Switch from 5w30 to 5w20 in the Explorer - Tech Service Bulletin | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switch from 5w30 to 5w20 in the Explorer - Tech Service Bulletin

FordJimbo

Reaction score
City, State
NYB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Oddly, I searched and saw only minor reference to this sorta big deal that impacts this era 5.0L (and maybe, it's unclear) 4.0L Explorers. But not the 2001s. Read the TSB. It's very difficult to interpret about the 4.0L Explorers.

Ford's Technical Service Bulletin states that a lot of models formerly recommended for 5W30 are now recommended for 5w20.

This is interesting. I recently purchased a LOT of 5W30 on sale at Costco. Thankfully, I have other vehicles that can use it. I also purchased a LOT of 5W20 for a couple other vehicles. Now I just have to make a mental note and probably change it in the owners manual and on the engine.

I recently took my Explorer to a nearby Midas that offered a free semi-synthetic oil change coupon. I was unaware of this TSB. As is good practice, I confirmed with them what they were putting in - a Wix branded filter and IIRC Castrol semi-blend 5w30. They did a great job. When I got home and was filing the paperwork, I noticed the actual mechanic put in 5W20. I called them up, and they hinted it's changed but did not explain or show me the TSB, so they drained it all out and refilled it with 5w30.

To their credit they took a "customer is always right" approach. But in this case I would have liked to have been told I'm wrong and shown the TSB.

Anyway, before anyone else makes a similar tool of himself (or buys a big amount of 5W30), be aware that Ford has retroactively changed recommendations on a lot of its older vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the TSB Ford admits the reason for the change is for greater fuel economy.
They don't mention engine longevity...

Oddly, I searched and saw only minor reference to this sorta big deal that impacts this era of 4.OL Explorers. But not the 2001s. Read the TSB.

Ford's Technical Service Bulletin states that a lot of models formerly recommended for 5W30 are now recommended for 5w20.

This is interesting. I recently purchased a LOT of 5W30 on sale at Costco. Thankfully, I have other vehicles that can use it. I also purchased a LOT of 5W20 for a couple other vehicles. Now I just have to make a mental note and probably change it in the owners manual and on the engine.

I recently took my Explorer to a nearby Midas that offered a free semi-synthetic oil change coupon. I was unaware of this TSB. As is good practice, I confirmed with them what they were putting in - a Wix branded filter and IIRC Castrol semi-blend 5w30. They did a great job. When I got home and was filing the paperwork, I noticed the actual mechanic put in 5W20. I called them up, and they hinted it's changed but did not explain or show me the TSB, so they drained it all out and refilled it with 5w30.

To their credit they took a "customer is always right" approach. But in this case I would have liked to have been told I'm wrong and shown the TSB.

Anyway, before anyone else makes a similar tool of himself (or buys a big amount of 5W30), be aware that Ford has retroactively changed recommendations on a lot of its older vehicles.
I don't see any 4.0 Explorers: 1995-2001 that require 5W20?
"NOTE: IF VEHICLE IS NOT LISTED IN THIS APPLICATION, SAE 5W-30 OIL IS RECOMMENDED."

I don't see any 4.0 Explorers: 1995-2001 that require 5W20?
Sir, you may be correct. I will amend the original posting.

It is admittedly a poorly drafted and vague TSB, but here's the pertinent information I gleaned from it.

" It is recommended ALL vehicles on the following Vehicle Application Listing be service with SAE 5W-20. "
" 1997-2001 EXPLORER "
"1997-2001 5.0L Explorer/Mountaineer "

Then it later excludes the 4.0L 2001 Explorer, which doesn't make sense, stating this should continue to use 5W30. But the 4.0L wasn't changed, or was it???

Sir, you may be correct. I will amend the original posting.

It is admittedly a poorly drafted and vague TSB, but here's the pertinent information I gleaned from it.

" It is recommended ALL vehicles on the following Vehicle Application Listing be service with SAE 5W-20. "
" 1997-2001 EXPLORER "
"1997-2001 5.0L Explorer/Mountaineer "

Then it later excludes the 4.0L 2001 Explorer, which doesn't make sense, stating this should continue to use 5W30. But the 4.0L wasn't changed, or was it???
It's in Engineer's Technico-Legal jargon. Since the 4.0L engine isn't enumerated specifically inside, it falls under the final statement: "NOTE: IF VEHICLE IS NOT LISTED IN THIS APPLICATION, SAE 5W-30 OIL IS RECOMMENDED."

I may be thinking it wrong but I changed to 10W30 on my 2 1997 4.0 SOHCs because of high mileage. I've been doing this 8 months of the year except for December, January, February and March which I use the recommended 5W30.
The 10W30 designation on engine oil means that the viscosity of the oil is rated at 10W when an engine is cold and 30 when the engine is hot. This is different than an oil labeled 5W30, which has a thinner viscosity when the engine is cold at 5W.

If you live in extremely hot climates, that may not be a bad idea.

In the TSB Ford admits the reason for the change is for greater fuel economy.

Forgive me, why does Ford care about the fuel economy of a vehicle that was produced some 30 years ago?

Because this engine was built up to 2011

Have you ever disassembled a 4.0
Use 5w30

@C420sailor I'm in north Alabama where tomorrow it's suppose to be 91 degrees and up to 101 heat index. Last year in October we were topping out at over 100 degrees heat index in the afternoons. We joke about it but it's really serious, we might have about 2 weeks of spring like weather in the spring and about 2 weeks of fall like weather in the fall. I remember several times at Thanksgiving wearing shorts. Our winters have been getting a lot colder, but it still only snows here 2 to 3 HOURS during winter.

If I read the TSB correctly, it recommends the following motor oils:

1997-2001 5.0L Explorer/Mountaineer
5W-20

2001-2002 4.0L Ranger, Explorer/Mountaineer, Explorer Sport, and Explorer Sport Trac
5W-30

Forgive me y'all about getting off topic about the weather. BTW for years I'ved used 10W40 in all my 289 and 302s.. And if I had a really wore out 302 I would use 20W50. At this point I honestly don't know what grade oil that I have in my 1997 5.0 Mountaineer.

Well I don't care what Ford, or anyone else, recommends. I use full synthetic oil in all my vehicles. SOHC's 5W30 and 10W30 in my high mileage 5.0L's and I'm not about to change. In my daughter's 3.0L V6 Fusion I'm using 5W20, but I may switch to 5W30 in the future. I live in GA where it doesn't get very cold during the winter and it's super hot during the summer. I don't trust 20 weight oil protecting my crank and cam bearings when it's 100 degrees out. JMO, you can use whatever brand and weight of oil you like.

Me and @koda2000 have almost identical weather, particularly the high temperature and high humidity 7-8 months out of the year.

I run 5W40 in just about every vehicle I own, primarily out of convenience.

Weight selection on multiviscosity oils isn’t as critical as old single weights. When I first bought my airplane, the previous owner ran SAE50 in it. It was a Florida bird. I flew the plane north, and had a bottle sitting in the plane overnight when the temp dropped to 35°.

It was literally molasses thick. I could uncap it, turn it over, and start the clock...it would be a while before it approached the spout.

5W vs 10W isn’t going to make or break you, especially since most of our engines are pretty run out at this point, but I’d stick with the OEM recommendation or very close. If you feel better running that slightly heavier oil in an old engine or in a very hot climate, have at it. A 15W or 20W? I’d be very very hesitant.

That said, this is where an actual oil pressure gauge comes on really handy...

The latest oil quality is far far better than any oil from 40 years ago. The recommended viscosity is almost meaningless. Any new oil will protect under all conditions better than any 20+ year old oil. So each person's choice should be based on the location you're driving in, the weather/part of year, and what the hell you want to run. Ignore the TSB's and other oil tech crap, it's a waste of your brain's time to think about it.

I like a few synthetic oils, Amsoil the most, but that's overkill for anything but a new, or perfect condition engine that doesn't use oil. I go with what will be best for the engine and its condition. My 95 Crown Vic has a hurt 4.6 engine, someone over revved it when it was a police car. It broke one valve spring and has always had a little extra rattle from the right VC area. So I put a 40 weight oil in that, 5w or 10w or 15w, that doesn't matter. If I was up North , I'd avoid a 20W/50 oil, because of the Winter etc.

Those TSB's are based on the assumption every vehicle is operated in the exact same conditions. They aren't obviously, so what they suggest is a compromise which is not ideal for everyone. Use your own brain, it is not hard to decide what is best for your vehicle, figure it out and ignore the OEM and service recommendations. That takes less time and thought, than to waste time hunting and reading all of those new TSB's etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you ever disassembled a 4.0
Use 5w30
I have disassembled/assembled a wealth of engines, and gernaded more than a few-- none of them a 4.0.
and yes, I use 5w30 in the SOHC, until she gets yarded come spring

Back