Explorer ST Borla Exaust installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer ST Borla Exaust installed

joshua Evans

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Got the S-Type exhaust on today.

impressions-
build quality on point as expected from borla.

S-Type sound is the right choice in my humble opinion. Raised the volume enough to be present but not overbearing for an SUV. Deepened the tone dramatically which is what I wanted. The Atak seemed too raspy to me and reminded me of the raptor which is not what I wanted at all.

the look alone was worth it getting rid of the only chrome on the car and replacing those tiny faux tipped pipes. Zero Drone

highly recommended.

13929D23-A442-471E-A5FA-5AB28A36BA63.jpeg
8EF6246A-7084-4500-84BD-23C00207599A.jpeg
FBF2E1BF-7163-425A-848C-6FEB69680207.jpeg
BF5B840E-FD12-4FCA-BF57-A75DD792EED2.jpeg
5836C682-8B6D-4080-96C8-4837B5E84D78.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good!

What is the sound like on the inside? Kind of on fence due to fears of a constant booming, droning, sound while cruising or if the car is low rpm load like uphill, heavy loaded, and such.
Our 2015 Ford Explorer Sport, its stock exhaust has a slight rumble that is audible on the outside while idling, and decent sound while flooring it. The ST sounds like nothing, kind of disappointed. The piped in sound through the speakers feels cheap.
Also, curious what the 2020 Platinum sounds like, it has an adaptive valve on the exhaust? Is that right? I assumed that the exhaust and the power train (besides factory tune) is the same.

Sounds good. Just audible enough inside to know the exhaust is there. Zero drone which is what borla specializes in. Can’t speak to the platinum

The 2.7 in my Fusion Sport is quiet, very quiet. The fake engine sound is interesting, but not mandatory. I added a Turbosmart diverter and it made the engine growl a lot more. The girlfriend's first reaction was that she noticed the car was just growling like it was mad. Every aftermarket exhaust for the 2.7 just makes it sound like a ricer, so I've kept it stock. My plan is to keep the 3.0 stock on the ST.

Just an FYI for those doing a borla exhaust - the tips are positioned so close together they collect tiny rocks like CRAZY! And only a pressure washer gets them out. Design flaw for sure for early adapters. I’ve notified borla maybe they eventually figure out a fix.

I've been looking up videos on the Borla Exhausts, definitely the S type would sound to loud for my taste. Looking for something that has low rumble. I know that one of the inherent downsides of a v6, but my sister-in-laws x5 bmw that she had, was a v6 as well, and had a nice sound to it. So, it is it can be done.
I'll guess I'll just stick to stock for now...

Got the S-Type exhaust on today.

impressions-
build quality on point as expected from borla.

S-Type sound is the right choice in my humble opinion. Raised the volume enough to be present but not overbearing for an SUV. Deepened the tone dramatically which is what I wanted. The Atak seemed too raspy to me and reminded me of the raptor which is not what I wanted at all.

the look alone was worth it getting rid of the only chrome on the car and replacing those tiny faux tipped pipes. Zero Drone

highly recommended.

View attachment 178985 View attachment 178986 View attachment 178987 View attachment 178988 View attachment 178989
Looks great! Only complaint is that they didn’t make the muffler cans black! Guess that wouldn’t be a problem doing it yourself before install.

Looks great! Only complaint is that they didn’t make the muffler cans black! Guess that wouldn’t be a problem doing it yourself before install.
I agree. I painted mine.

Attachments

• borla.jpg
    borla.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 496

I agree. I painted mine.
They look great! Now if we can figure out how to turn the fake engine noise off and just hear the Borla Exhaust we’ll have it right😁

Looks great, does anyone know if this will work on the Platinum? I contacted Borla and the answer I got was “Only if they have the same motor and bumper.” I know the engines are the same and the bumpers look to be the same accept for the color accents.

Borla sells these from two vendors, SS Exhaust and Summit Racing. I ordered it this Tuesday from SS Exhaust as they have free shipping and no sales tax. I am still waiting for it. I called SS Exhaust and they said that they are waiting for the parts to arrive from the warehouse. I wonder how long did it take you from the time that you ordered yours? I am still waiting for shipping information.

I agree. I painted mine.

Can you talk about what steps you took to paint them? Did you etch the surface at all, or just high temp primer and paint?

Can you talk about what steps you took to paint them? Did you etch the surface at all, or just high temp primer and paint?

Maybe you can just spray paint them.

Maybe you can just spray paint them.

legend has it that paint tends to flake off of stainless steel pretty quickly if the surface isn't prepped

Nice that you got your system in time. Apparently after emailing Borla, he just replied to me saying that these 140820BC systems have been selling out like hot cakes. I might have to wait until next week to get mine. I am surprised that more people are not showing them on here. Maybe they are just enjoying themselves as most only visit forums when something breaks.

Today I installed my S-Type Borla exhaust and I stopped having the front suspension noises. I cannot any more hear any suspension noises.

Suspension noise covered up by the Borla exhaust noise? :laugh:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those that purchased the Borla Exhaust with the black chrome tips, have you noticed any discoloration as of late?

Back