Sealing Roof Holes, clean looking and water tight, ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sealing Roof Holes, clean looking and water tight, ideas?

DHG2496

Reaction score
City, State
Fruitport, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer PIU 3.5EB
Does anyone have nice clean ways to seal up holes from lights and antennas on the roof. Mine came with a number of holes that have rubber plugs and a ton of sealant oozing from all around them, it works at keeping water out but looks a little ugly.

I'm not looking to weld/patch/paint the roof but wondering if anyone has done a nice clean job with something else that they think looks good and does a good job keeping water out. I had thought about magnetic antenna housings to go over these or maybe some nice painted metal or 3d printed pieces bonded with seam sealer or something like that. Any thoughts or pictures of what you've all done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used plastic plugs 3/4" seems to be popular size. I did glue them in with a clear glue from hd. 6000 something seems to be working fine.

I just used some fake cell phone antennas as there are 100's of styles out there. I went with smallish shark fins :)

I just used some fake cell phone antennas as there are 100's of styles out there. I went with smallish shark fins :)
Thanks @16vcabman and @Eric Z

Mine has some 3/4" plugs but a ton of caulk around them. I'll have to see if I can find some small antennas/shark fins, Should look better that what I have there now.

Agreed on the plugs. There are a number of bulk packs of hole plugs on Amazon with different sizes. 3/4" to 1" seem like popular sizes for police holes. Make sure you get one more for sheet metal. Some of the grommet styles are meant for thicker metal.

Also, THIS stuff will absolutely 100% seal that plug in place forever. Don't use it unless you are absolutely sure. 😂

3M Urethane Seam Sealer, 08367
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9ZR8HO/?tag=serious-20

Back