2020 Explorer brake issue | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer brake issue

Post number 113 has been selected as best answered.

My ST had this same serious safety issue. Dealer couldn’t even begin to understand the cause. Ford ultimately bought back the ST because of this and other issues that after 55 days at the dealer could never be resolved.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My ST had this same serious safety issue. Dealer couldn’t even begin to understand the cause. Ford ultimately bought back the ST because of this and other issues that after 55 days at the dealer could never be resolved.

What is the window of time after buying the vehicle that you have for a buyback? Mine has been at the dealer for 3 days and they say they cannot replicate the issue. I have opened my ST for about 8 months.

Ford ultimately bought back the ST because of this and other issues that after 55 days at the dealer could never be resolved.
Did you just change vehicles? What do you have now? Your profile still shows a 2020 ST.

Peter

Did you just change vehicles? What do you have now? Your profile still shows a 2020 ST.

Peter
Hi Peter, I was planning on keeping my ST for many years, but after the 5 months of ownership and 30+ issues and 55 days at the dealership I was done. Ford bought back the ST and I will NEVER get another Ford. This is how I think of Ford's quality control: If you or I were hired to do final vehicle inspections at the factory before the vehicles were shipped to the dealer, we would have found these issues immediately without any quality control training! Ford has some serious quality problems! I repaced the ST with a 2020 Mercedes GLC AMG 43. I still have my ST profile because I'm selling a bunch of things I bought for my ST and now can't use anymore: For Sale - 2020 Explorer ST, winter tire and wheel package.

-Jim

How is the GLC 43 AMG in terms of quality? I've always heard German cars are great to lease but never to own beyond 5 years. But I've been eyeing Mercedes because I like their styling.

What is the window of time after buying the vehicle that you have for a buyback? Mine has been at the dealer for 3 days and they say they cannot replicate the issue. I have opened my ST for about 8 months.
Hi Adam, Every state has specific Lemon Laws that are clearly defined. Once my ST was 30 plus days in at the dealer, with no ability to solve the problems is what triggered the event. I would video and photo every issue with your ST and keep a running spreadsheet. The video will help prove to your dealer what you're experiencing. Here's mine about the brakes not working: IMG_0246.m4v
-Jim

Hi Adam, Every state has specific Lemon Laws that are clearly defined. Once my ST was 30 plus days in at the dealer, with no ability to solve the problems is what triggered the event. I would video and photo every issue with your ST and keep a running spreadsheet. The video will help prove to your dealer what you're experiencing. Here's mine about the brakes not working: IMG_0246.m4v
-Jim

Thanks - the video is a great idea! It seems my brake issue is different than yours. With yours, your pedal goes to the floor and you can't modulate the break. My issue is (occasionally), after turning the car on and moving from park to reverse or drive, my car will start rolling but I cannot press the brake pedal down. It's like it only goes down a little bit, so I keep moving. I pump the brakes hard, then put the car back into park. The only way I have found to fix it is to turn the car off, then back on. After doing that, brake works fine.

How is the GLC 43 AMG in terms of quality? I've always heard German cars are great to lease but never to own beyond 5 years. But I've been eyeing Mercedes because I like their styling.
Hi Metroplex, as a replacement for the ST, I compared the Audi SQ5, BMW X3 M40i, and the AMG GLC 43. I chose the AMG because of the design, engineering, performance, and a level of service that second to none! Not only is it faster than the ST, but it also sounds incredible with the ability to hit a button and make it even louder! The lack of sound was a great disappointment in the ST when I found out that it's a fake sound coming through the speakers! I've only had the AMG for a short time so I can't speak to long term quality but my friend has a 10-year-old AMG C63 with 100K miles and it's been superb in terms of reliability and performance. So we'll have to see about reliability, but you can't get much worse that 55+ days at the dealer in 4 months of ownership with my ST.

Hi Metroplex, as a replacement for the ST, I compared the Audi SQ5, BMW X3 M40i, and the AMG GLC 43. I chose the AMG because of the design, engineering, performance, and a level of service that second to none! Not only is it faster than the ST, but it also sounds incredible with the ability to hit a button and make it even louder! The lack of sound was a great disappointment in the ST when I found out that it's a fake sound coming through the speakers! I've only had the AMG for a short time so I can't speak to long term quality but my friend has a 10-year-old AMG C63 with 100K miles and it's been superb in terms of reliability and performance. So we'll have to see about reliability, but you can't get much worse that 55+ days at the dealer in 4 months of ownership with my ST.
We looked at those. Not enough towing cap and way too small from 2nd row back. Just could not make it work, but the MB are nice.

Thanks - the video is a great idea! It seems my brake issue is different than yours. With yours, your pedal goes to the floor and you can't modulate the break. My issue is (occasionally), after turning the car on and moving from park to reverse or drive, my car will start rolling but I cannot press the brake pedal down. It's like it only goes down a little bit, so I keep moving. I pump the brakes hard, then put the car back into park. The only way I have found to fix it is to turn the car off, then back on. After doing that, brake works fine.

I am still experiencing this issue once a month. I can't replicate it reliably, so dealer is useless. It's very scary. I can now tell when it's about to happen - when I slowly let my foot off the brake, there are two audible clicks that happen as my foot is coming up. At that point, it becomes nearly impossible to press the brake back down. Those clicks happen before the vehicle begins moving and I have learned to put it back into park, apply the parking brake and shut off the ignition before restarting - that clears the issue. I've had it happen after shifting from P to R and P to D.

I am still experiencing this issue once a month. I can't replicate it reliably, so dealer is useless. It's very scary. I can now tell when it's about to happen - when I slowly let my foot off the brake, there are two audible clicks that happen as my foot is coming up. At that point, it becomes nearly impossible to press the brake back down. Those clicks happen before the vehicle begins moving and I have learned to put it back into park, apply the parking brake and shut off the ignition before restarting - that clears the issue. I've had it happen after shifting from P to R and P to D.
Similar situation here. When I back out of a parking stall I occasionally experience a brake pedal that is hard as a rock. that coupled with what seems like the accelerator adding gas on it's own makes for an exciting combo. I can stop but it feels like I've got my foot on the brake and the gas pedal at the same time. I've discussed it with the dealer and all I get is shoulder shrug. They don't even know where to start. Maybe when I finally back into someone/some thing, I'll be able to file a complaint with the NHTSA.

Our ST does this as well. I have found the issue to be completely repeatable. You have to step on the brake pedal to start the car. I have found if I press hard on the pedal when starting the car the problem will occur when backing. If I press lightly when starting the car, it will operate normally. I am guessing it has some sort of calibration function when starting and pressing hard on the pedal causes it problems.

Similar situation here. When I back out of a parking stall I occasionally experience a brake pedal that is hard as a rock. that coupled with what seems like the accelerator adding gas on it's own makes for an exciting combo. I can stop but it feels like I've got my foot on the brake and the gas pedal at the same time. I've discussed it with the dealer and all I get is shoulder shrug. They don't even know where to start. Maybe when I finally back into someone/some thing, I'll be able to file a complaint with the NTSB.

This was my thought process for issues like this and many other problems with my ST:

1. I bought a brand new vehicle under warranty so all systems should work perfectly. I shouldn't have to compromise on anything. It's a brand new vehicle!
  2. I shouldn't have to do research on forums like this to try to "self diagnose" the problems my ST had. Again it's a brand new vehicle!
  3. Ford and the Ford dealer have the responsibility to correct the problems no matter how long it takes them. This is a Ford issue, not the NTSB! Go to Ford, they warranty their vehicles, not the NTSB.

After two Ford dealers and 45+ days in service, they couldn't fix the issues and problems with my ST. So I pursued the buy-back option. My advice would be to start a spreadsheet and document every issue, the days at the dealership, the corrected (or not) outcome. Video or photograph every issue you see. Show your videos to your dealer to help them find and fix the issues if possible.

Every state has a lemon law that Ford must comply with. So you have this option available to you. Ford did the right thing and bought back my ST.

Best of luck to you!

-Jim

This video is exactly how it has happened to me. That change in brake noise/feeling sometimes happens prior to putting it in reverse.

Our ST does this as well. I have found the issue to be completely repeatable. You have to step on the brake pedal to start the car. I have found if I press hard on the pedal when starting the car the problem will occur when backing. If I press lightly when starting the car, it will operate normally. I am guessing it has some sort of calibration function when starting and pressing hard on the pedal causes it problems.

I think the hard press may be what causes it. I just lightly press the brake pedal now, and haven't experienced the problem in a while.

Hope you all are reporting this serious issue to NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration "report problem". Ford/Lincoln needs to get on the ball with this one. This is dangerous... almost as bad as having a vehicle rolling.
Unless you have this issue as well, there are no reported incidents from Aviator owners here. All are 2020 ST's with the exception of one Platinum.
I agree it should be reported as mentioned.

Peter

Ford will not pursue a fix model wide until they are forced to. If you can reproduce it with a hard brake press, I’d take it to the dealer and do it repeatedly.

I’d tell them to replace/adjust Things and call me back when I can press the brake pedal as hard as I want pre-start.

Thanks - I will find a safe place to try to replicate.

Ford will not pursue a fix model wide until they are forced to. If you can reproduce it with a hard brake press, I’d take it to the dealer and do it repeatedly.
I should do that, but not planning to interact unnecessarily with other humans for a while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone else get a hard brake pedal before starting the vehicle some times? I can replicate it if I unlock the car with the keyfob from afar instead of intelligent access. When I press the brake pedal it doesn't move until I hear a mechanical noise, then the brake pedal is normal. Wondering if it is because of the electric booster.
Has happened to me a few times. Foot on brake, put the car in gear and it starts rolling. Brake pedal won't depress any further, but it definitely was not all the way in, almost like it was locked or something. Only way to get it to stop is to put it back in park or neutral and let off the brake.

Back