2015 Ford Explorer Stock Speaker Upgrade - Sony System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Ford Explorer Stock Speaker Upgrade - Sony System

ecoboost_xsport

Mad Scientist
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orangevale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Did a stock speaker upgrade in a 2015 Explorer Sport with the Sony Premium Sound System. Simply upgraded speakers, using stock amp. Not the best "write-up" as it's mostly pix, but hopefully it will be a decent jumping off point for those interested in doing more. I just wanted a slightly better system as all my focus is on the performance (I'm not an audiophile, so my interest in this area is minimal). I left the stock center dash speaker alone, didn't feel like taking apart the dash, lol. Hope the pix help folks out:

Subwoofer:

3HumAMLT1sATjEg?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none.jpg

kN9VyBKDye7Pprw?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none.jpg

M80fnydXXkGcMpQ?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none.jpg

CD_ONghD3dTlszw?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none.jpg

bo2A3HO8QrU2urA?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front Door, didn't get any pix of the tweeter install (I was getting impatient, LOL). But it's pretty straight forward, it doesn't come out easy and there is some permanent removal you will be doing but, it is what it is. I made sure to wire it exactly the way it is from the factory and uses the passive crossover that came with the new tweeter. Yes, the ohm value did change so it's like putting some small additional strain on the factory amp, but it isn't driving low frequencies like a sub.:

Xh0l8xaMSbdrCgw?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none.jpg

JjQVieqaO8sFd_g?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none.jpg

w22qR3kpdTCGoGw?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none.jpg

Nice, how is the sub? Ive been thinking about upgrading the sub for a while as its mediocre at best. Saw a few good upgrade options but would need a new amp.. In mine, with the Sony package, there is no subwoofer control, only the usual base, treble and mid. So Ive been looking at options like you did or replacing the sub/adding an amp for more power.

Interested in your thoughts on this.

It's good enough for me. I have the Ford MFT Sync 2 with Sony Premium Sound System, so it was an improvement on that. But I'm not a big upgraded stereo guy. Maybe one day I'll get an upgraded Amp, but currently, I put more of an effort into the performance and am good with what some might consider "mediocre" as far as the sound system goes...

It's good enough for me. I have the Ford MFT Sync 2 with Sony Premium Sound System, so it was an improvement on that. But I'm not a big upgraded stereo guy. Maybe one day I'll get an upgraded Amp, but currently, I put more of an effort into the performance and am good with what some might consider "mediocre" as far as the sound system goes...

I have that same system in mine. I just like cleaner bass from an actual sub vs the door, woofer speakers. Just helps clean up the mid bass with a thicker bass from a sub. That kicker sub is a good one and Ive been looking at it for a while. Solid setup my guy! How much of a pain was it to get that rear panel off?

Hmmm, just noticed this post was moved from IVT category to this one. I would assume, using logic, that stereo related questions would go into the "In Vehicle Tech" section instead of the "Tuning" section, especially considering in the description/tags of the IVT section, it specifically has Sony and other audio related tags/descriptors in it and leave this category for "tuning" lol.

But upon closer review, those same descriptors/tags are also listed in the "tuning" section.

Whatever...a non-issue, just doesn't really make sense to me. Seems like it would clutter up the "tuning" section a bit...

At least the post is somewhere in the board, lol...

I have that same system in mine. I just like cleaner bass from an actual sub vs the door, woofer speakers. Just helps clean up the mid bass with a thicker bass from a sub. That kicker sub is a good one and Ive been looking at it for a while. Solid setup my guy! How much of a pain was it to get that rear panel off?
Wasn't too hard, but your asking a guy who will remove an entire drivetrain and say it's easy, lol...its all relative. I figured it out as I went, just removed sections as I slowly advanced. You do have to take off alot though. The rear door floor trim needs to come off...

Hmmm, just noticed this post was moved from IVT category to this one. I would assume, using logic, that stereo related questions would go into the "In Vehicle Tech" section instead of the "Tuning" section, especially considering in the description/tags of the IVT section, it specifically has Sony and other audio related tags/descriptors in it and leave this category for "tuning" lol.

But upon closer review, those same descriptors/tags are also listed in the "tuning" section.

Whatever...a non-issue, just doesn't really make sense to me. Seems like it would clutter up the "tuning" section a bit...

At least the post is somewhere in the board, lol...
It's a modification to the Explorer. The IVT section is for In Vehicle Technology related issues. This section is actually Tuning & Mods. ;)

Peter

Thanks for the write up. I assume the 3.5" speakers are all 8ohm stock ( that's what the center is rated at ) so the 4ohm ones would be a little louder but also loading the amp more. Shouldn't be a huge deal.

Did you deaden the inner door skin at all? Any reason for the MDF rings on the rear doors? Or was that done to get them to a similar mounting location as stock?

How did you wire up the sub? Do you remember what color wires were positive and which were negative?

Thanks again,

Chris

Thanks for the write up. I assume the 3.5" speakers are all 8ohm stock ( that's what the center is rated at ) so the 4ohm ones would be a little louder but also loading the amp more. Shouldn't be a huge deal.

Did you deaden the inner door skin at all? Any reason for the MDF rings on the rear doors? Or was that done to get them to a similar mounting location as stock?

How did you wire up the sub? Do you remember what color wires were positive and which were negative?

Thanks again,

Chris
Actually IIrC, the D pillars where like 6ohm or something weird. Could be wrong though. MDF was an adapter to get the plastic adapter to fit the stock location. Added bonus was that it brought it closer to stock location.

I deadened all 4 doors.

As for wiring, its dual VC. Basically 2 speaker connectors, one on each side. But just like any speaker, pos and neg. Pretty easy to tell when you have it apart, but it's been almost a year and I didnt take a pic, apologies for that.

Thanks for all the information. Did you wire the tweeters in using the stock wiring? I read that on other Ford Sony systems that the Sony headunit handles the cross over duties, but I am unsure. Looking at the wiring diagram it shows seperate runs for the tweeters. On my last ford truck ( non Sony) the tweeter were tapped into the main door wires but had a capacitor filtering the low frequency.

I guess I could use the cross over in the new speaker and run a new wire to the tweeter. Or use the existing tweeter connection.

Thanks again,

Chris

I used all stock wiring, for the front tweeters in installed the passive crossover that came with the tweets in between the stock wiring and tweeter. Wasn't sure about the stock system handling the crossover duties, so just used it anyway. Might not be the best way but its working for me....fingers crossed lol.

Great write up.

Very similar to mine.

Was the Kicker sun you used the 1ohm DVC version or the 2ohm DVC version

Thanks,

Chris

Now you need SYNC 3.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back