• Register Today It's free!

Noise from door panel

asc325is

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT 202A
I swear that I saw a post about the door lock cables not being secured within the door panel leading to a rattle noise coming from each door at lock speeds over rough or uneven pavement. Has anyone has this experience? It sounds like the metal cable inside the plastic sheathing is rattling back and forth.

Has anyone been able to correct this?

TIA - I've been trying to find that specific post for about 3 weeks and it's driving me crazy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not found any posts on that issue. I did find one on rear door rattles but that had to do with the way the panels were attached, not the door locking cables.

Peter

@asc325is

Sounds plausible.

Remove the inner door panel/card, take a look inside, and report back.

LINK to YOU TUBE Instructions:

@asc325is

Sounds plausible.

Remove the inner door panel, take a look inside, and report back.
I think taking it back to the dealer first is the best step since it is new and under warranty. That way they can't say the owner created the problem.

Peter

I think taking it back to the dealer first is the best step since it is new and under warranty. That way they can't say the owner created the problem.

Peter

I hear you.

I also have a feeling what the service dept diagnosis will be :)

I hear you.

I also have a feeling what the service dept diagnosis will be :)
I can just hear it.

I’ll need to pick a different dealer, the one I bought it from didn’t bother to send me registration paperwork to state 2.5 months ago when I bought it. I had a 2020 xlt loaner and I don’t remember the noise, so maybe it’s as simple as hoping in one with a tech so they hear the difference.

maybe I’ll pop a door panel off this weekend early before the heat hits here in Houston. It looks like a pretty straightforward process.

I’ll update if I get anywhere.

Any updates on this? I seem to have a rattle as well on the drivers side door when I close it. All the other doors don't have it. Pretty sure it's something loose inside.

Any updates on this? I seem to have a rattle as well on the drivers side door when I close it. All the other doors don't have it. Pretty sure it's something loose inside.

My noise is only while the vehicle is moving over a rough surface.

It appears to be heat/expansion related. In Houston, our temps have been pretty high. This morning it was rather cool outside and there was no noise from the doors.

I'm betting that when I leave work this afternoon it will be making noise again. I saw a thread about door seals, it may be related.

Betting this is it.

Has there been any resolution for this issue?

Back