• Register Today It's free!

Transmission issue?

Davies0202

Reaction score
City, State
Blandon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mountaineer 4.6
Hey everyone I recently was given my 2002 mountaineer 4.6 v8 awd back from having its transmission rebuilt about a month ago. I’m noticing a kinda of flare between 4-5 gear when shifting it’ll kind of feel like it’s slipping out and rev from 1,800-2,000 then catch back down and go into 5th no lights come on and it’s smooth I’m just not sure if its normal. Sorry if this isn’t the right spot I have no clue what I’m doing on this forum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s not normal. The shifts should be positive, and not flare on a healthy transmission. Take it back and have them look it over.

It’s not normal. The shifts should be positive, and not flare on a healthy transmission. Take it back and have them look it over.
Alright thanks I’m not really sure it’s more a slip but it definitely flares from 1800-2000 though the more I drive it it doesn’t really feel like it’s slipping at all but the shops a state away so I’ll have to wait a bit

I don’t see how it can flare if it’s not slipping. It might not be slipping when fully engaged in a gear, but between shifts something is going on. I wouldn’t wait too long. The more you drive a transmission that isn’t right, the more life you take out of it.

I don’t see how it can flare if it’s not slipping. It might not be slipping when fully engaged in a gear, but between shifts something is going on. I wouldn’t wait too long. The more you drive a transmission that isn’t right, the more life you take out of it.
Hold on let me re explain when shifting from 4th to 5th the rpm flared a little bit maybe 150-200 rpm it did it once or twice but the speed didn’t drop it didn’t slam back into gear it felt normal is what I was saying. But the more I’ve driven it the more it’s sorted itself out so I think it’s because I just had the battery unplugged to clean the throttle body and it was relearning. Honestly got no clue worst case it blows up and the shop deals with it I have warranty so if anything’s wrong it’s on them cause I can’t really go back to New Jersey with the corona virus and all so looks like she’s siting for a while again

If it only happened twice, I’d forget about it.

Speaking of something happening twice, a couple of months ago, the fail safe mode came on.
I was driving on the highway, and all of a sudden lost power, so drove to the shoulder, and shut off the engine.
Restarted, fail safe message was gone, and drove normally for another 10 miles or so.
Happened again, and did the same procedure. It never happened before or again since. Weird.

If it only happened twice, I’d forget about it.
Yeah so after driving around today more it’s started to flare significantly less each time to point where now the rpm gauge doesn’t even bump up I can just hear my engine flare up the tiniest tiniest due to my exhaust. I also think I’m looking for things to be wrong cause the thing sat for a year before I could afford to fix it the first cause I’m only 17

Speaking of something happening twice, a couple of months ago, the fail safe mode came on.
I was driving on the highway, and all of a sudden lost power, so drove to the shoulder, and shut off the engine.
Restarted, fail safe message was gone, and drove normally for another 10 miles or so.
Happened again, and did the same procedure. It never happened before or again since. Weird.
That’s odd glad it went away though and never came back!

Back