PLAN B Build | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLAN B Build

Some of you may know, and some may have suspected, but I'm starting a new project and it starts with a truck you all will recognize.

I picked up R.J.'s Navajo today. She is a little tired and was facing being parted out, but now will start a new chapter, a very different chapter. I give you Plan B.

(dead links)

So let's start off as to why "Plan B"? Well, it has multiple meanings.

• It starts off as I really wanted a early Bronco. I first learned to drive on Zukmans '71 Bronco he had years ago. But myself owning a early Bronco was not going to happen. There just way to ridiculous priced these days.:eek: So this is My Plan B.
  • JP is not going anywhere, I really just wanted to to do another build and JP is...well, JP!. It works, but it has a following and presence that really can't be changed....it's almost become, dare I say, an Icon of this forum. :jp: So this is My Plan B
  • The Navajo was on it's death bed. R.J. himself had already give it a time of death... :dead: So this is it's Plan B.....or maybe for it C...But for my plan, we'll say B :D
So what does the Plan B build look like? You'll have to watch and find out. But I'll give you some teasers..

• Starting Base : 1991 Mazda Navajo JX 4x4
  • SOHC - donor: 2000 Explorer Sport 4x2 103k
  • 5R55E - donor: 2008 Ranger FX4 45k
  • 1354 manual - still looking for
  • :sawzall: to smell the fresh air;)
  • Super Duty Axles - '99 F350 4x4 PSD
  • 40's - settling for 37's now
  • Grabber Blue
I think that should be enough to entice you all for now...

This is My Plan B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is that where the drone is gonna mount? :)
I love pics of your garage its like playing where's waldo except I call it "I have the same"
I have the same:
push broom
power washer
cherry picker
12 ton press
Sh*t I even have some explorer grills hanging from my ceiling too!
I wish I had that lighted Ford sign dealio and the flooding sign

Tire is gonna look great there

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Still have to wire it up....but...

20200510_122208.jpg

So nobody likes push button start buttons... Meh ok.

But people like tube.... :p so I'll build with tube..

Tacked together...

20200517_174346.jpg

So it grow up and become this...

20200517_181543.jpg

20200517_181601.jpg

ooooh la la I like pushbutton starts! Especially when your rzr is about 22 miles from the truck and you lost your key (wife)!
The next trip out we have pushbutton starters...I did not know they made them in blue! Nice touch.
Will the tire apparatus fold down enough to touch the ground? Looks great so far!

The push button start will still take a key... because PATS :rolleyes: but it's more like a key fob now, as you don't actually need to turn it in the key way.

For the the tire, I'm working on some ideas that involve the factory tire winch.;) Then the tire will swing down and stop once parallel with the ground.

Maiden Voyage Today.:bounce:

Took her around the block, it's her first time out of the driveway since coming home.

Good News: It drives, no odd noises, stops, steers all that good stuff.

Bad News : I got a check engine light, and a blinking O/D light. Some of this probably has to do with the tone ring is missing, so no speedometer.

However not sure the trans is shifting right. it hasn't been used in over 10 years....so who knows what everything is like in the inside.

Next step is to run the codes and see what we're dealing with.

20200525_175455.jpg

20200525_183126.jpg

Just re-read this thread start to finish over the weekend, man what a great job! Well done, still a few gremlins, but an impressive effort.

Trans is in limp mode.

I looked up the codes.... output shaft sensor... Looked under the truck, and I guess it would help if it was plugged in..🤦‍♂️ Must have forgot to plug it back in when I was working on the transfer case linkage.

Only other codes are the gas tank gauge... which I knew about, and the initial drive code.

drive it more!!!!!!!!!
Was the flashing OD light code P0500? The oss was not used with the OBD1 PCM's......
Standing by.................

drive it more!!!!!!!!!
Was the flashing OD light code P0500? The oss was not used with the OBD1 PCM's......
Standing by.................

No on the P0500, remember, it's a 2000 Explorer in a Navajo body now. OBD2, SOHC, 5R55E. There is nothing electrical left of the '91 but the windshield wiper motor.

What differential is in it now, does it have the ABS sensor?

What differential is in it now, does it have the ABS sensor?

It has a 8.8 from a '97 f150. Goofy bolt pattern and all. Then spacers in the front to match the pattern . Front was wided before.

R.J. didn't know I needed the tone ring, when he pulled the Detroit out, and put a different carrier in.

I have to do something with the rear end soon anyway. Pinion leaks leaks like crazy. I' m tempted to just #@*% it, toss the Sterling under it.

It has a 8.8 from a '97 f150. Goofy bolt pattern and all. Then spacers in the front to match the pattern . Front was wided before.

R.J. didn't know I needed the tone ring, when he pulled the Detroit out, and put a different carrier in.

I have to do something with the rear end soon anyway. Pinion leaks leaks like crazy. I' m tempted to just #@*% it, toss the Sterling under it.

That'll be it, the transmission needs the ABS/VSS to let the PCM control it right. It sounds cheaper to get the 8.8 rebuilt to add the tine ring and fix the leak.

That'll be it, the transmission needs the ABS/VSS to let the PCM control it right. It sounds cheaper to get the 8.8 rebuilt to add the tine ring and fix the leak.

The Sterling is stage 2 of the build. But, Yes it opens up a bigger can of worms, swapping in the Dana 50 into the front to match.

I have a carrier to swap in with the tone ring.

I'll sell you a bronco ii that has a tone ring in it

I'll sell you a bronco ii that has a tone ring in it

I traded Rockranger , Froaders old 8.8 axle for one, so I didn't have to take it apart... :p

Attachments

• 15906277007613221256745598017485.jpg
    15906277007613221256745598017485.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 210

Took another trip around the neighborhood today. Seems to be shifting fine and plenty of power. It's hard nailing down anything rattling due to the lack of a windshield. This was supposed to be installed this morning :rolleyes:, but was delayed due to availability.

In other news, got the tire carrier all tacked together today.

20200530_181937.jpg

And a fun pic...
20200530_182011.jpg

Availability for a Ford Ranger, Explorer Navajo windshield? Must be one of the most common windshields on the planet.

friggin thing is so sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had to wipe the drool off my keyboard just now
Well done

You have any spare hubs? I keep my spare warn hub inside my spare tire, bolted on the same studs, also a good spot for a rear camera or high mount brake light!

Back