Add oem wireless charger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Add oem wireless charger

northvibe

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Has anyone looked into adding the wireless charging pad?

i found the part
JL1Z-19J235-BD

my Explorer doesn’t show up until next week, so if someone had the urge to open up the console and pull that section out to see if a harness is there.... ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one to my knowledge has posted before about adding this. If you go ahead with this please keep us updated. Thanks.

Peter

We picked up the XLT yesterday. I poked around and there are no screws holding in the console. I cannot find a tear apart guide, but the last gen tear apart looked like it used the green xmas tree snaps and you just pull things apart.....Anyone try pulling the console apart on a 2020 yet?

We picked up the XLT yesterday. I poked around and there are no screws holding in the console. I cannot find a tear apart guide, but the last gen tear apart looked like it used the green xmas tree snaps and you just pull things apart.....Anyone try pulling the console apart on a 2020 yet?

Pulled mine to do some upgrades (added Nav APIM) you just grab it at the top and give it a jerk, it pulls right out. There are four tabs at the bottom of the trim that lock into the lower trim / console, they release pretty easy with no tools just wiggle the panel away.

I'd take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.

Peter

I'd take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.

Peter

Fix it? I don't think there is anything wrong. I just don't have a wireless charge pad, so I was wanting to open my console up and see if the harness plug was there. However since mid 2k's ford was getting better at making multiple harnesses so you could not just add things. Which is unfortunate as it could be a good way to make money on accessories etc. My Ram has most the harness stuff, but there are forum members making harness/plugs and like forscan alfaodb can enable those accessories.

Fix it? I don't think there is anything wrong. I just don't have a wireless charge pad, so I was wanting to open my console up and see if the harness plug was there. However since mid 2k's ford was getting better at making multiple harnesses so you could not just add things. Which is unfortunate as it could be a good way to make money on accessories etc. My Ram has most the harness stuff, but there are forum members making harness/plugs and like forscan alfaodb can enable those accessories.

I think Peter thought when you said there were no screws holding it in that you had empty screw holes.

As opposed to, there are no exposed screw holes anywhere to unscrew.

I think Peter thought when you said there were no screws holding it in that you had empty screw holes.

As opposed to, there are no exposed screw holes anywhere to unscrew.

OHHH sure. No screw holes, seemed weird. I pulled all the rubber pads and no holes for screws :shurg: Tonight i'll pull that section out behind the wireless pad to see.

I poked my head into the engine bay and don't think they left a harness for the fog lights :/ but I'll look when I do an oil change.

Pulled mine to do some upgrades (added Nav APIM) you just grab it at the top and give it a jerk, it pulls right out. There are four tabs at the bottom of the trim that lock into the lower trim / console, they release pretty easy with no tools just wiggle the panel away.

Where did you pull?
It looks like I'll need my trim tool to pop that front panel off. The trim on top of the front console from the shifter knob to the top of the charger pad look to be 1 piece.

Where did you pull?
It looks like I'll need my trim tool to pop that front panel off. The trim on top of the front console from the shifter knob to the top of the charger pad look to be 1 piece.

You pull the Climate controls panel 1st, grab towards the top, once that panel is out you can start accessing other panels if need be.
Pete
1584126838364.png

Peterzo - I wonder if we are speaking about the same pad/location? Unless I have to remove near the climate for the piece that goes all the way back. I thought the charging pad was against the arm rest/console.

ford-explorer-limited-4wd-2020-30-center-console--front-row--interior--wireless-charging.jpg
2019-Ford-Explorer-ST-4_o.jpg

However, I see one another, maybe 2019 and prior? the wireless charger was near the usb ports?

maxresdefault.jpg

Peterzo - I wonder if we are speaking about the same pad/location? Unless I have to remove near the climate for the piece that goes all the way back. I thought the charging pad was against the arm rest/console.

ford-explorer-limited-4wd-2020-30-center-console--front-row--interior--wireless-charging.jpg

However, I see one another, maybe 2019 and prior? the wireless charger was near the usb ports?

maxresdefault.jpg

Hmm, Like the one that goes at the armrest end,,,, I "was" thinking the forward one (as the 19's).
Have not pulled the armrest apart yet, but do like that, and will take a look at it this weekend.
Pete

er-console--front-row--interior--wireless-charging.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Mr North
Did some tinkering on how to pull that section to install the wireless charger (thought eventually I would put one though the dealer did not have one in stock and was board on Saturday). It turned out to be quite the project.
And I will apologize a head of time for not taking any pictures.
The console with the shift selector and the area where the charge pad goes is one piece. If you grab and jerk it up at the armrest end it will come free, well sort of, it will stay locked in up front at the shift selector end, and for the life of me (and without tearing the whole dash console apart) could not figure out how to get it loose. But looking at the pad, it is held in with four 6mm screws, going to be a bit tough to access them. And then, not having the actual part in hand, I do not know were it wires up? So I kept poking. If you grab the rear of the armrest (where the backseat outlet / heater controls are) panel it just pulls straight back and comes loose, easy. Did not see anything much in there connection wise? So what the heck how about the sides of the center console, well the lower portions on each side pop free with a tug (clipped on). but after that the next side cover has four torx 15 and one 10 mm bolt, and the only way to get at them is to pull the seats. How hard is that.... So pop out the covers on the seat rails and pull the four 13 mm bolts and the seat is free (well free after you unhook the harness), Did the drivers side first, then pulled the drivers side console side cover (the one with the torx's and 10 mm bolt), behind that cover is a m/t connector, whether that is correct one or not can't tell you?
Then my wife came out and saw I had her new car tore to pieces, got scolded, and questioned to what the hell I thought I was doing? So back together it went.
I would ask the the dealer how much they would charge to do the install, if a hours labor or so, have them do it. I had an hour plus just taking things apart. And that said if you are heavy handed except some clips to break or crack (got luck on my end that did not happen).

Pete

Has anyone looked into adding the wireless charging pad?

i found the part
JL1Z-19J235-BD

my Explorer doesn’t show up until next week, so if someone had the urge to open up the console and pull that section out to see if a harness is there.... ;)
Did you add the wireless charging and if so how did you take the consol apart. I would like to add this to mine. Thanks

Did you add the wireless charging and if so how did you take the consol apart. I would like to add this to mine. Thanks

I did not. The post above from Peterzo tells how to start tearing the console down. It ended up not being all that important of a feature to justify taking the entire middle apart or seats off.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Just a heads up.....I have the wireless charger and it's small, depending on what phone you have it may not even fit before you go any further down this rabbit hole lol. My Note 10+ doesn't fit.

the wireless charger under the armrest only puts out 5 watts - if I use waze through wireless airplay, my pone battery gets drained. Has anyone looked into installing a higher wattage charger?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

O/p, is the wireless charger charger not a feature on the XLT ? I discovered that one must have an extremely thin case phone case for it to function. I had to go to my local AT&T store and purchase one designed for wireless charging. Evidently, my original high end Speck case was too thick. Also, the notification on the screen is not only tiny, it is gone in a heartbeat.

Back