• Register Today It's free!

Brake job

technobandit96

Reaction score
City, State
Taylorsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
Never have I ever done a brake job. I have just paid people to do it. My last memory of one was on my cavalier and I dont remember what was wrong with it because time has past.
Anyways, should I start with the codes first or should I just change the brake pads and rotors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have an ABS light?

If so pads and rotors won’t fix it.

You will have to chase the code ONLY if you have an ABS light triggered on your dash display. You can buy an OBD II reader or maybe see if a parts store will read it for no charge. You can google search the resulting code to see what it means, and search this Forum for information about options and repair.

The pads and rotors are a separate issue. This might be more straight forward. This Forum and YouTube are effective sources of information on the pads and rotors.

Good luck.

Never have I ever done a brake job. I have just paid people to do it. My last memory of one was on my cavalier and I dont remember what was wrong with it because time has past.
Anyways, should I start with the codes first or should I just change the brake pads and rotors.
As others already pointed out, worn brake pads and/or rotors won't turn your CEL on or leave any codes. Hate to discourage you, but I would be very cautious dealing with brakes unless I had confidence in what I was doing, a good manual to guide me, and the right tools (a decent torque wrench comes to mind) - there is just too much at stake. On my first attempt to deal with brakes, ages ago, I ended with so much air in the system that the brakes didn't work at all and the car had to be towed to a mechanic. Turned out I managed to run the master cylinder dry, and it was hell even for the mechanic to bleed...

As others already pointed out, worn brake pads and/or rotors won't turn your CEL on or leave any codes. Hate to discourage you, but I would be very cautious dealing with brakes unless I had confidence in what I was doing, a good manual to guide me, and the right tools (a decent torque wrench comes to mind) - there is just too much at stake. On my first attempt to deal with brakes, ages ago, I ended with so much air in the system that the brakes didn't work at all and the car had to be towed to a mechanic. Turned out I managed to run the master cylinder dry, and it was hell even for the mechanic to bleed...
Huh. Well now that you say that might be safe to tow it to a mechanic. I do have a torque wrench that I bought recently to grow my arsenal. Might as well ask the shop who is willing to work on the brakes to also get the shoes (tires) as well.

Unless you try you’ll never learn. Second gen brakes are very straightforward. If you’ve ever done anything mechanical you could figure out the brakes. I’m sure there’s soup-to-nuts tutorials on YouTube. If you get into trouble and they don’t work, have a shop fix them.

First thing to do is actually pull a wheel and inspect the brakes. Do they even need replaced? Which light is actually on? The P! Light or ABS light?

First thing to do is actually pull a wheel and inspect the brakes. Do they even need replaced? Which light is actually on? The P! Light or ABS light?
The abs light itself

Back