Adding an Apple CarPlay radio

MrRothstein

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
Howdy,

I've been thinking about adding an Apple CarPlay radio to my 2014 PIU. However, the only options I see available are insanely expensive replacement kits that turn the entire console into a huge screen.

Has anyone encountered a way to do it in some other way? Like taking out the upper bit of the console and leaving the AC control bits in place? And then adding some aftermarket CarPlay radio? Are there kits available for that?

Has anyone of you done anything like that and can point me out which parts I would need and what's the best way to go about doing it?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What audio does your vehicle have in it, stock? Is it any sync version? I am under the impression that the PIU does not have any sync version.
I know you can get the bezel on Ebay that has the a/c controls on it and an 8" opening for the screen. While mine is a 15 xlt, it came with sync2 and I upgraded to sync3 in order to get carplay. If yours does not have any sync version, your only alternative would be to but the bezel and head unit that can be wired to your vehicle via pigtail. Check with Crutchfield and see if there are any options for your vehicle.
I have used the Pioneer avh4000nex before on older explorers and other vehicles, that had carplay, but the sync systems use the apim to control too many functions for an aftermarket head unit to work.

See my thread if you have an android tablet around or you don't mind buying a third party android device and running it off the dongle.

See my thread if you have an android tablet around or you don't mind buying a third party android device and running it off the dongle.
That's interesting, but what I don't understand is how you get the sound from the Android tablet into the car speakers.

What audio does your vehicle have in it, stock? Is it any sync version? I am under the impression that the PIU does not have any sync version.
I know you can get the bezel on Ebay that has the a/c controls on it and an 8" opening for the screen. While mine is a 15 xlt, it came with sync2 and I upgraded to sync3 in order to get carplay. If yours does not have any sync version, your only alternative would be to but the bezel and head unit that can be wired to your vehicle via pigtail. Check with Crutchfield and see if there are any options for your vehicle.
I have used the Pioneer avh4000nex before on older explorers and other vehicles, that had carplay, but the sync systems use the apim to control too many functions for an aftermarket head unit to work.
It has the standard radio, no sync. Manual AC.

How much was that altogether? I've seen this kit online, it wasn't cheap. Plus the radio itself. Also, what type of radio do you have there and how well does it fit?

it was just under $300 for the kit and I used a alpine ilx-w650. It’s depth is about half of standard head units. Plenty of room for all the wiring.

That's interesting, but what I don't understand is how you get the sound from the Android tablet into the car speakers.
That's Bluetooth. It passes your phone audio to the device and the device to the stereo via fm.

Back