2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L. Engine Whine/Whistle Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Magana

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, I’m currently having an issue with my 18’ ford explorer. About a week after owning it, it started making a loud whine/whistle noise on the right side of the engine side. Already took it to the dealer and they have no clue where it’s coming from and is currently still there being checked since it’s on the right side where no pulleys or belts are located. Only does it why in idle or parked. A/C is off, radio is off everything that could possibly be related to making that noise is off. When the hood is open its kinda hard to hear it, but once you close the hood the noise is louder and can hear it coming from the driver side wheel. anybody have this issue or know what the problem might be? It drives me nuts because it’s so noticeable. I could possible upload the noise to YouTube or some and provide the link if that would help? Thanks

update: link to engine noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ours has done this since new and the dealer does not have a clue what it is.

In the 2.5 years we have owned the Ex, it has not gotten worse or better, so I am not going to worry about it.

kind of sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. Doesn't sound normal

kind of sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. Doesn't sound normal

yeah thats what they say at the dealership. But have no clue. Since no codes or issues are being caused by it. They tell me there’s no problem. Well that doesn’t sound like no problem to me. I did read about it maybe being the IAC valve. That even if no codes or issues are caused by it, it can still make a noise like that. Its still currently at the dealership and just waiting for a call back to see what they found IF any.

I remember reading about a way you can detect a vacuum leak. Hopefully someone will see this thread and point you in the right direction.

yeah thats what they say at the dealership. But have no clue. Since no codes or issues are being caused by it. They tell me there’s no problem. Well that doesn’t sound like no problem to me. I did read about it maybe being the IAC valve. That even if no codes or issues are caused by it, it can still make a noise like that. Its still currently at the dealership and just waiting for a call back to see what they found IF any.
Keep us updated, I would like to know what they find and if they have a solution. :)

So nothing! They don’t know so I just went ahead a picked it up. They didn’t even check the IAC valve because the tech is a hard headed old man and says it can’t be that. Didn’t hurt to check.

I'd take it somewhere else. It's obvious something is making that noise and doesn't sound normal.

Ours has done this since new and the dealer says its belt noise. But that whistle sure sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
It has not gotten worse or better.

Ours has done this since new and the dealer says its belt noise. But that whistle sure sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
It has not gotten worse or better.
Does the noise level increase/change when you rev the engine? If not, I doubt it's "belt noise".

Peter

Greetings from Russia. I have the same problem with my Exp'18. Did somebody find out what is the problem?
I think it goes from automatic transmission.
Here is yotube video:

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
What I heard seemed like wind blowing on a microphone. Can't say I heard anything out of the ordinary. Maybe someone else can pick it out.

Peter

What I heard seemed like wind blowing on a microphone. Can't say I heard anything out of the ordinary. Maybe someone else can pick it out.

Peter
Yes, mostly wind is heard. But in the background, exactly the same whistling is heard as that of topicstarter.
In any case, this whistle is a mass phenomenon. On the Russian forum, we have 5-7 people with the same problem.
One of them went to Ford service and the master in the service said that there are some nets in the transmission through which the oil passes and the so-called whistle is created.

Is it a problem at all? The transmission works well. I’ve been driving such a whistle for 40 thousand kilometers.

Greetings from Russia. I have the same problem with my Exp'18. Did somebody find out what is the problem?
I think it goes from automatic transmission.
Here is yotube video:

I can hear at the end of the video, mine does the same thing.

I can tell you its from the transmission, as you can shift from Reverse to Drive and it changes. It will also change pitch with manually shifting up shifting.

So I am convinced its the transmission. However, it has not gotten worse or better in mine, so I guess I wont worry about it?

I notice a squeaking noise during idle, faint but noticeable after the vehicle has been driven for about 15-20 mins. This happens when the vehicle is idling or if it’s in drive at the drive thru, hearing it echo off the wall. The squeaking does not change during acceleration or revving the engine. I thought it would be the accessory drive belt, so I replaced that and the belt tensioner. No dice. I poured some water on the bearings and pullys and the sound did not change.

I’m fact it’s coming from the driver side of the engine. I can’t for the love of God figure out what this is.

I’ve searched all over the internet and this forum and I can’t match the sound or find the same issue.

I’ve uploaded a video as well

Can't say I heard any squeaking but did hear some slight ticking noise that almost sounded like the plugs firing.

Peter

If you can, the squeaking noise happens more around the 30 second mark. Sorry I know it’s a little hard to hear over the ticking.

Hey everyone.

I took another video today where the noise is much louder now. Any ideas?

Hi All - I have the same exact noise, same timeline for showing up after warm up. I have taken it to two dealers here in the Portland, OR area, but neither is able to find anything they can actually diagnose. Searching on other forums and topics, I have seen that some believe it is the transmission and how it flows at idle through the filter (I am fairly sure it is in fact coming from the trans). The noise changes noticeably when shifting gears, however even with this info the dealer here stated Ford has no complaints to base a TSB on. Another 2018 at the dealership had a similar sound after warmup, but the 2016 there did not.

Hopefully someone will be able to get an answer soon, as this noise drives me crazy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I still don't hear it in the second posting. I guess getting older has some advantages.;)

Peter

Back