why the plastic guides on timing chain? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

why the plastic guides on timing chain?

@Thev6thatcould
I had no intention of discouraging you.....I've done every possible fix over the years "outside of the box" that you could think of. Got a lotta experience that way! Not sorry I did it, either! Get busy! imp
You didn't discourage me! I'm just trying to explain to the best of my ability what I'm set out to accomplish.

I'll keep you all posted! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forge one out of beer cans
Sounds crazy but just might work
I’ve got a fair background in metal casting (especially aluminum). If serious about casting one I’d source some 713 aluminum alloy. Also referred to as tenzalloy. It casts well, and starts out soft and easy to work with. As it sits it gets harder. It reaches a heat treated level of hardness in a little over 20 days. We had to use it on certain mill spec jobs, and if it sat to long dressing the castings up was a real bear. I’d never try and cast anything from cans. The amount of work and fuel it takes makes starting off with a known quality material worth it.

I’ve got a fair background in metal casting (especially aluminum). If serious about casting one I’d source some 713 aluminum alloy. Also referred to as tenzalloy. It casts well, and starts out soft and easy to work with. As it sits it gets harder. It reaches a heat treated level of hardness in a little over 20 days. We had to use it on certain mill spec jobs, and if it sat to long dressing the castings up was a real bear. I’d never try and cast anything from cans. The amount of work and fuel it takes makes starting off with a known quality material worth it.
To be honest casting one did cross my mind if one broke ....soo far never had one break must be luck or a pre oiler..... the beer cans was an idea because a friend and I just melt them down
He drinks a ton they melt fast he uses a very small propane powdered Kiln he likes to play with stained glass
But with this info I may make one when I need to it seems like a good idea what do you think

To be honest casting one did cross my mind if one broke ....soo far never had one break must be luck or a pre oiler..... the beer cans was an idea because a friend and I just melt them down
He drinks a ton they melt fast he uses a very small propane powdered Kiln he likes to play with stained glass
But with this info I may make one when I need to it seems like a good idea what do you think
Either way casting one and replacing the whole cassette would require removal of engine or removal of the transmission. I'm trying to devise a plan to create a cassette that can be installed without having to remove anything.

I don’t really think there will ever be a reliable solution to do it without yanking the motor.

I don’t really think there will ever be a reliable solution to do it without yanking the motor.
Reliable.....no. Temporary, maybe. And with a 19 year old vehicle I think most people are junking them rather than fixing them.

I doubt many people would want to tear into the motor for a “maybe” fix. Might as well cut your losses and take it as a lesson to do your research before buying a vehicle next time.

I doubt many people would want to tear into the motor for a “maybe” fix. Might as well cut your losses and take it as a lesson to do your research before buying a vehicle next time.
Probably about as many people as I can count on one hand. Including myself. I love explorers, I have 4 of them. Just something I like to tinker on and keep my mind wandering. Always one for exploring and finding new things to build. If push comes to shove, the motor will be on a stand in a year or so.

I love them as well, which is why I have the V8. I can keep it until the body falls off in 15-20 years.

I love them as well, which is why I have the V8. I can keep it until the body falls off in 15-20 years.
So funny you should say that. I'm the only guy in my neighborhood who puts their truck way up high and washes the undercarriage. Frame looks like its brand new.

I'm the only guy in my neighborhood who puts their truck way up high and washes the undercarriage. Frame looks like its brand new.

Don't see anything wrong with that.

Up in NJ the salt must be horrible.

So funny you should say that. I'm the only guy in my neighborhood who puts their truck way up high and washes the undercarriage. Frame looks like its brand new.
I’m too lazy for that. The car wash and fluid film does that sort of thing for me.

Sucks all the v8 explorers here are all clapped out or blown up hard to find I'm sure they come up for sale just not often I'll just have to stick with my sweet shoc

From what I’ve seen they are usually way overpriced or sell very fast. I had to drive 2 hours to get mine, and I put a deposit in it sight unseen.

... And whilst we're at it, some transparent valve covers would be great, so when the rattle happens I can see the difference between the guides being toast and the truck just being ornery on startup..

Almost 400K miles on the timing chain components on mine and no noise at all. 3000 mile oil/filter changes and not hot roding it is the secret to longevity of the SOHC engine. Someday, I have a dream of installing a 5.0 Coyote when the engine finally dies on mine.

Almost 400K miles on the timing chain components on mine and no noise at all. 3000 mile oil/filter changes and not hot roding it is the secret to longevity of the SOHC engine. Someday, I have a dream of installing a 5.0 Coyote when the engine finally dies on mine.
Gonna need some serious work, that’s a huge format motor.

Gonna need some serious work, that’s a huge format motor.
I put a 4.6 3v in a 98 Explorer with minor trimming. Had a donor Mustang GT so I had all the wiring. PCM, and all the drivetrain which made it much easier. With some planning I'm sure a 5.0 Coyote should fit as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You didn't discourage me! I'm just trying to explain to the best of my ability what I'm set out to accomplish.

I'll keep you all posted! :)
Did you ever accomplish this, trying to find one made out of metal myself, my name is Garry my number is 2563417718, cassette was just replaced 10,000 miles ago and the rear cassette is already broke again

Back