07 4.0 4x4 trany replaced now tons of issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 4.0 4x4 trany replaced now tons of issues

SynGen79

Reaction score
City, State
Blackwell, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 sporty xlt 4.0 4x4
Tranny went out at 120k. Found one online and had it shipped to tranny shop. Had new flywheel put in at the same time. Got it out of the shop and drove to work about 5 miles. Ran great. After work, pulling out of the lot it goes into limp mode. Take it back thi the shop. Calls next day. Pick it up. Drive to work and home just fine. Next day 5 miles from home, into limp mode again. All sorts of dummy lights. Tranny guy says it's throwing codes, so I take it to the Ford dealership. They say bad o2 sensors and need new cats. So I get new upstreams and gut the cat's and put in non foulers. Still same codes. It does good for about 3-5 miles then goes retarded. Changed the plugs wires and coil pack to stop the random misfire codes. No luck. Help me. Ive finally got time to hunt gremlins on this truck. Thanks in advance. D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what are your codes? <----------------------------------- most important

What year transmission was installed?
Do you still have your old 07 transmission for parts if needed?

what are your codes? <----------------------------------- most important

What year transmission was installed?
Do you still have your old 07 transmission for parts if needed?
Tranny was installed a year ago. Shop kept the old one.
Codes are random misfire, o2 bank 2, and range selector. I don't have an obn scan tool. It won't start at this point without a new flywheel. Will it show codes even if it isn't running? Thanks for your time

random misfire, okay can be caused by......many things
02 sensor bank 2 IS DOING WHAT?
RANGE SELECTOR - OH BOY! This is why I asked if they took the core.

yes it will give you codes even not running
We need the actual codes, not the definition so we can give you the definition

The range selector code - you can check to ensure the wiring down at the side of the transmission is secure, clean and in good shape

What happened to the flywheel??

random misfire, okay can be caused by......many things
02 sensor bank 2 IS DOING WHAT?
RANGE SELECTOR - OH BOY! This is why I asked if they took the core.

yes it will give you codes even not running
We need the actual codes, not the definition so we can give you the definition

The range selector code - you can check to ensure the wiring down at the side of the transmission is secure, clean and in good shape

What happened to the flywheel??
The shop broke one of the ears off the starter and didn't bother to mention it. The wife cranked on it one day trying to go somewhere and it just spun, so I replaced it and when it throws out, it spins freely. Im thinking the teeth on the flywheel got rounded off?

yikes
Need to remove starter and have a look see
This shop SUCKS

What year did the transmission you found online come from?

yikes
Need to remove starter and have a look see
This shop SUCKS

What year did the transmission you found online come from?
I'd read on some forums about how the trannys were vehicle and year specific. So I made sure that it was from on 07. I'm thinking they put one in out of a regular explorer.

Back