• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer rattle

altasteven

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer xlt
Just got a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT. I have realized that doing freeway speeds I have a rattle of some sort coming from the driver side. Doesn’t affect anything at all is just annoying like something loose inside the dash. Maybe under the cluster panel? Anyone had this issue before I go taking everything apart? I have a video but can’t figure out how to post it. Maybe I’ll do a YouTube link later? It is also not the ac or radio. I turned both off. Sounds like a loose bolt or washer or something!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Does the noise increase and decrease depending on the speed you're driving? if so, it could be the cowl that is loose. Several members have reported issues with it. Ona 2016, I doubt that it would be the 'A' pillar. Sounds can be very difficult to pinpoint.

Peter

Does the noise increase and decrease depending on the speed you're driving? if so, it could be the cowl that is loose. Several members have reported issues with it. Ona 2016, I doubt that it would be the 'A' pillar. Sounds can be very difficult to pinpoint.

Peter
I would say yes it does increase. I only hear it at about 65+ and it is more constant if I do 75-80. When passing. Where is the cowl located? 😅

Peter

Here’s the best I could do. Sorry about the road noise but the “sound” you hear is louder in person. I did tape the cowl like others say to do but the sound was still very present.

Peter
Now let’s say it was the “a” pillar. Is that a repair or do I replace the whole thing? Is there some way to stop the noise at all without replacing it. IF it was that

If it was the 'A' pillar than it is likely that some clips my have broken. If that is the case, you have to replace the whole thing including the clips. Before doing that, I suggest doing the same thing as the cowl by taping it. Explorer 'A' pillar replacement

Peter

It's hard to tell where it's coming from, but any chance it's the air freshener in the side vent?
Does it sound like it's coming from up near the a-pillar?
Might want to start grabbing, pushing, pulling things around the dash to see if you can get it to go away.

It's hard to tell where it's coming from, but any chance it's the air freshener in the side vent?
Does it sound like it's coming from up near the a-pillar?
Might want to start grabbing, pushing, pulling things around the dash to see if you can get it to go away.
It wasn’t the air freshener. It was happening before hand. It sounds like it’s coming near the bottom left of the front windshield. I can’t say if it’s from inside or outside but it most definitely is near the driver side right near the glass I would say!

It wasn’t the air freshener. It was happening before hand. It sounds like it’s coming near the bottom left of the front windshield. I can’t say if it’s from inside or outside but it most definitely is near the driver side right near the glass I would say!
Our 2017 XLT has the same rattle location. Ours rattles more the faster you go. I'm thinking it's most likely from the cowling molding. At 57,000 miles it developed a new rattle in the drivers door. Plus there are other rattles in the vehicle, none that are super annoying enough to pay to try to have them try to be taken care of. Chances are they'll make thing worse by chasing after the rattles. Our 2005 Explorer with 198,000 miles is rattle free, always has been.

Back