Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Ballistics Level III Testing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Ballistics Level III Testing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ballistic panels are made by BLS Textiles Inc in Cambridge Ontario Canada.

Ford is the leader but GM and Dodge are going to offer the panels for their pursuit models as well.

For 2017 Ford has gone up a Level and now offers Level IV protection which is a really big deal nowadays.

Kudos to Ford for spending the time and money.

How many members here own PIUs with ballistic panels? How common is this option? How difficult is it to remove or install the panels?

I've seen a few 16 and 17 PIUs come through auction with panels, but I don't think they are all that common due to their relatively high cost.

Even with the panels, there's a lot of exposure. No sense in half assing it when it comes to armor. If you need ballistic protection, its very expensive and heavy when done properly...

I've seen a few 16 and 17 PIUs come through auction with panels, but I don't think they are all that common due to their relatively high cost.

Even with the panels, there's a lot of exposure. No sense in half assing it when it comes to armor. If you need ballistic protection, its very expensive and heavy when done properly...

Ditto, I applaud the efforts by Ford. But how good is the glass and other exposure points? Every amount of protection helps, I would like that safer feeling behind the door panels if needed.

My '13 have them but the driver's door one is loose, maybe a cracked mount.

In case you want to try and replace the bracket or try tightening yourself here are some pictures from Chicago Assembly Police Upfit Factory Tour at the Chicago Mod Center. I watched the tech install a ballistic panel.

upload_2017-12-25_15-59-38.png

upload_2017-12-25_16-3-12.png

upload_2017-12-25_16-0-15.png

upload_2017-12-25_16-0-37.png

upload_2017-12-25_16-0-54.png

upload_2017-12-25_16-1-20.png

My 2013 PIU has 157K miles and I think the warranty has long expired, LOL. I called Ford last month amd spoke to Ford Fleet warranty because some 2013 PIU's have paint problems around rear lift gate lock. Mine has this issue. Ford said that service recall is only for original fleet owner.

They will warranty that for you.
Hey Sgt1411 - I am late on this, but, are you saying that Ford will warranty the loose ballistic panels even when the vehicle is out of warranty? I have a 2013 with ballistic panels that rattle every time I take a turn.

Hey Sgt1411 - I am late on this, but, are you saying that Ford will warranty the loose ballistic panels even when the vehicle is out of warranty? I have a 2013 with ballistic panels that rattle every time I take a turn.

I can't speak for Ford Warranty but first, if you pull the inside door panel I bet you just need to tighten not replace.

If that's not going to fix the issue I would contact your Government Sales Rep and see if he can get you some brackets.
They are pretty Heavy Duty from what I saw so I would be surprised if it was broken from anything other then a collision impact.

Go to www.fordpoliceinterceptor.com for support.

In case you want to try and replace the bracket or try tightening yourself here are some pictures from Chicago Assembly Police Upfit Factory Tour at the Chicago Mod Center. I watched the tech install a ballistic panel.

View attachment 153288
View attachment 153293
View attachment 153289
View attachment 153290
View attachment 153291
View attachment 153292
Hey man I am trying to get a set of these in my doors and I can't figure it out. I would really appreciate it if you had more pics or advice.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing this may not be a DIY job. I didn't see anything listed for the installation of those panels here when I expanded the bottom field and checked the 2017 unit; Publications | Body Builder Advisory Service

Peter

Hey man I am trying to get a set of these in my doors and I can't figure it out. I would really appreciate it if you had more pics or advice.
Send me a PM I will put you in contact with some Ford People who can assist.

I came across someone that had these and the front panels weigh 45 lbs each without including the weight of the brackets. This is for the Level III.

For anyone that was wondering.

Back