Explorer brake controller? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer brake controller?

Post number 2 has been selected as best answered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So are the brake controllers just plug and play on the 2020 Explorer's with the towing package?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Wow, without the picture from this thread I think I would have given up on finding the connector. I'd already removed the under steering wheel covers and looked for the connector. I had access the Motorcraft Wiring Diagrams for the 2020 Explorer and knew that there should be a connector up there, but I just couldn't find. After see a picture of the actual connector and the hint to the location, I was able to find it. At least in my case there was a dummy plug inserted into the connector that I had to remove before I plugged in the connector cable.

Now I just have to decide where to mount the controller.

Thanks again.

Ed

I don’t understand why ford does not offer a oem trailer brake? This seems insane...

Wow, without the picture from this thread I think I would have given up on finding the connector. I'd already removed the under steering wheel covers and looked for the connector. I had access the Motorcraft Wiring Diagrams for the 2020 Explorer and knew that there should be a connector up there, but I just couldn't find. After see a picture of the actual connector and the hint to the location, I was able to find it. At least in my case there was a dummy plug inserted into the connector that I had to remove before I plugged in the connector cable.

Now I just have to decide where to mount the controller.

Thanks again.

Ed

I agree! I was installing the TRL auto start/stop eliminator and had the lower panel off to poke around and find the plug for VSS and trailer brake, couldn't find the plug for the longest time. I had to lay upside down and have my legs in the air to find that gray plug. That pic really helped.

My 2020 XLT also had a dummy/blank plugged in as well. I still haven't decided on the controller yet, but be careful pulling the panel off. I broke a few of those green xmas trees.....

Do I need to remove the whole lower panel or just the small hard plastic covers underneath? Any advice on removing the panel without breaking tabs?

I'm looking at a 2020 XLT with the factory tow package. I have 2 questions:

1. Am I correct in saying that it is wired for a trailer brake controller but it does not come with one? As in, I would need to install something like a Tekonsha Prodigy, but the wiring is already present under the dash to plug it in. Correct?

2. A friend is selling a Springdale Mini 1760BH travel trailer. The specs all seem well within Ford's towing requirements, except frontal area (maybe). Single axle, 3,789 lbs dry weight, 520 lbs tongue weight, but it is 10' tall (curved front). Any ideas if this would cause problems to tow?

Thanks,

Mike

I talked to Redarc and it would appear than the 007 harness is the one you need as the 005 seems to fit larger vehicles. HOWEVER, they were not inclined to guarantee that it will fit since they only have data through the 2015 model year.
Had mine installed last week and they said that the 007 harness did not fit but that they had one which did fit; they didn't tell me the manufacturer or part number, sorry....

Do I need to remove the whole lower panel or just the small hard plastic covers underneath? Any advice on removing the panel without breaking tabs?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I'm looking at a 2020 XLT with the factory tow package. I have 2 questions:

1. Am I correct in saying that it is wired for a trailer brake controller but it does not come with one? As in, I would need to install something like a Tekonsha Prodigy, but the wiring is already present under the dash to plug it in. Correct?

2. A friend is selling a Springdale Mini 1760BH travel trailer. The specs all seem well within Ford's towing requirements, except frontal area (maybe). Single axle, 3,789 lbs dry weight, 520 lbs tongue weight, but it is 10' tall (curved front). Any ideas if this would cause problems to tow?

Thanks,

Mike
Your thread was moved to this existing one Mike.

Peter

Thanks. Do you know where I can get the pig tail?
Your local ford dealer should have one.
Ford continues to impress with its people. I went to my local dealership, and the parts guy had no idea what I was talking about. Wanted me to send him a picture of the plug so he could try to see what the pigtail should look like. This is after he tried to sell me a F150 brake controller.

His best guess on cost of the pigtail was $40, and he was not sure that he had the right part.

Does anyone know a part number? Or a place where I can just order it direct?

Thanks

Have you tried calling/checking a place that sells brake controllers? They may have the answer and or the part required.

Peter

Have you tried calling/checking a place that sells brake controllers? They may have the answer and or the part required.

Peter
Not yet. I figured that Ford might actually know what Ford part is required, but, you know, silly idea. ;)

Also, at least one person on this thread has already installed the same controller I'm going to use, so I figured he might know what adapter to use.

Not yet. I figured that Ford might actually know what Ford part is required, but, you know, silly idea. ;)

Also, at least one person on this thread has already installed the same controller I'm going to use, so I figured he might know what adapter to use.
Send him a PM and report back. That would be very useful info if you get it. Thanks.

Peter

He hasn't been active since December.

Question, does anyone know for sure if the plug is the same from model year 2019 to 2020? Tekonsha seems to think so, as they list their adapter with the same part number as fitting both 2019 and 2020. If that's the case, I'm guessing they're the same. Normally I'd just order it and return if it didn't fit, but I'm not using a Tekonsha controller, and the one I was going to use (Redarc) doesn't list anything for 2020s yet.

Question, does anyone know for sure if the plug is the same from model year 2019 to 2020? Tekonsha seems to think so, as they list their adapter with the same part number as fitting both 2019 and 2020. If that's the case, I'm guessing they're the same. Normally I'd just order it and return if it didn't fit, but I'm not using a Tekonsha controller, and the one I was going to use (Redarc) doesn't list anything for 2020s yet.

It appears the 2019 and 2020 use the same plug. I just looked at Curt and Tekonsha and both showed no change for the 2 year models.

Yep, looking good.

I thought someone said it was not the same harness.... Have you reached out to the manufacture? I was waiting to add this but was also curious. Seems weird that after 1yr of manufacturing the explorer, there is still lack of info from brake controller manufactures.

I thought someone said it was not the same harness.... Have you reached out to the manufacture? I was waiting to add this but was also curious. Seems weird that after 1yr of manufacturing the explorer, there is still lack of info from brake controller manufactures.
I have an email in to them. I'll let you know what it turns up.

HOWEVER, one thing I did figure out is that you can buy a Tekonsha harness for the 2020, and then buy a Tekonsha-to-Redarc adapter harness, and you should be plug and play. Well, plug and plug and play. Seems silly to buy a second adapter, but the other option seems to be splicing wires. Not the end of the world, but still a PITA. Plus, I have a general dislike of soldering stuff that might be called upon to save my life.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an email in to them. I'll let you know what it turns up.

HOWEVER, one thing I did figure out is that you can buy a Tekonsha harness for the 2020, and then buy a Tekonsha-to-Redarc adapter harness, and you should be plug and play. Well, plug and plug and play. Seems silly to buy a second adapter, but the other option seems to be splicing wires. Not the end of the world, but still a PITA. Plus, I have a general dislike of soldering stuff that might be called upon to save my life.

i liked the redarc as it has a remote located knob to change brake bias. The tekonsha was like a radar detector....

thanks and let us know!

Back