2017 Explorer Sport takeoff surging | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sport takeoff surging

Fort_Maceo

Reaction score
City, State
Maceo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Greetings all. I've searched the forum for an answer to this question but found nothing on it, so I apologize if this question is redundant. If it's been asked already, it won't hurt my feelings if you just point me in the direction of the previous question.

My wife has owned a 2017 Explorer Sport, 3.5L V-6 twin turbo, all-wheel-drive, for a few months now. She LOVES it. It is quite an upgrade from her 2007 Fusion. It's been great except for one issue that we hope you all can help us figure out.

When she either pulls forward or backs up slowly, with just a little bit of throttle - most often when she's leaving a parking spot - it surges, for lack of a better description. It kind of chugs, and will stop if she lets off the gas. If she idles it out of our garage, it doesn't do it. If she gives it more throttle - like taking off at a stoplight - it doesn't do it. It never does it at speed. It does it cold or hot; whether it's just been started after sitting for hours or whether she's just been driving it for an hour. It's only on very slow, minimal-throttle takeoffs. And unfortunately, it does not do it every time she does a slow, minimal-throttle takeoff.

She had the dealer look at it (it's still under warranty). It did it while they were test driving it, and they documented that. However, it doesn't generate any codes, and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it. They did (or at least claimed they did) an update on the computer. If anything, it's worse now. The dealer has now told her that they can't just start fixing random stuff under the warranty, hoping that something fixes it. So I thought I would ask here if anyone else has had similar issues. We would love to be able to go back to them with a couple of suggestions of things to look at.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I searched and found 3 threads but I believe only 2 may be similar to your issue.

Peter

I've had the exact same behavior on our 2017 Platinum since shortly after it was new (as far as I can remember). I've read through the above threads and see that about half the folks there also had the same issue. Mine is most likely not related to humidity since we're in Northern California and it happens year-round.

Every time it happens, I get annoyed and think I need to take it in, but then I quickly forget about it (it usually only lasts about 2-3 seconds in my case). Now, we're out of warranty, so I most likely will just live with it. And honestly, after reading other people's experiences trying to resolve the problem, it doesn't even seem worth trying.

But glad to know I'm not alone on this and it's nothing too serious.

Look on the expedition forum regarding the 15-17 models. My 17 expedition has the 3.5 TT and I remember seeing a few threads about an issue with the throttle body. Not sure if it's related but wouldn't hurt to look.

Peter, thank you for taking the time to search and post those threads. I've read through them. Sounds like a lot of folks with the same frustration we have, but it gave me numerous things to look into more.

I've had the exact same behavior on our 2017 Platinum since shortly after it was new (as far as I can remember). I've read through the above threads and see that about half the folks there also had the same issue. Mine is most likely not related to humidity since we're in Northern California and it happens year-round.

Every time it happens, I get annoyed and think I need to take it in, but then I quickly forget about it (it usually only lasts about 2-3 seconds in my case). Now, we're out of warranty, so I most likely will just live with it. And honestly, after reading other people's experiences trying to resolve the problem, it doesn't even seem worth trying.

But glad to know I'm not alone on this and it's nothing too serious.
It's frustrating, isn't it? We're in the same boat with you. It's at the dealer again right now for another fishing expedition.

Look on the expedition forum regarding the 15-17 models. My 17 expedition has the 3.5 TT and I remember seeing a few threads about an issue with the throttle body. Not sure if it's related but wouldn't hurt to look.
Adrian, thank you. I'll check out the Expedition forum.

Hi everybody. Just wanted to report progress so far for the benefit of anyone else with this issue. My wife took her Explorer to the dealer about a week ago, and got it back today. They gave her a loaner (a 2020 Edge) to drive, which made the long time without her Explorer a bit more tolerable. And, of course, it still being under warranty helps, too. They claim to have checked and rechecked numerous things. They replaced a turbocharger backpressure sensor. The problem did not happen in several test drives by them afterwards. She brought it home today. So hopefully, it's as fixed as they think it is. I'll let you all know if this did the trick.

Just wanted to report back that we're two plus weeks into the fix and still no surging. We're crossing our fingers that the turbocharger backpressure sensor they replaced is a forever fix.

Just wanted to report back that we're two plus weeks into the fix and still no surging. We're crossing our fingers that the turbocharger backpressure sensor they replaced is a forever fix.
I hate you had this problem but I’m glad you got it fixed because my wife 2017 sport is doing same exact surging under very light acceleration. Thank you for sharing
Now I got amo to go to dealer with

I hate you had this problem but I’m glad you got it fixed because my wife 2017 sport is doing same exact surging under very light acceleration. Thank you for sharing
Now I got amo to go to dealer with
Welcome to the Forum William. :wave:

Peter

Back