• Register Today It's free!

Couple of Questions

shutmdown

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford PIU
New owner of a 2018 PIU. Trying to get my ducks in a row while I wait for my OBD plug to start programming in Forscan. In the meantime I have a few questions hopefully some folks can chime in.

Did a search but could not find any answers, has anyone swapped out their sun visor for one with illumination and garage door opener? Checking cheaperfordparts it looks like it should fit according to their vehicle fitment chart, however, my sun visor does not illuminate so I'm not sure if there is a connector for power and ground...

My vehicle has rear parking sensors, are these the same sensors that the vehicle would use for blind spot sensing? Would I just need to reprogram a feature in ForScan to activate this feature?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The blind spot (BLIS) sensors are different from the rear parking sensors. The BLIS system uses radar sensors that are located near the rear bumper on each side of the vehicle. The rear parking sensors are only active when the transmission is in reverse.
As for the sun visor, there is a wire that supplies power to both the lamps and the garage door opener. A member recently had to take his apart due to the wire becoming disconnected and losing power to both features.

Peter

The blind spot (BLIS) sensors are different from the rear parking sensors. The BLIS system uses radar sensors that are located near the rear bumper on each side of the vehicle. The rear parking sensors are only active when the transmission is in reverse.
As for the sun visor, there is a wire that supplies power to both the lamps and the garage door opener. A member recently had to take his apart due to the wire becoming disconnected and losing power to both features.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for clarifying the BLIS. I'll have to do more research into this. I'd definitely like to add this feature.

I saw the 2 posts where folks were having issues with their interior lights and homelink due to the wire breaking. My question is, does the PIU come pre-wired to accept the connector for power & ground on the new visor.

I don't know about the wiring on the PIU or if it has the illuminated visor or not. If it does, then you may be able to use the same wire to power the 'opener'. As for adding BLIS, you would also need to change the outside mirrors as that is where the blind spot indicators are. That would likely also mean adding the required wiring. I don't believe anyone has actually added the feature.

Peter

I don't know about the wiring on the PIU or if it has the illuminated visor or not. If it does, then you may be able to use the same wire to power the 'opener'. As for adding BLIS, you would also need to change the outside mirrors as that is where the blind spot indicators are. That would likely also mean adding the required wiring. I don't believe anyone has actually added the feature.

Peter
Peter, do you know if the same radar sensors for BLIS are the same sensors used for the Perimeter alarm feature?

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing the answer would be NO, they are not. Unfortunately the Manual doesn't go into detail on that feature.
Got this from the Internet;
The perimeter alarm is from the factory and it is activated by pressing your lock button twice (makes the horn sound). The alarm would go off if someone were to break your glass and open your door. You can test it by leaving a window down, activating the alarm and reaching in and opening the door. .

Peter

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing the answer would be NO, they are not. Unfortunately the Manual doesn't go into detail on that feature.
Got this from the Internet;
The perimeter alarm is from the factory and it is activated by pressing your lock button twice (makes the horn sound). The alarm would go off if someone were to break your glass and open your door. You can test it by leaving a window down, activating the alarm and reaching in and opening the door. .

Peter
Crap, I got the terms mixed up, I'm trying to figure out the "surveillance mode" not the perimeter alarm. Sorry for the confusion. I believe the surveillance mode, rolls up the windows and beeps to alert the officer when someone approaches from the rear.

Peter,

Thanks for clarifying the BLIS. I'll have to do more research into this. I'd definitely like to add this feature.

I wouldn't bother with it, both my PIU and PIS have it, and I'd give it about 2.5 out of 5 stars. The radar beam seems pretty narrow, meaning a target can very easily be in your blind spot, but not be picked up by the radar. So, I would only trust it if it said there WAS a target, I'd never trust it to EXclude a target. So, if you still have to do what you'd normally do as far as checking sides, why bother with the system at all?

This what the 2018 Manual says about BLIS;
Blind spot zone (A) : Detects slower
approaching vehicles from the exterior
mirrors to approximately 16 ft (5 m)
beyond the bumper.
• Extended blind spot zone (B) : Detects
faster approaching vehicles from the
exterior mirrors to approximately 59 ft
(18 m) beyond the bumper.

Peter

does anyone have any insight on the plug for the sun visor? I have the interior visor light bar so pulling the headliner isn't super friendly. I've read in other posts that the plug was attached or glued to the headliner, but these were all civilian Explorers. Anyone with a PIU make this swap yet?

Back