• Register Today It's free!

Ballistic Panel rattle

Doug Allen

Reaction score
City, State
POPLAR GROVE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer PIU
Hi, I just recently purchased a 2013 PIU with 81,000 on it. I've done my due diligence, but I can't find any repair or removal information on the ballistic panels. I'm not sure of the panel manufacturer without pulling the door skin but my best guess is angel armor. They rattle when I close the door and I'm wondering what the cause of that is. I'm thinking someone was going to pull them until they realized what a chore it was going to be and then just left it loose. If anyone has dealt with this before, please enlighten me before I get out my tools so that I know what I'm getting myself in to. I haven't decided if I'm going to pull them for weight reduction yet so any information on wether or not that would when be worth the trouble would also be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Doug.:wave:

Peter

Ford's original OE supplier was BLS Textiles. They were acquired by CoorsTek in mid 2015 and operate under their subsidiary DEW.

I'm not 100%, but I believe angel armor may be just an aftermarket supplier.

For some reason, my memory is telling me there was a TSB about ballistic panel rattle, but I can't seem to locate it. Perhaps it was just a dream????

It only takes about 5-10 minutes to pull the door panel and have a look. I would assume you either have some loose fasteners or possibly a cracked/damaged panel/mounting bracket.

Ford's original OE supplier was BLS Textiles. They were acquired by CoorsTek in mid 2015 and operate under their subsidiary DEW.

I'm not 100%, but I believe angel armor may be just an aftermarket supplier.

For some reason, my memory is telling me there was a TSB about ballistic panel rattle, but I can't seem to locate it. Perhaps it was just a dream????

It only takes about 5-10 minutes to pull the door panel and have a look. I would assume you either have some loose fasteners or possibly a cracked/damaged panel/mounting bracket.

Sorry for the ignorance, but do all the PIU have ballistics panels or was that just an up fitter upgrade that some departments would have chose. Just haven't read anything about this as I've looked at old threads.

Panels were an oe option, but you need to check your VIN in etis to see if they were oe or not. If not oe, then they would likely be an aftermarket add on.

I have the same problem on my 2013, the brackets break and I think there was a recall on them. Recall only good for original police department's owner. I wound up cutting up thick styrofoam and wedging it to stop the rattle.

Back