AEM Dry High Flow Filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AEM Dry High Flow Filter

Mikey*TX

Reaction score
Liv'n in the hollow of an 'ol oak tree. ;-)
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 ST Star White
Bought and installed the AEM 28-20395 filter to replace the stock paper filter. EZ install. Took all of 10 min.
aemintakes.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought and installed the AEM 28-20395 filter to replace the stock paper filter. EZ install. Took all of 10 min.
aemintakes.com

I did a dry high flow for my dads escape and thought it was much better than my k&n as the maintenance is higher on an oiled one. Let us know after you've had it a while how you like it still.

Oiled high flows are the pits. In fact, GM will flat out void the powertrain portion of an owner's warranty if found when the vehicle is in for service. Sever years ago because of MAF sensor issues GM discovered the culprit to be oiled K&N filters. Shortly after a TSB went out regarding denial of service and flagging the powertrain coverage.

I ordered one for my 18 Explorer. We’ll see how it goes.

The throttle response feels better. Wondering if the enhanced airflow has caused the MAFS to recalibrate some of the throttle settings?

The throttle response feels better. Wondering if the enhanced airflow has caused the MAFS to recalibrate some of the throttle settings?

A drop-in air filter will net you negligible gains, so much so that it's fairly impossible to notice from a "butt dyno." The gains you're noticing are most likely because you want to believe what you did made your car perform better.

A drop-in air filter will net you negligible gains, so much so that it's fairly impossible to notice from a "butt dyno." The gains you're noticing are most likely because you want to believe what you did made your car perform better.
Very aware of this. I started modding cars back in the early '60. The first being the 409 Chevy I conned my late father into buying for my mother. Installed an Offie hi-rise and Holly double pumper. Then added headers. Removed the 409 emblems from the qtr. panels. Wish I still had it. I'm not looking for mega hp gains. Simply better breathing than the stock filter allows. The OE filter must meet certain EPA regs that a high flow replacement doesn't. Hence the statement on the package "For off-road use only."

The OE filter must meet certain EPA regs that a high flow replacement doesn't. Hence the statement on the package "For off-road use only."

This doesn't necessarily mean that the after market filter would fail the EPA test. More likely it means that passing the EPA test is too time consuming and expensive for smaller companies to want to bother with.

Just installed mine yesterday. We'll see how it goes. I'm sure it will be great.

Took the K&N filter out of my previous '14 Sport, and it's the same one for the '20. Cleaned it up and LIGHTLY re-oiled it. Have been using them for a few decades, and as long as one doesn't go crazy with the oil, they are fine. The attraction is basically using it for the life of the vehicle rather than buying paper versions over and over.

You are braver than I. I prefer a dry high flow as there is no chance oil causing an issue with the MAFS. GM has gone **** over oiled high flows. I'd be surprised if Ford has not. Several years back, GM advised the dealer network that any claims for warranty coverage involving the sensor would not be approved if inspection by a tech found filter oil contamination. There were a number of forum members on the big Corvette forum board and the Camaro board that ate the cost of a replacement. Ymmv.
Mike

You are braver than I. I prefer a dry high flow as there is no chance oil causing an issue with the MAFS. GM has gone **** over oiled high flows. I'd be surprised if Ford has not. Several years back, GM advised the dealer network that any claims for warranty coverage involving the sensor would not be approved if inspection by a tech found filter oil contamination. There were a number of forum members on the big Corvette forum board and the Camaro board that ate the cost of a replacement. Ymmv.
Mike
These are mostly because people WAY over oil them.

These are mostly because people WAY over oil them.

That is what I would go with as well. It's crazy how many times I've seen cone filters just doused with the oil.

I have a dry filter with a "sock" over the filter element on my Evo. Keeps it nice and clean.

Exactly. My SA at Classic Chevy showed me pictures of several over oiled K&N filters they found on Corvettes. I can just imagine how bad the MAFS on those cars looked. I made the transition to dry filters back with my C6 Corvette. The new ZL1 has one now.

Decided to give on of these a try myself after seeing some fairly credible testing that showed filters like this can add a few horsepower, and the price is low enough that it wont be a disappointment if it doesn't.

Back