2013 Ford Explorer electric issue

josehf34

Reaction score
City, State
Miami
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Limite
Hello Guys!

I'm fixing a 2013 that was in a flood and the engine Hydrolocked. So far looks like the only damage was the engine because interior and computer seems to be like never were in contact with water, but I'm having an issue with the car

So far everything works except of mirrors control, windows control and the start stop button doesn't do anything at all. Already checked fuses and everything seems to be fine, inspected codes using a Launch X431 and all modules are clea. The car keeps saying no key is being detected so I replaced key FOB battery and put the FOB in the pocket inside the center console but the message is still there, also the car has the issue of request to "Shift to park" but I know that is a common issue and I believe doesn't has anything to do with the electrical issue

Any recommendation about what should I be looking for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If the engine was affected then likely the interior was as well. That might explain all the issues you are having. Have you checked to see if you are actually getting power to those control modules? Do all the interior and exterior lights work?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If the engine was affected then likely the interior was as well. That might explain all the issues you are having. Have you checked to see if you are actually getting power to those control modules? Do all the interior and exterior lights work?

Peter
Yes everything else works, power seats, radio, fog lamps, headlights, horn, I can actuate every single option in the BCM using the Launch OBD, is just like some section of the wiring harness is not getting power or acting.

I can't find signs of water inside the cabin, even the BCM was completely dry and full of dust, no signs of water contact and no rust in any electrical connector

Test to see if you have power at the connections at the modules that are not working. If there is no power then perhaps the modules are good and it may be a wiring issue. That would be a good way to start.

Peter

Test to see if you have power at the connections at the modules that are not working. If there is no power then perhaps the modules are good and it may be a wiring issue. That would be a good way to start.

Peter

Is there any chance for the Key Fob need to be reprogrammed after an incident like this? none of the two FOBs do anything (not lock or unlock doors)

Is there any chance for the Key Fob need to be reprogrammed after an incident like this? none of the two FOBs do anything (not lock or unlock doors)
I doubt it unless the module that holds the code in the Explorer was damaged. I don't know if that is the BCM or where it is stored. If the control modules such as the locks don't have power going to them then they won't work.

I doubt it unless the module that holds the code in the Explorer was damaged. I don't know if that is the BCM or where it is stored. If the control modules such as the locks don't have power going to them then they won't work.
The power locks are working if I actuate them using the buttons in driver and passenger doors. I think I will try to reprogram the keys first

Back