 75km/hr

Welcome to the Forum Nick. :wave:

Peter

Allow me to jump in here, please. My Limited is quiet and comfortable, but I've always enjoyed the firm push of more power, and ever since I discovered girls 60 or so years ago, I prefer curves over straight lines. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a '20 ST in Race Red. 15,500 miles, cosmetically better than good. The only cosmetic issue is a missing tail light access panel. The tires seem good, but $1,600 for a replacement set brought a <gulp>.

I've found no recalls outstanding on the car, but I wonder why there are so few miles. Was it a weekend toy, or did it spend too much time in the shop. I know, rhetorical questions but I don't want to buy a "hangar queen". My Limited has just over 15K and has spent nearly five weeks in the shop in the ten months I've had it. Transmission over haul most recently and it's currently waiting on an ACM to restore the audio and GPS.

I suspect once I drive it, I'll be hooked. I've always found it difficult to buy cars using only my brain. Once my eyeballs connect to my heart and the seat of my pants discover the lateral gs and the Delta V from the engine bay, I may go into automatic "where do I sign?".

Anyway, my wife and I are going on a 2,500 mile road trip in July. I don't see any mention of "Acoustic" on the windshield or front side windows. Is the cabin noise going to be obtrusive during ten hours in the saddle for five days? There was a time cabin noise wasn't a consideration, but now I suspect it is. Is the tire noise noticeable?

Not that it's high on the list, but what real-world trip fuel mileage are you ST owners getting? I'm most concerned about seat comfort and overall ease of putting in that much time on the road. Fuel consumption is a consideration, of course, but once I'm back home I'm sure I'll get 2-3 weeks on a tank.

I purchased my ST in Feb 2020. Right now it has just over 10,000 miles. The only time it was in the shop for more than an hour or so for a small paint repair was right after purchase that was warranty. As far as acoustic glass mine is not labeled either. But if you roll down the drivers window and a passenger window check the difference on the top edge of each. The drivers window should have a V shape to it. The passenger window won't. From a lot of research that I did some time ago that is one way to tell if it is acoustic glass. Here is long discussion about it. No Sound Screen Acoustic Glass?
As far as hiway MPG at a constant 72 MPH I run about 25 MPG. 79 it drops to about 24 or a little under. 62 MPH I've run as high as 27 MPG. Short trips around town it drops down into the teens. Right now with a mix of hiway and around town I'm running about 22.5 MPG
Take it for a drive and see what you think. I would bet you will like it. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick response. Both front windows on my Limited have that groove/v-shape on the top edge. That's one test I plan to perform tomorrow. Are you relying on the computer to provide fuel mileage numbers? My commute is fairly clean (no major traffic annoyances), but my Limited gets only 20.3 over the past ten fill-ups.

Well, I made the jump! All the information came together pretty well. The deal was satisfactory to all parties. All the recalls were cleared and I confirmed the v-shaped channel in top of the front windows. The cabin is quiet unless the warp-drive is engaged and that produces a pleasant snarl.

Since it just came off the truck Friday, I can't pick it up until Thursday (service tasks). Waahhh!

I've removed nearly all my "stuff" from the Limited. The front splash guards are in a box, the rears await tomorrow afternoon. I've razor-bladed my stickers and removed the radar detector and dash cam connections. Gotta schedule the tint visit. 30% and a 15% visor will occur in a week or so. Do any of you do a moon-roof tint?

My wife and daughter are wondering "Why?"

This ST must have been a dealer "big-shot" car. No titles assigned to an end-user: only 15,500 miles in two years +.

1.jpg

The dealer just called - it's ready to pick up. :) Unfortunately, I've already imbibed in some fire-water, so I'll have to pick it up at lunch tomorrow. :confused: I have an appointment on the 13th to have the tint done. Both front windows (30%), a 15% visor and 15% sunroof. How many have had their roof glass done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dealer just called - it's ready to pick up. :) Unfortunately, I've already imbibed in some fire-water, so I'll have to pick it up at lunch tomorrow. :confused: I have an appointment on the 13th to have the tint done. Both front windows (30%), a 15% visor and 15% sunroof. How many have had their roof glass done?
Now you just have to update your profile since that doesn't look like a Limited, Mike. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Peter

Back