• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Sport Coolant Flush

merlin0152

Reaction score
City, State
Farr West, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Question for the knowledgable. I had almost 70k miles when I recently did a coolant flush & fill. My concern is the amount of old fluid I was able to extract. The manual shows a capacity of 3.38 gallons, but I was only able to drain about 1.25 gallons. I pulled the radiator plug, opened the reservoir, got the engine up to operating temperature. Revving the engine pushed a bit more though when it initially seemed to stop, but ultimately, the 1.25 gallons. At the very least it was consistent because I replaced/flushed with distilled water and got the same amount out again. I'm of the understanding that the system will trap some amount throughout, but did not expect it to be this much (>50%). Does this level of coolant extraction seem correct?

Side note - I worry a bit that since I didn't get full extraction that the distilled water I put in, along with the 50/50 I replaced will have diluted the system. I'm thinking I may need to drain further and replace it with undiluted coolant before winter.
On a positive note, the coolant coming out looked pretty good. We do tow an RV with the vehicle so I would like to be precautious with the maintenance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are concerned about the strength of the antifreeze/coolant, you can always test it or have it tested. Here is one way that I've never heard of before. Coolant Testing with a Multimeter

Peter

If you want to remove all the coolant from the engine you need to take the block drains out. There will be one on each side of the engine and while I haven't looked on the 3.5 odd are that they are a 3/8" recessed square plug.

But as Peter said, if you are concerned about the level of protection you can test it to see what level of protection you have down to what temperature

If the member has a block heater, it would likely be in one of those drain holes.

Peter

Block heaters are usually in a freeze plug hole

Yes, you are correct.:banghead:

Question for the knowledgable. I had almost 70k miles when I recently did a coolant flush & fill. My concern is the amount of old fluid I was able to extract. The manual shows a capacity of 3.38 gallons, but I was only able to drain about 1.25 gallons. I pulled the radiator plug, opened the reservoir, got the engine up to operating temperature. Revving the engine pushed a bit more though when it initially seemed to stop, but ultimately, the 1.25 gallons. At the very least it was consistent because I replaced/flushed with distilled water and got the same amount out again. I'm of the understanding that the system will trap some amount throughout, but did not expect it to be this much (>50%). Does this level of coolant extraction seem correct?

Hi Merlin0152,

I just went through this as well and only got just over a gallon out each time also. I kept flushing with distilled water until it was almost completely clear:

Same deal here. Just flushed out the old coolant to replace the radiator (cracked) and, granted some already leaked out, but only about a gallon came out. Once i replace the radiator, flush, fill and burp, I'll see how much of the 4 gallons i have remaining

Same deal here. Just flushed out the old coolant to replace the radiator (cracked) and, granted some already leaked out, but only about a gallon came out. Once i replace the radiator, flush, fill and burp, I'll see how much of the 4 gallons i have remaining
Awesome. Nice to know this sounds like the norm, and I just didn't do something incorrectly.

Back