Offroad / All terrain wheels and tires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Offroad / All terrain wheels and tires

I'm not sure. They are mild off roaders, with increased puncture resistance and traction, but not full on off roaders (so they are supposed to be good for daily driving). They pitch them as "on road/off road".

due to my severe gravel roads.. 10ply is the key.. I see on eBay a bunch of 18”OEM Explorer wheels are available for less than $200 each delivered... at this point i will Lease it for the wife, so I will need to return the lease with good tires.. (unless we buy it at lease end...so it is probably worth it to preserve the 20” wheels and tires and punish a set of 18” and some k02.. we pretty much wipe the tires out in about 36k miles.... the k02 have been 100% reliable for several SUV and trucks ... at times overloaded in a big way in very hot conditions... I hear great things about the falkens.. but it is difficult to switch when the k02 have worked so well, over time and under punishing conditions...

I appreciate everyone’s help!

with some good fortune we will drive it home soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

due to my severe gravel roads.. 10ply is the key.. I see on eBay a bunch of 18”OEM Explorer wheels are available for less than $200 each delivered... at this point i will Lease it for the wife, so I will need to return the lease with good tires.. (unless we buy it at lease end...so it is probably worth it to preserve the 20” wheels and tires and punish a set of 18” and some k02.. we pretty much wipe the tires out in about 36k miles.... the k02 have been 100% reliable for several SUV and trucks ... at times overloaded in a big way in very hot conditions... I hear great things about the falkens.. but it is difficult to switch when the k02 have worked so well, over time and under punishing conditions...

I've heard nothing but great things about the k02s - sounds like a great choice, and will fit your purposes better. Good luck!

Does anyone know what size(s) will fit?

E rates BFG ko2 size chart attached

Attachments

• 3BA21E7F-628F-49C3-8228-CE46CC935998.png
    3BA21E7F-628F-49C3-8228-CE46CC935998.png
    198.7 KB · Views: 199

The A/T3W is 10 ply.
Having sold the Trails, cannot say for sure.
I was under the impression it is just a tread difference.
Over the shoulder rib designs will protect from the sharp rocks, keeping that sidewall short helps!- as you know.
This thread has me thinking buy the Trails again, mount the on the factory chromes, and use during the summer months, just like the look of +2 so much better.
Living on this hill requires chains to tank up it, or an open tread that can dig and throw
Can you post a pic when you get set up?

The A/T3W is 10 ply.
Over the shoulder rib designs will protect from the sharp rocks, keeping that sidewall short helps!- as you know.
This thread has me thinking buy the Trails again, mount the on the factory chromes, and use during the summer months, just like the look of +2 so much better.
Living on this hill requires chains to tank up it, or an open tread that can dig and throw

sure.. trying to figure it it now.. short sidewalls are NOT your friend on gravel and washboards... larger sidewall means more Flexibility to bend and not break... as for looks.. I don’t care.. functionality is everything up here is the land where the temps can swing 120 degrees in a day or 2.. where dry, black ice, ice, snow, slush, wet,
Mud and gravel can all interchange in shockingly short distances...in 20 seconds or less...

No I don't. I'm the stock wheels and tires.

The A/T3W is 10 ply.

I'll post some pics of the Trails on my ST stock 20 inch wheels when the tires come in (which should be next week).

The A/T3W is 10 ply.
sure.. trying to figure it it now.. short sidewalls are NOT your friend on gravel and washboards... larger sidewall means more Flexibility to bend and not break... as for looks.. I don’t care.. functionality is everything up here is the land where the temps can swing 120 degrees in a day or 2.. where dry, black ice, ice, snow, slush, wet,
Mud and gravel can all interchange in shockingly short distances...in 20 seconds or less...
Got it. When I say short side walls, am meaning less area exposed. Your drive is natural rock, with crushed brought in?
I was thinking large and sharp.
One thing is for sure, if it works stick with it.
I don't like change, however in my case it worked out(after some trials).
Me thinks our driving style is similar. Point to the power lines, and we'll cover as much, and as fast, riding or driving.
This brings a question for a new thread......

In regards to the 18" wheels, what are they from? I don't believe an 18" wheel from the 5th gen Explorer will fit. I had 18" wheels for Winter on my 2017 Platinum but they wouldn't fit my 2020 Lincoln which has the same size as the 2020 Explorer. The center hob is different.
I believe the 2020 Interceptor steel wheels will fit and they are about $120 across the border in Canada.

Peter

I had the dealer take a wheel off an 18” 2020 xlt and put in on the ST.. no Bueno.. way too tight... so I have to find out if the platinum has the same brakes and rotors as the xlt.. maybe that will work...

If I can’t have 18” wheels, so I can have 10 ply tires.. it is a deal killer

Attachments

• D7D08F9A-010E-43F2-868F-B64293BDBDAA.jpeg
    D7D08F9A-010E-43F2-868F-B64293BDBDAA.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 196
  • F72B982A-988E-4069-ACE5-37ED9E2D1145.jpeg
    F72B982A-988E-4069-ACE5-37ED9E2D1145.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 182

Did the ST have the regular package or the Street Package? The Street Package has different brakes as does the Track Package.

Peter

Did the ST have the regular package or the Street Package? The Street Package has different brakes as does the Track Package.
Peter

it looks to me like the regular since nothing else is specified

Attachments

• 05BD2BC5-06B2-4D3F-8E92-301C899B197F.png
    05BD2BC5-06B2-4D3F-8E92-301C899B197F.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 188

The Street Pack calipers are red.

The Street Pack calipers are red.

you can see the pics above, the calipers, on the ST where the 18” just barely fit (as in unusable) are silver

Thank you David. The Platinum and Limited have the same sized OEM tire and more than likely the same HD brakes that the ST had that you tried to fit the 18" wheel on.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the dealer take a wheel off an 18” 2020 xlt and put in on the ST.. no Bueno.. way too tight... so I have to find out if the platinum has the same brakes and rotors as the xlt.. maybe that will work...

If I can’t have 18” wheels, so I can have 10 ply tires.. it is a deal killer
A member bought and installed the Police Interceptor 18" wheels on his ST without any issue. He used them to mount his Winter tires. Winter Rims / Wheels

Peter

Back