Terrain Management System Fault, Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Start Assist Not Available | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management System Fault, Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Start Assist Not Available

jtyler1383

Reaction score
City, State
Roaring Spring, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer LTD
I was driving through town at low speeds and suddenly my dash starts looking like a Christmas tree...

I received the following messages repeatedly: Terrain Management System Fault, Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Start Assist Not Available. I also had the two amber lights on in the picture.

dashboard.png

At a stoplight, I put it in park, turned the car off, then started it back up. The messages returned. I went about a 1/10 of a mile down the road into a parking lot, parked and turned the car off. I then let it sit for about a minute and a half, then started it back up. No more lights, but things seemed off with the accelerator and transmission. I've read some real horror stories about these messages, though I haven't found where anyone had all 3 of them together.

A couple more things:
  • It's a bit wet out right now.
  • When I attempt to accelerate, it seems to have a delay. The transmission seems off.
  • I know I need new rotors.
  • About a year ago I had some damage done to the drivers front side. A Ford dealership handled all repairs. It's been fine until today.
Obviously, I'll get it into the dealer as soon as possible, but if anyone can provide any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In some cases when the dash lit up like a "Christmas Tree" the cause was a weak/bad battery. It has happened to many others as well. That's where I would start. Confirm it is good.

Peter

yes the battery could also be a problem.
these modern cars are weird....I remember having a bmw and the clock and radio memory would reset itself every night. I had no starting problem and the volunteer showed just fine. but only when k changed the battery to a new one, the problem was solved.
so yes even if you think your battery is healthy, it could end up being the problem..

sorry, the error appeared again today.. taking the car to the dealer tomorrow, will keep you posted... very disappointed with this car.

I had the problem a lil while ago. Was my ABS. They use a magnetic strip just outside a bearing on newer vehicles and these wear out. Older ones have a solid material and never had these problems. Not saying that will be your cause, but another possible. When mine went had all the warnings-hill start/descent not available, abs, TMS fault, service advancetrac, and the odd time no AWD.

wow another solution to the same problem...
btw how did you know it's the strips? Did it show a code on the scanner or something?

Yes, shop scanned for codes and the rear passenger side showed fault. When tech was changing he also checked all others. Driver's rear was in similar condition and said was going to go soon. Fronts were still nice. He tried to get both rears changed but ford only approved for faulty one and said to wait for the drivers one to fault to change.

I had the same symptoms as far as lights go. The car would start fine and run for a few seconds then there was a large bang from the transmission and you could hear the turbo start to spool a bit from the engine loading up. Shifting to reverse resulted in another bang as it slammed in to gear and would otherwise backup fine. Putting it in drive wouldn't get you much, it didn't really want to go forward. If you revved it a bit, it would sort of go forward with the exception of one instance where after a large bang it shot forward. If I shut off the engine, put it in neutral, started the engine and released the brake, it would drive forward a bit after the bang hit a few seconds after starting and revving it, again in neutral, would get it going forward.

I ended up having it towed to the dealership where they determined it to be the intake air temperature and pressure sensor (pretty sure that's what they said on the last bit, I know the air temp part is right). They said they've also seen these things do this when a bug or something gets caught in the sensor after someone changes the air filter. Seems like an exceptional over-reaction on the ECU/TCUs part as there's no planet it makes sense for a non-mission critical sensor to cause such an adverse reaction in the control system. It's exceptionally poor error handling/system architecture, very disappointed in Ford engineering and how they've decided to handle some of these faults, especially where it would go forward in neutral. I understand power limiting to better manage engine parameters when operating open loop, but to allow the transmission to hammer on itself and have such excessive slip is not helpful.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
So is it still at the dealer? Please report back with the 'fix'. Thank you.

Peter

Update on my previous post - Got it back from the dealer and it appears to be working fine. Here are the details:

Replaced MAPT Sensor - AA5Z*9F479*E SENSOR ASSY
DTCs: P107, P109
Applicable TSB: 19-2212

We almost didn't go through Ford Assistance for the tow, didn't know we even had it --> Tow was free to the selling dealer 20 miles away
Since we were only a few thousand over the bumper to bumper warranty period and this isn't our first issue with the vehicle, the dealer covered it under good will, but I had to ask and then agree to wait a day so they could ship the part in from the warehouse vs. sending a runner to another dealership

Hope this helps!

Adding a few keywords for searches:
Hill Start Assist Not Available
Hill Descent Not Available
Collision Avoidance Not Available
Service Required
Front Object Detection Not Available
Transmission Error
Transmission Fault
Transmission Hard Shift in to Reverse
Advance Trac Not Available

I had the same problem- 2018 explorer with only 7,000 miles just jerked and stopped when I was slowly going up a hill. It would jerk into gears but I couldn’t go forward or back. Got towed to the dealership and the replaced the exact same part, the MAP sensor. So dangerous that a sensor would stop the car from moving with no way to override.
Update on my previous post - Got it back from the dealer and it appears to be working fine. Here are the details:

Replaced MAPT Sensor - AA5Z*9F479*E SENSOR ASSY
DTCs: P107, P109
Applicable TSB: 19-2212

We almost didn't go through Ford Assistance for the tow, didn't know we even had it --> Tow was free to the selling dealer 20 miles away
Since we were only a few thousand over the bumper to bumper warranty period and this isn't our first issue with the vehicle, the dealer covered it under good will, but I had to ask and then agree to wait a day so they could ship the part in from the warehouse vs. sending a runner to another dealership

Hope this helps!

Adding a few keywords for searches:
Hill Start Assist Not Available
Hill Descent Not Available
Collision Avoidance Not Available
Service Required
Front Object Detection Not Available
Transmission Error
Transmission Fault
Transmission Hard Shift in to Reverse
Advance Trac Not Available
I

.... So dangerous that a sensor would stop the car from moving with no way to override.

I
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
It's a good thing that this isn't a common issue here.

Peter

I was on the way home tonight and had almost the exact same thing happen.

2019 Explorer Sport with just about 8000 miles on it. Was driving on the highway doing around 60-65 and suddenly felt some weird vibration, and then bang a couple jolts from transmission - and same thing all the lights for Terrain Management, Advanced Trac, Hill Descent - etc. all went off and I could no longer accelerate, just no power - luckily I was less than half a mile to my exit and no traffic, and managed to coast towards the exit keeping just enough power to make it off. Once I was off and slowed down, I would try to accelerate and it would barely go, and would never go above around 1500-2000 RPM's. Dammit. I limped it home the next mile. I can put it in reverse and a big thunk. Put it in Drive and another thunk, but same thing. I looked under didn't see any fluids, it was almost dark, and I tried getting under to see if there was any damage or if the PTU had exploded or something but couldn't see anything. I looked under the hood briefly any nothing out of the ordinary, barely any dust as it won't even be a year old for another few months.

I saw this thread describing almost exactly what happened to me, so I popped the hood again and took the engine cover off to take a look at the MAP sensor on the intake - at first glance, everything under the cover still looks pretty much immaculate save for some of the various black tape on things starting to fray - but damn if there wasn't a friggin loose part just laying there, that looks like its never even been connected! It doesn't even make sense - it appears to be some sort of Vent Assembly of some kind, still has the white tag part on Ford DG13-7034-EA. Basically a 9-10 inch long rubber hose about 1/2 inch wide with 1/4 inch inner width, with 3 bends and a cap on it labeled "Gore" and a. zip tie mounting clip, that looks like its never been attached to anything either. I am attaching a photo. It was laying partially on top of the intake just to the right of the top MAP sensor, and extending down a bit and towards the front laying partially over the three vacuum lines. It looks brand new, and like it was never attached to anything. I look all around and I can't for the life of me find any place that looks like its missing a hose like that or anywhere it would connect. Where it was positioned under the engine cover, it seems impossible for it to have just suddenly come off, or been blown under there somehow, since the 3 clip points for the engine cover were securely in place. I literally have no clue where its supposed to go, and what sort of "Vent Assembly" it is or used for. Transmission? Something else? Bottom line though, I never saw this before. I've had an oil change - but that was several months ago in September - and haven't had any engine or transmission problems at all. (Don't get me started on the GPS, Sync3 or the damn useless roof-rack rails popping off constantly). And the map sensor on the intake looked fine when I took it off, no corrosion or dirt/gunk - but didn't have a good way to test it. (Is there any easy way to test a MAP sensor?)

Anyone have any clue from photos below as to what that specific part is (label DG13-7034-EA) and where the heck it should actually go? Or is this just a bonus leftover from the factory? Am really hoping it wasn't some critical part that may have been the cause for this sudden failure tonight. And would that make sense given whatever this is, if its been unattached all this time to relate to what happened, issues I just had occur? Thanks for any feedback!

Looks like I'll be getting a tow to the dealer in the morning - of course this happened just after 6pm so I couldn't even make an appointment - and trying to get a loaner.... what a nightmare... Forgot to add, that the reason I ended up with this 2019 Sport, was I had a 2014 Limited, that had the PTU grenade itself at 43K (before I was a aware of the well documented issues) - I didn't want to pour money into purchasing another extended service warranty, when the PTU could just fail again, so I traded it in for this 2019 Sport - hoping some things would be solved... what a disappointment so far. Ford has some serious quality control and design issues...

UPDATED: Did some more searching after posting this earlier, and it looks like the part in question is PTU Vent Hose - dammit. I'll have to check in the morning to see if there is one attached - and maybe I'm lucky and its just a MAP sensor, or if this has been like this from factory/dealer since I purchased and caused the failures! There is no hose clamp on it or even marks where it would have been clamped/tightened down - unless this just pushes on to a nipple of some sort... I have to believe this is a screw up from the factory, especially given the location where I found it - and the label with the part number, etc. still attached, and its pristine condition. Astounded at the poor level of fit/finish, attention to details - and so angry I never noticed this before when I originally took delivery - and all the problems I had with the PTU on my previous 2014 Limited. So disgusted right now...

Mystery part #DG13-7-34-EA (PTU Vent hose?)
IMG_7898.jpeg

IMG_2300.jpeg

Approximately where I found it laying after taking engine cover off:
IMG_4742.jpeg

I had the same symptoms as far as lights go. The car would start fine and run for a few seconds then there was a large bang from the transmission and you could hear the turbo start to spool a bit from the engine loading up. Shifting to reverse resulted in another bang as it slammed in to gear and would otherwise backup fine. Putting it in drive wouldn't get you much, it didn't really want to go forward. If you revved it a bit, it would sort of go forward with the exception of one instance where after a large bang it shot forward. If I shut off the engine, put it in neutral, started the engine and released the brake, it would drive forward a bit after the bang hit a few seconds after starting and revving it, again in neutral, would get it going forward.

I ended up having it towed to the dealership where they determined it to be the intake air temperature and pressure sensor (pretty sure that's what they said on the last bit, I know the air temp part is right). They said they've also seen these things do this when a bug or something gets caught in the sensor after someone changes the air filter. Seems like an exceptional over-reaction on the ECU/TCUs part as there's no planet it makes sense for a non-mission critical sensor to cause such an adverse reaction in the control system. It's exceptionally poor error handling/system architecture, very disappointed in Ford engineering and how they've decided to handle some of these faults, especially where it would go forward in neutral. I understand power limiting to better manage engine parameters when operating open loop, but to allow the transmission to hammer on itself and have such excessive slip is not helpful.
Thanks for these posts. This same situation happened with my 2018 Explorer Sport 15,000 miles and it was the sensor as well. All covered with warranty. But not after I had to have the car towed to the dealer-used Ford assist and it was wonderful including the free Lyft to get to work.
Has anyone had any adverse troubles after this? I can’t help but think this will cause other potential issues.

Thanks for these posts. This same situation happened with my 2018 Explorer Sport 15,000 miles and it was the sensor as well. All covered with warranty. But not after I had to have the car towed to the dealer-used Ford assist and it was wonderful including the free Lyft to get to work.
Has anyone had any adverse troubles after this? I can’t help but think this will cause other potential issues.
Welcome to the 5th gen Forum. :wave:

Peter

Chiming in here - on my post above.

Had Ford Road assistance send a tow out for me to pick up my 2019 Explorer Sport. Talked with the two driver - he said he picks up Explorers in "limp mode" all the time - 3 last week before mine - all same thing, and owners described similar situations, were either driving or just getting going, and blammo all the same symptoms, lights, etc. and "limp mode".

Arrived at dealer - props to the team at Ciocca Ford Souderton, in PA - where I bought this, and my previous 2014 Limited from them did a great job.

Right away they recognized "limp mode" and indeed it was a bad Map Sensor on the intake manifold - Code P0107 was noted and TSB 19-2212 same as noted above by others.

They also confirmed that indeed that was the PTU breather tube and it had never been installed correctly from the factory - yikes! Installed it on the nipple where it belonged. I asked about potential damage to the PTU/tranny given the speed and the severity of the clunks - they checked fluids for shavings/other signs of damage, and all was good - knock on wood. Still plan on servicing my PTU around every 15k to be safe.

They also secured my rook racks per TSB 19-2364 - however I think they also glued it versus replacing the clips - as it took overnight for that - and its not as snug as I would expect of the clips were replaced, as it still has some wiggle room - but doesn't lift up now - before even a light touch would make the rear pop off the clips. Guess its good enough for now.

Applied the update for ABS brakes, and finally diagnosed and figured out the NO GPS issue - long story short - faulty antenna - replaced that. I put a lot more detail on this in the NO GPS thread in case anyone wants more details on that.

I would say, given the speed I was driving, around 60-65 - there should be a better way to determine its a simple map sensor fault, and control it - either with a backup sensor or something else - had the traffic patterns been any different, there is a very high probability I could have easily caused an accident or wrecked - I consider this a huge design flaw. I know things fail, but 8k miles for a map sensor? How many miles have others logged before MAP sensor goes.

Seeing all the tuners our there, wondering the longevity/durability of the 3 bar sensors people are using for tunes....

Anyway - hope this helps!

We pick up our 2018 Ford Explorer - Platinum tomorrow from our local Ford Dealership’s Service department. This is the 2nd time in 11 months that the MAP sensor has been replaced. We had all the same issues and messages as above - service AdvancTrac, hill start assist warning, and park aid malfunction. The vehicle lost power as we were driving down the road, luckily not too far from home. However, we were at an intersection and could barely gain enough power to make the right turn. We were almost t-boned by an electric company truck. I’m very concerned about our safety after this has happened twice. The first time, okay, maybe factory mistake....the 2nd time...I want to know what caused it. We’ve tried asking the cause and got nowhere. I’m hoping to get more information and answers tomorrow but not holding my breath. May have to go to Ford Corporate if not satisfied at the Dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Hope it turns out better for you this time.

Peter

Back