Just got 2016 explorer xlt with 20s, I have a question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got 2016 explorer xlt with 20s, I have a question.

Rocco1005

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 xlt
Right now my tires are 255/50/20, is it ok to go to a 265 width tire? Never had an explorer so just making sure everything would be fine . Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum Rocco1005. You should be able to go to a different size tire, but it will change the reading of your speedometer, & it might have an effect on your gas mileage. I do not know if it will change anything else.

Right now my tires are 255/50/20, is it ok to go to a 265 width tire? Never had an explorer so just making sure everything would be fine . Thanks
Welcome to the Forum Rocco. :wave:
A 265/50R20 will only have a nominal 1% difference in diameter variance. When the speedo reads 60 mph you will actually be going 60.8.
Watch those radars.:)

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Rocco. :wave:
A 265/50R20 will only have a nominal 1% difference in diameter variance. When the speedo reads 60 mph you will actually be going 60.8.
Watch those radars.:)

Peter
Ok thanks, what about rubbing?

If you're just changing the width (255 to 265) then no change on speedo and you're only going about 3/8inch wider so you shouldn't have any issues

0.8 mph change in speedo as stated. 😊

If you're just changing the width (255 to 265) then no change on speedo and you're only going about 3/8inch wider so you shouldn't have any issues
I think Peterk9 is right; while 255 to 265 seems like you’re only changing width, 50 represents a ratio of height to width (or vice versa) so the new tire will have a larger diameter than the old one.

Crap I forgot to account for that. I wonder if that small of change would be even noticeable on the speedo. For me it maybe would since I'm ocd

Crap I forgot to account for that. I wonder if that small of change would be even noticeable on the speedo. For me it maybe would since I'm ocd
Will the size change save you money? Just wondering if it’s worth the trouble. I use the engineering mode to calibrate the MPG meter but I’m not sure if you can calibrate speedometer that way.

Will the size change save you money? Just wondering if it’s worth the trouble. I use the engineering mode to calibrate the MPG meter but I’m not sure if you can calibrate speedometer that way.
I would think that it would likely result in slightly lower MPG since you are now pushing a wider tire and will likely add a bit more 'rolling resistance. A wider tire would also be more prone to hydroplaning and harder to push through snow. Personally, I'd stick with the OEM size.

Peter

I would think that it would likely result in slightly lower MPG since you are now pushing a wider tire and will likely add a bit more 'rolling resistance. A wider tire would also be more prone to hydroplaning and harder to push through snow. Personally, I'd stick with the OEM size.

Peter
100% agree but I was focused solely on purchase price.

100% agree but I was focused solely on purchase price.
I checked the sizes on several tire brands and the differences vary somewhat. On some the 265 is slightly more expensive while on others they are slightly less expensive. So whether it will save you money to go with the 265 depends entirely upon which brand you choose.

Peter

Back