Thanks for allowing me to join. Hoping to learn about wiring needs for 96 4.0 engine swap into 87 BII | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thanks for allowing me to join. Hoping to learn about wiring needs for 96 4.0 engine swap into 87 BII

Btwo

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 bronco II xlt
Can anyone help a wiring challenged old guy understand what is needed wiring wise to swap a 96 explorer 4.0 into a 87 bronco two?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, I took the liberty of moving your thread and slightly rewording the title to help you get the help you’re looking for.
Paging @410Fortune

Welcome, I took the liberty of moving your thread and slightly rewording the title to help you get the help you’re looking for.
Paging @410Fortune

Thanks very much for the help! As you can see wiring is not my only challenge, we can add understanding technology to my list as well... thanks again

Heck yeah we can help you with this for sure
Do you have the entire 96 4.0 explorer donor?
What transmission is in the 87 Bronco II? 5 speed or auto?
What transmission do you intend to run behind the 4.0?

Welcome to EF!!

Heck yeah we can help you with this for sure
Do you have the entire 96 4.0 explorer donor?
What transmission is in the 87 Bronco II? 5 speed or auto?
What transmission do you intend to run behind the 4.0?

Welcome to EF!!
Thanks greatly appreciate the help. The bronco II has an automatic over drive now. I do have access to the entire explorer and planned to use motor and trans from the explorer. I would like to retain A/C.

the explorer is also an automatic?
You can keep AC for sure
The 87 BII 2.9L engine is the same block as the 96 4.0
The big obstacle here is the wiring, as you know a 96 4.0 is OBD2 computer. so you are looking at a full obd2 conversion for the 87....that is the tricky part. Otherwise the 4.0 and the 4r55e auto trans will mostly bolt in

Btwo:

I will offer anything I can, I am in the process of putting a 94 Ranger 4.0L ohv into my 87 Bronco II. 🍻🍻🍻

An OBD 1 would have been easier, but I swapped a 4.0 SOHC and 5R55E into a '94 Explorer. You will need the harness, ECM, and under hood fuse box.
I used the Ford EVTM (wiring diagram) books for both the '94, and in my case, '97 Explorers. I found them on Ebay. I recently replaced the 2.9 and A4LD in my 86 Bronco II with a '94 4.0, and M5OD from an Explorer.I used the Explorer harness, ECM, under hood fuse box, and accessories, including the A/C.

An OBD 1 would have been easier, but I swapped a 4.0 SOHC and 5R55E into a '94 Explorer. You will need the harness, ECM, and under hood fuse box.
I used the Ford EVTM (wiring diagram) books for both the '94, and in my case, '97 Explorers. I found them on Ebay. I recently replaced the 2.9 and A4LD in my 86 Bronco II with a '94 4.0, and M5OD from an Explorer.I used the Explorer harness, ECM, under hood fuse box, and accessories, including the A/C.
Thanks greatly appreciate your time and shared information. Have a great weekend

Any updates on your swap? I'm currently in process 95 explorer to 87 b2

Back