2002 Explorer 4x4 4.0 , turn off OD for flashing OD light help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 4x4 4.0 , turn off OD for flashing OD light help?

Robert Watters

Reaction score
City, State
Altoona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Hi im new here. I just bought a 2002 Explorer with 130,000 on it. Great shape, no rust.
I noticed the flashing OD sometimes, found the answer here at this great forum about the aluminum tranny vs steel pin.
Tranny seems fine, shifts ok.
So i been turning off OD when i drive it, no flash.
Can anyone verify this to be helpful?
Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's all going to depend on what code the transmission is setting, find someone that can retrieve the trouble codes, most cheap handheld scanners won't be able to get the codes for the transmission so you might have to go to a shop. Most shops will check it out for free, we do.

If the light starts to flash once you are up to a higher speed in the higher gears could be a indication of a converter code like a p0741, p1741.

Post up what you got and we can help you understand what to expect next.

Oh and welcome to the site!

Hi im new here. I just bought a 2002 Explorer with 130,000 on it. Great shape, no rust.
I noticed the flashing OD sometimes, found the answer here at this great forum about the aluminum tranny vs steel pin.
Tranny seems fine, shifts ok.
So i been turning off OD when i drive it, no flash.
Can anyone verify this to be helpful?
Thanks in advance
As to answer your will turning od off help the issue it won’t it’ll only prolong and hide it. It could be as simple as your fluid is cooked and has never been changed at 156,000 when I got the od light my trans was slipping pretty bad so I knew it was gone but my moms had 120,000 I changed the fluid and the od light never came on again. I also did the solenoid and filter

Thanks guys for your answers, i did have it scanned while flashing at Autozone, Solonoid b was the code.
Weird there's no dipstick for the tranny. I have a buddy who has a transmission shop and will have him check the fluid and the solenoid.
Thanks again gang!

Back