Black Exhaust Tips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black Exhaust Tips

Mikey*TX

Reaction score
Liv'n in the hollow of an 'ol oak tree. ;-)
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 ST Star White
Not a fan of the factory chrome exhaust tips ................

So ............ $240.00 P&L later

3 down, 1 to go
IMG_20200514_154618.jpg
IMG_20200514_160633.jpg

Done ......................

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OD is 3". They are one piece as opposed to an inner and outer shell that is bonded. Thus, the inside is not perforated. I like the solid construction. I held one before installation. It was not light weight. I'm betting they are die stamped. :) They kind of stunk like a new exhaust system on a new vehicle. Burned off after a few days.
Mike

OD is 3". They are one piece as opposed to an inner and outer shell that is bonded. Thus, the inside is not perforated. I like the solid construction. I held one before installation. It was not light weight. I'm betting they are die stamped. :) They kind of stunk like a new exhaust system on a new vehicle. Burned off after a few days.
Mike
Thanks Mike. If you find out brand and where they were purchased from that would be great! Thanks again. Jim

Mike

I thought you ordered a Borla system a few months back??

I did ............... And returned it for a refund. After using forscan to turn off the artificial sound, why spend $1,2,00.00 to add sound ? Nah.

(fixed it)

I did ............... And returned it for a refund. After using forscan to turn off the artificial sound, why spend $2,000.00 to add sound ? Nah.
Mike, one more question. How quiet it is it in the cab. With the fake engine sound off? Thanks Jim

I did ............... And returned it for a refund. After using forscan to turn off the artificial sound, why spend $2,000.00 to add sound ? Nah.

Borla system with black tips is only $1,200. It ads not only sound but it adds performance.

Borla system with black tips is only $1,200. It ads not only sound but it adds performance.
Forddealz, I can’t wait to kill my fake engine noise but please don’t think your performance will be enhanced by adding the Borla system. That being said I will probably put the Borla S on our ST just because I would like to hear real exhaust sound. By the way just finished installing the Livernois tune. It’s great!! Jim

BORLA®'s patented flow through design and proper diameter mandrel bent tubing evacuate the exhaust gases out the system much faster and at a much greater temperature than factory exhaust. This results in performance gains in HP when you plant your foot and fuel economy at cruising speeds.

Peter

Drink the Kool aid ? I've had Borla, Corsa and Magnaflow on various Corvettes and Camaro's. The hp gain is miniscule. Tuning and long tube headers will give you gains. A catback system is more about looks and sound.

BORLA®'s patented flow through design and proper diameter mandrel bent tubing evacuate the exhaust gases out the system much faster and at a much greater temperature than factory exhaust. This results in performance gains in HP when you plant your foot and fuel economy at cruising speeds.

Peter
Ever notice Borla never posts numbers ? That's because a catback system simply creates noise. Having owned 15 Corvettes over the years, it took ARH longtubes, going catless and, one hell of a dyno tune to bump up the hp.

They did in one of the articles on the page I linked.
"We frequently see gains in the 8 to 12 horsepower range, sometimes much higher. However, every application is unique and environmental differences can affect the outcome, it is therefore not possible to give an exact number for your specific situation."

Peter

They did in one of the articles on the page I linked.
"We frequently see gains in the 8 to 12 horsepower range, sometimes much higher. However, every application is unique and environmental differences can affect the outcome, it is therefore not possible to give an exact number for your specific situation."

Peter

I think that says it all. One tuner for our cars has said in another forum that you are unlikely to any appreciable gains from a Borla exhaust without a tune on our vehicle.

Looks so much better, the stock tips are meh.

I went with polished 4 inch tips because I like shiny things lol
20200515_124801.jpg
20200515_124916.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you. My point exactly. The exhaust alone doesn't do squat.
That's not what the quote said Mike nor what themismosh actually said either. But apparently everyone has their own opinion. Several articles that say an exhaust system may improve performance. Me, I'll stick with the stock system.

Peter

Back