2006 Mountaineer AWD Power Steering Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Mountaineer AWD Power Steering Leak

skip2004

Reaction score
City, State
West Newton, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 mercury
I have a 2006 Mountaineer 4.0 AWD with a power steering leak. I can't seem to fine out where it is leaking from. I can't even see the pump. It looks like it is leaking above the rack. but I can not seem to find it. Do i need to pull out the radiator? Any help appreciated--

I have a 2006 Mountaineer 4.0 AWD with a power steering leak. I can't seem to fine out where it is leaking from. I can't even see the pump. It looks like it is leaking above the rack. but I can not seem to find it. Do i need to pull out the radiator? Any help appreciated--

The power steering pump is near the top of the engine above the ac compressor. If it was leaking it would leak down the front of the engine or follow the lines to the lowest point then drip. The same goes for the connections at the PS fluid tank. My bet is you need a new steering rack that is the most common place for leaks. It would not hurt to check the lines from the tank to the pump, to the steering rack, and back for leaks. A little warning about hydraulic leaks when under pressure they can be invisible to the eye and can penitrate the skin causing severe injuries and death. Not something to mess with unless you know what you are doing. Be safe and keep the car off when checking the lines

The power steering pump is near the top of the engine above the ac compressor. If it was leaking it would leak down the front of the engine or follow the lines to the lowest point then drip. The same goes for the connections at the PS fluid tank. My bet is you need a new steering rack that is the most common place for leaks. It would not hurt to check the lines from the tank to the pump, to the steering rack, and back for leaks. A little warning about hydraulic leaks when under pressure they can be invisible to the eye and can penitrate the skin causing severe injuries and death. Not something to mess with unless you know what you are doing. Be safe and keep the car off when checking the lines
This is what’s so great about these forums. I was aware of the risk of embolism (“injected” air bubbles) from compressed air systems, but not the risk from high pressure hydraulic fluid injection from leaks. Thanks for posting this. Here’s a link to a detailed description of what can happen. Hydraulic-Injection Injury: Insidious, Potentially Devastating

Back