Offroad / All terrain wheels and tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Offroad / All terrain wheels and tires

Davidl13

Reaction score
City, State
Bozeman, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I am considering a purchase of a new 2020 Explorer ST...I live down a long gravel road that only 10 ply tires survive on...

I want to remove the stock 20” wheels and put on 18” wheels and BFG k02 e rated tires..

does anyone know if 18” wheels will fit on the ST? And is there room enough for the BFG K02 in the wheel wells?

thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$286 ea from Discount Tire. I went with the Michelin Latitude run flats. The Black Rhino wheels have a lifetime structural warranty. Thay are forged and, model specific. I have all weather roads in my part of TX so I understand what you are dealing with.

truck-wheels-rims-black-rhino-mozambique-5-both-both-matte-black-std-250.jpg

Great news thanks.. Perhaps the dealer will
Let me swap for the xlt 5 spoke painted aluminum on purchase

thanks

Great news thanks.. Perhaps the dealer will
Let me swap for the xlt 5 spoke painted aluminum on purchase

thanks
If not, perhaps you would want to sell your 20s to me at a reasonable price

I am considering a purchase of a new 2020 Explorer ST...I live down a long gravel road that only 10 ply tires survive on...

I want to remove the stock 20” wheels and put on 18” wheels and BFG k02 e rated tires..

does anyone know if 18” wheels will fit on the ST? And is there room enough for the BFG K02 in the wheel wells?

thanks in advance

I do see more and more tire companies coming out with 21" in different types...

Just a quick search and look like this MIGHT be a solution...
Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus Tire 275/45R21 110W

1591546195601.png

thanks in advance
Welcome to the Forum David. :wave:
Perhaps this thread may provide some assistance; 18" Steelies
Also, you should be aware that unlike the generations prior to the 5th and 6th gens, this is not a typical offroad vehicle.
The 265/60R18 and 265/65R18 are the closest matches to your stock tires with only 2% diameter difference. The 275/65R18 comes in at the generally accepted nominal difference of 3% but may cause rubbing.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum David. :wave:
Perhaps this thread may provide some assistance; 18" Steelies
Also, you should be aware that unlike the generations prior to the 5th and 6th gens, this is not a typical offroad vehicle.
The 265/60R18 and 265/65R18 are the closest matches to your stock tires with only 2% diameter difference. The 275/65R18 comes in at the generally accepted nominal difference of 3% but may cause rubbing.

Peter

i saw the Thread on the Steelie.. thanks... I’m not trying to go Offroad... just for BFG k02 e rated all terrain 4 season ... so I don’t puncture my tires in my daily 10 mile round trip 60-70 mph on gravel roads journey..in extreme conditions in Montana... I have tried it on 20”s... they puncture.. I need the sidewall and e rated and max of 18 wheel to make sure.. with my fast driving style...

actually this vehicle is for my wife.. new baby had her outgrow a Jeep Grand Cherokee.. need the 3rd row space.. she likes the ST motor... And the size of the Explorer.. my job is to make sure she doesn’t get a flat... I know our roads well... Anything less than 10 ply and some sidewall is guaranteed disappointment... and at -40.. that is no fun at all and can be downright scary

On gravel roads I'd think those tires would pick up and throw a lot of stones/gravel. Perhaps splash guards may also be good idea to protect the body panels.

Peter

On gravel roads I'd think those tires would pick up and throw a lot of stones/gravel. Perhaps splash guards may also be good idea to protect the body panels.

Peter

I have big k02 on every vehicle... no chips.. mud and splash guards hold too much frozen slush and snow and becomes impacted

yeah, i have bfg ko on my other vehicle and concur they are actually pretty good at not throwing rocks. interested to see pics when you get the new tires installed.

I know you're looking to minus size, but this is the option I just went with to keep my OEM wheels - they have a size that fits the ST 20" wheels that came on my Explorer (the 255/55 R20 XL). Should give you the puncture resistance plus the three peak mountain snowflake.

I know you're looking to minus size, but this is the option I just went with to keep my OEM wheels - they have a size that fits the ST 20" wheels that came on my Explorer (the 255/55 R20 XL). Should give you the puncture resistance plus the five peak mountain snowflake.

Adam's option is worth a thought.
I always had BFG's on the '94, but come replacement time on the '05, a friend turned me on to the Falkens.
All around happier w/ the Trails, but needed to go more aggressive due to my hill, so sold em off, and went to A/T3W.
Bingo.
The tire has held up to every need- offroading(not serious 4x4), mud, snow, ice, sand(dunes!), highway.
As you can see I'm limited to capabilities, due to not wanting to lift the truck.
The A/T3W, will chip the finish w/ rocks driving @ speed w/o the flaps.

Isn't a +35 going to push it out a little far?
My 16 has +38's but they are 20x10, so I had to move them out farther.
The stock are +44 no? Or has that changed for the 2020??

Edit: I see the new 2020 is a +37.5mm so nevermind.

I know you're looking to minus size, but this is the option I just went with to keep my OEM wheels - they have a size that fits the ST 20" wheels that came on my Explorer (the 255/55 R20 XL). Should give you the puncture resistance plus the three peak mountain snowflake.

are these 10 ply ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are these 10 ply ?

I'm not sure. They are mild off roaders, with increased puncture resistance and traction, but not full on off roaders (so they are supposed to be good for daily driving). They pitch them as "on road/off road".

Back