Transmission Growl/Whine - Transmission Cooler Leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Growl/Whine - Transmission Cooler Leaking

scottfmc

Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Platinum
My 2020 Limited has developed a transmission growl/whine at lower speeds. The sound cuts in and out under slow speed acceleration and almost seems like it may be related to power levels being transferred to the front wheels. At first it was intermittent, but now it is present in every acceleration from stop or slow speed. There is no feeling of loss of power, but the noise is distinct and fairly loud as though something is rubbing that should not be. I plan on taking the vehicle into the dealer in a next few days, but was wondering if anyone knows of anything similar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, mine has the same with the added bonus of when romping on the accelerator it will make weird mehcanical transmission noises. Mine is currently in the shop for it. Been told it's a leak in the transmission that is causing this. A bit hard to believe but my service advisor swears this is the cause. Apparently there is a service bulletin about this that doesn't hit my build sequence but has all the characteristics of the issue. Well see. Very disappointed this is happening to a less than year old vehicle.

Have they said what the fix is?

My hunch is the trans cooler is leaking and the fluid level is low. These transmissions seem very sensitive to fluid level and the lack of fluid is causing strange behavior.

VERIFIED CONCERN OF TRANS IS NOT SHIFTING CORRECTLY AND WHINE NOISE WHILE DRIVING.FOUND THE TRANS COOLER LEAKING FLUID.RAN OASIS GOT TSB 20-2086 STATES TO REPLACE THE TRANS COOLER WITH REVISED COOLER WITH NEW BRACKET. Correction: INSTALLED NEW TRANS COOLER WITH REVISED BRACKETS AND BOLT.FILLED TRANS WITH NEW FLUID.CLEARED THE TRANS SHIFT TABLES AND DTCS.PERFORMED THE ADAPTIVE DRIVE CYCLE AND RERAN QUICK TESTS NO DTCS.RECHECKED NO LEAKS.VERIFIED REPAIRS

I looked up that TSB and it does not mention that it applies to the 2020 Explorer. It goes up to 2018. Ford may have to revise it again.

Peter

Peter it looks like you grabbed TSB 20-2028. It was TSB 20-2086.

Whoops. Close though. I did, however, search for the correct TSB number but didn't notice the number on the resultant TSB was different.:banghead:
I removed the link.
Thanks Scott.

Have a 2020 Explorer XLT with 7500mi and noticed a whine noise the other say. Today I look in my driveway and noticed about 10 drips of transmission fluid where I park. No other issues and the FordApp says everything is fine. Can’t check the level cause there is no dipstick but there is fluid near where the pan is at under the car. Anyone have the same problem or any ideas? Service appointment is Mondayz

Attachments

• 87C8D1D3-5835-4A69-A11B-DC3E9556EEDF.jpeg
    87C8D1D3-5835-4A69-A11B-DC3E9556EEDF.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 192
  • 963B97C1-EE2F-4C38-86CF-34DC349041EE.jpeg
    963B97C1-EE2F-4C38-86CF-34DC349041EE.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 638

Have a 2020 Explorer XLT with 7500mi and noticed a whine noise the other say. Today I look in my driveway and noticed about 10 drips of transmission fluid where I park. No other issues and the FordApp says everything is fine. Can’t check the level cause there is no dipstick but there is fluid near where the pan is at under the car. Anyone have the same problem or any ideas? Service appointment is Mondayz
Known issue, trans cooler leak. It will be replaced along with an updated bracket.

Known issue, trans cooler leak. It will be replaced along with an updated bracket.
Even though it’s leaking near the pan and not anywhere near the cooler(which I assume is near the radiator)?

@Billy Dunwoody

Check out Post 24 of the following link - pic looks pretty close to yours! Hope that helps!

LINK: Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans
Thanks!
Update: Had it towed to the dealer yesterday cause it lost a good amount of fluid and I wasn't going to try to drive it. Of course the "transmission guy" wasn't in and I am also having the driver seat squeak again like they fixed 3 times before. No rental with warranty and dealer does not give loaners. On the phone with Ford Corporate to see if they will approve another rental like the last time when I had to get my doors repainted and the seat fixed. Hope the transmission isn't damaged internally.

Thanks!
Update: Had it towed to the dealer yesterday cause it lost a good amount of fluid and I wasn't going to try to drive it. Of course the "transmission guy" wasn't in and I am also having the driver seat squeak again like they fixed 3 times before. No rental with warranty and dealer does not give loaners. On the phone with Ford Corporate to see if they will approve another rental like the last time when I had to get my doors repainted and the seat fixed. Hope the transmission isn't damaged internally.

@Billy Dunwoody

Smart move getting your Ex towed to the dealership.

It looked like a pretty big leak, and add to it the "whine" - why take the chance driving it there and making a bad situation worse.

Thanks for the dealer/transmission/seat update - all valuable information for us!

Also good info on the previous rental car approval by FORD Corporate in lieu of no loaner cars being available.

When you're on the phone with them trying to get them pay for the car rental, it couldn't hurt to try to get the towing paid for by FORD Corporate - or at least part of it.

They may say that's not normal procedure - BUT I'd say the flipside is you could have driven it there with low fluid, possibly costing them a new transmission and labor...

Good luck and let us know how it all works out!

Towing should be covered under the complimentary 24/7 Roadside Assistance program. Ford does not offer loaners/rentals. That is spelled out in the Warranty Guide. When a dealer provides one, it is at their expense. Like anything else, exceptions may be granted.

Peter

My dealer used to regularly offer loaners, but due to COVID-19, they stopped because (a) they did not want to deep-clean the cars after each customer use, and (b) they hardly have any inventory due to plant slow-downs. Their lot is practically empty compared to its usual state.

Towing should be covered under the complimentary 24/7 Roadside Assistance program. Ford does not offer loaners/rentals. That is spelled out in the Warranty Guide. When a dealer provides one, it is at their expense. Like anything else, exceptions may be granted.

Peter
Yes, towing was free and scheduled through the Ford app which was easy. The dealer said they aren't offering loaners due to Covid but they told me before Covid they only offer loaners to customers who bought vehicles from them or if Ford authorizes it. Still waiting for an update as the drivers seat is messed up too even though they replaced foam and replaced the seat pan months ago. I am going to try and get an extended warranty from Ford for free as inconvenience as this will be the 4th time the seat is in for repair, I have had both rear doors re-painted due to factory defect and the tranmission has been in two times.

My dealer still offers loaners to customers, even to owners of other brands. The last time a loaner was delivered, the driver had the seat covered in plastic. He wiped down the entire area around the driver's position and did the same to my vehicle. The process was carried out in reverse when he returned my vehicle and picked up the loaner.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: Trans cooler is leaking and will be replaced in 2 days when it comes. After that they will re fill the trans and road test it and further check to make sure nothing else is damaged. They will then move onto the drivers seat squeaking for the 4th time. Ford rep left a message for the service advisor asking him to approve a rental for me through Enterprise since they dont do loaners and havent heard back. No suprise there.

Back