2005 Explorer 4.0 No drive, No reverse and No line pressure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer 4.0 No drive, No reverse and No line pressure

J. M. Jeffers

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Hill, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer 4.0
Ford Explorer 4.0 Transmission displayed no drive no reverse after start up two months ago. After restarting the engine transmission went into gear and operated perfect. After two months the same thing occurred, but after restarting everything was fine. A couple of days ago same thing, vehicle was parked and after an hour or so restarted and no drive or reverse and restarting didn't fix it this time. I can provide the following:

No codes were present.
Tested all solenoid block resistances at the PCM connector. All within spec.
Tested line pressure at test port just behind shift shaft. ZERO Line Pressure.
Removed solenoid block connector during line pressure test to force line pressure to max. Zero line pressure.
Removed transmission and front pump to inspect line pressure flow control valve. Valve was not stuck open.

I assume the flow control valve could still be the problem. I thought that the slide hammer used to remove the pump may have seated it.
Does anyone have any information on an issue such this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reading your post I was sure it was the pump flow valve until you said you checked it....

I like the Superior Pump Flow Valve because it uses a ball instead of the valve.

Pump gears? Filter/Filter O rings? Valve Body , Pressure regulator valve.

Reading your post I was sure it was the pump flow valve until you said you checked it....

I like the Superior Pump Flow Valve because it uses a ball instead of the valve.

Pump gears? Filter/Filter O rings? Valve Body , Pressure regulator valve.
Hello, my name is Joe and I was so glad to hear from you. First, thank you for your help. Now, I will provide you with all the info I have.
I rebuilt the trans @ 250,000 miles. Harsh reverse engagement broke the reverse band. During rebuild a Transgo shift kit was installed. It provided a different flow control valve (plunger type) that was installed. Operated perfectly for 80,000 miles, till now. Like you I was sure it was the flow control valve, so after finding it seated, I walked away for a day. The only issue I saw at the pump was one of the two sealing rings on the back of the pump was broken. I figured it occurred during removal. If it were broken I think I would have a different problem. At present, the trans is intact except for the pump and pan.

Based on your experience I ask, Where do I go from here.....

Again, thank you

Valve Body, Pressure Regulator valve, Filter, anything that would block the fluid to and from the pump.

Ok.... I will report back
Well it certainly didn’t take long to begin finding answers. I first found a piece of a small diameter brass thrust washer inside the filter housing. Three more in the channel casting above the valve body. As it turns out they are from the front side of the overdrive planet gear set. No other damage found as yet. The reason for no line pressure not yet known, but I suspect stuck valve(s) from contamination.
Any ideas on resourcing a high quality planet. I believe some I have saw came from China.

Well it certainly didn’t take long to begin finding answers. I first found a piece of a small diameter brass thrust washer inside the filter housing. Three more in the channel casting above the valve body. As it turns out they are from the front side of the overdrive planet gear set. No other damage found as yet. The reason for no line pressure not yet known, but I suspect stuck valve(s) from contamination.
Any ideas on resourcing a high quality planet. I believe some I have saw came from China.
Update: Rebuild unit replacing overdrive section. Back in service!!!!
Update: Rebuilt unit replacing overdrive section. Back in service!!!!

Back