• Register Today It's free!

2013 PIU Modification Questions

Ethmrs

Reaction score
City, State
saint louis park
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford PIU
I bought a 2013 PIU with about 85,000 miles on the car, and a new engine at around 25,000 miles just under a year ago and my main goal is to try and make it look as much like a civilian explorer as possible and to add as many features possible. I got it with a carpeted interior without the hand spotlight, I did not hear officially why, but I think it was a supervisor/sergeant car.

I first want to put a subwoofer box in the back because of how lacking the stock audio is. I was thinking of putting a Rocksford Fosgate P300-12 in the back and was wondering if anybody has done anything similar and can help with tips on wiring, especially since this specific sub has it's amp built in, and automatically detects audio and turns on/off from what I can tell. I will be installing this on the stock sync system because I am not planning on changing the radio to a double din system until next summer. As of right now I am planning on tapping into the driver or passenger speaker to wire in the sub with speaker wire, then use the plug-in on the sub which can be cut to use speaker wire according to the company.

Next, I was also thinking about fitting a K&N 77 Series High-Flow Performance Cold Air Intake System built for the stock 3.5L engine from a normal explorer and was wondering if the fitment is the same for the 3.7L in my PIU, or if it would not fit.

Also I was interested to hear if anyone had modified their exhausts I am curious to see what the 3.7L would sound like with different mufflers and or a modified air intake (also maybe with a resonator delete). I'd also like to hear any issues anyone may have ran into with doing any of that. My exhaust system appears to be welded to the hangers underneath and I'm not sure if this is stock or what. I was thinking about buying these parts for my exhaust from Magnaflow. Muffler1 or Muffler2 or Muffler3 and Tru-X Pipe and use this for connecting pipe

Also I was looking at buying stock 18" alloy rims off of wrecked explorers would anyone recommend for/against switching the rims from steel to alloy.

And I'd be interested to hear how extensively people gone into tuning PIU's and what can be done in general for tuning.

Finally next summer I'm thinking about installing a Metra single/double din stereo dash kit with a pioneer radio with apple car play while using the built in display the kit has for climate control and using something to retain steering wheel controls to the radio if anyone has done something similar I'd like to hear.

Overall I'd like to hear what modifications y'all have done to PIU's and if you think any of these could be done, because I have not seen much online of people attempting many modifications on PIU's and would like to see what I can do and update y'all with what works and what issues I run into.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
One suggestion I have is to browse the "Modified" threads in not only the PIU section but also in the regular 5th gen section. There are threads on updating audio, changing exhaust, adding CAI, changing/adding seats etc.

Peter

I bought a 2013 PIU with about 85,000 miles on the car, and a new engine at around 25,000 miles just under a year ago and my main goal is to try and make it look as much like a civilian explorer as possible and to add as many features possible. I got it with a carpeted interior without the hand spotlight, I did not hear officially why, but I think it was a supervisor/sergeant car.

I first want to put a subwoofer box in the back because of how lacking the stock audio is. I was thinking of putting a Rocksford Fosgate P300-12 in the back and was wondering if anybody has done anything similar and can help with tips on wiring, especially since this specific sub has it's amp built in, and automatically detects audio and turns on/off from what I can tell. I will be installing this on the stock sync system because I am not planning on changing the radio to a double din system until next summer. As of right now I am planning on tapping into the driver or passenger speaker to wire in the sub with speaker wire, then use the plug-in on the sub which can be cut to use speaker wire according to the company.

Next, I was also thinking about fitting a K&N 77 Series High-Flow Performance Cold Air Intake System built for the stock 3.5L engine from a normal explorer and was wondering if the fitment is the same for the 3.7L in my PIU, or if it would not fit.

Also I was interested to hear if anyone had modified their exhausts I am curious to see what the 3.7L would sound like with different mufflers and or a modified air intake (also maybe with a resonator delete). I'd also like to hear any issues anyone may have ran into with doing any of that. My exhaust system appears to be welded to the hangers underneath and I'm not sure if this is stock or what. I was thinking about buying these parts for my exhaust from Magnaflow. Muffler1 or Muffler2 or Muffler3 and Tru-X Pipe and use this for connecting pipe

Also I was looking at buying stock 18" alloy rims off of wrecked explorers would anyone recommend for/against switching the rims from steel to alloy.

And I'd be interested to hear how extensively people gone into tuning PIU's and what can be done in general for tuning.

Finally next summer I'm thinking about installing a Metra single/double din stereo dash kit with a pioneer radio with apple car play while using the built in display the kit has for climate control and using something to retain steering wheel controls to the radio if anyone has done something similar I'd like to hear.

Overall I'd like to hear what modifications y'all have done to PIU's and if you think any of these could be done, because I have not seen much online of people attempting many modifications on PIU's and would like to see what I can do and update y'all with what works and what issues I run into.

Welcome!
I am in a similar boat with a 2018 PIU that I just picked up. I am also looking to upgrade the audio, but my 18 did not come with Sync, and I can not see any aftermarket options or dash kits for a 2016-19 (like the metra available for 2011-2015) and unfortunately I haven't found many in the same boat.. I bought my 18 with 33k, knowing it was previously in an accident for a steal offline, and once it was delivered was not impressed with the body work they did, and not sure it could be a headache a few years down the road so I am debating how much I really want to put into it modify it, even though it drives great.

Curious to know if the intake works, basic online fit checks show the part number does not fit the 3.7, but not sure if its an easy mod to make it work. In regards to the exhaust, I again haven't seen much with the 3.7 on the PIU, but for sound clips/tone your looking for, you may check out some of the mustang forums as they share the 3.7 and plenty of them modded. the exhaust route is pretty straight forward and assuming it share share the same as the 2.3 or 3.5 for a direct fit kit, or just go custom with your choice of muffler.

Some other upgrades that may be worth looking into that are some what maintenance items at the age, are upgrading the rotors & pads, shocks & struts, and a Steeda track bar.

Swapping wheels should not be an issue. I am looking for a set of wheels off a sport as I think those look the best, just haven't found a set locally yet.

I have read several posts that said that unless you plan to add a 'tune', just adding a CAI is basically a waste of money. Some that added just a CAI ended up going back to stock.

Peter

Do not do the intake. I had it on for a couple of days before taking it off. It was noisy and annoying with no power gain, possibly even lost power... For the subwoofer I was surprised to find a positive power point behind the plastic panel behind the rear passenger side. It has a red plastic box. Made it super easy to wire in accessories. You can also tap into the rear door speaker wire as an input for the subwoofer. Good luck!

Welcome!
I am in a similar boat with a 2018 PIU that I just picked up. I am also looking to upgrade the audio, but my 18 did not come with Sync, and I can not see any aftermarket options or dash kits for a 2016-19 (like the metra available for 2011-2015) and unfortunately I haven't found many in the same boat.. I bought my 18 with 33k, knowing it was previously in an accident for a steal offline, and once it was delivered was not impressed with the body work they did, and not sure it could be a headache a few years down the road so I am debating how much I really want to put into it modify it, even though it drives great.

Curious to know if the intake works, basic online fit checks show the part number does not fit the 3.7, but not sure if its an easy mod to make it work. In regards to the exhaust, I again haven't seen much with the 3.7 on the PIU, but for sound clips/tone your looking for, you may check out some of the mustang forums as they share the 3.7 and plenty of them modded. the exhaust route is pretty straight forward and assuming it share share the same as the 2.3 or 3.5 for a direct fit kit, or just go custom with your choice of muffler.

Some other upgrades that may be worth looking into that are some what maintenance items at the age, are upgrading the rotors & pads, shocks & struts, and a Steeda track bar.

Swapping wheels should not be an issue. I am looking for a set of wheels off a sport as I think those look the best, just haven't found a set locally yet.
What did you end up doing about the stereo? I’m in a 17 with sync but it has a sticky button and zero bass. Trying to figure out the best way to hook up a sub.

also the power in the passenger side rear once again for me isn’t hot. I’m thinking about running a line from the battery to it as I’m thinking about putting rear fog lights where the police lights use to be in the rear lift gate.

Back