Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

I live in Hawaii, and we only got one Ford dealership. I have a 2013 Explorer, and my dealer is refusing to fix the CO. Anyone experience this situation, where they wanted to charge for the fix?

You were merged with the very first thread on the forum that goes over all of this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I live in Hawaii, and we only got one Ford dealership. I have a 2013 Explorer, and my dealer is refusing to fix the CO. Anyone experience this situation, where they wanted to charge for the fix?
Have you noticed the exhaust smell issue? I didn't on mine and really wasn't going to get the 'fix' done but the dealer actually suggested getting it done. Since it is offered by Ford as a free repair, I don't see how the dealer can charge you for it.

Peter

Have you noticed the exhaust smell issue? I didn't on mine and really wasn't going to get the 'fix' done but the dealer actually suggested getting it done. Since it is offered by Ford as a free repair, I don't see how the dealer can charge you for it.

Peter
17N03 expired, they might be referencing that and the dealer is being particularly obtuse about the updated recall/CSP that was sent out.

17N03 expired, they might be referencing that and the dealer is being particularly obtuse about the updated recall/CSP that was sent out.

As posted on the previous page in post 274, it isnt expired.

Screenshot_20190806-202956_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I think the dealership knows, they are just playing stupid. It is the only ford dealer on the island, and they train the employees to argue with the customer. If I were to question that the service is free. I dont know how ford allows for them to carry their name brand, when ford is all about customers.

Love how they use a picture of the 2020 which has nothing to do with this.

Not to mention it came out in 2017....one post and so concerned for the family but you wait until June 2019 to take it in. Seems a bit odd to me.

Also the term ended March 31, 2019 for 11-15s and is still in effect for 16 and 17s until December 31, 2019
I just got a 16. I am going to make an appointment to check if it needs the repair! Thanks.

Exhaust smell unbearable. 2018 3.5L Limited Explorer, Do I have missing bolts? How many should I have per manifold? Sorry if a posted this twice.

IMG_3440b.png

IMG_3789b.png

It starts in November.

I read TSB-044 and it is mostly filled with verifying and sealing holes/gaps, if they exist. What I’m curious about is why the TSB only applies to the NA 3.5? Is it the consensus here that it is only this engine with the exhaust odor?

This is noy a fix. Only to make u feel better. The problem is that the exhaust manifolds are cracking on the underside of the manifold on the runners. Find a scope with a light and you see it. If your car is under 80k miles. The dealer has to fix it under the emissions laws. If not. Grab a lawyer card before u go and they will fix. Mine is being replaces. Both manifolds are cracked and repair cost was 2600 but not out of my pocket. Dont fall for this seal your car up. They are fine.

^ I agree. I'm going to get a CO meter just to verify but I don't smell any exhaust fumes (I know co is odorless)

Get on a on ramp and floor it up to 65 and then let off gas. Thats when your manifold will leak the most.

It is a fix meant for the rear issue. True, it does not address the exhaust intake from the front but then it's not for that problem. The leak from the front has its own thread.

Peter

I noticed a smell on my 2017 Limited. Do I just call up my local dealership and say I want it fixed?

I noticed a smell on my 2017 Limited. Do I just call up my local dealership and say I want it fixed?
Exhaust or rotten egg (sulphur) smell. The later can sometimes occur under hard acceleration as well and should dissipate in a few minutes. I had the work done on my 2017 Platinum although I didn't have the issue. I had not planned on having it done but the dealer wanted to do it when I had in for routine maintenance. I suppose contacting the dealer would be the first step. Are you the original owner?

Peter

Exhaust or rotten egg (sulphur) smell. The later can sometimes occur under hard acceleration as well and should dissipate in a few minutes. I had the work done on my 2017 Platinum although I didn't have the issue. I had not planned on having it done but the dealer wanted to do it when I had in for routine maintenance. I suppose contacting the dealer would be the first step. Are you the original owner?

Peter

I did smell it more under hard acceleration, but I haven't had that happen to me since I had an 87 GT Mustang. I just don't think that should happen on a newer car such as a 2017 Explorer.

Several members have had buybacks done. Perhaps not for this particular issue but vehicles have been bought back mainly through the 'Lemon car' process. At times, dealers themselves have stepped up on a trade-in. BTW, the member you quoted was last seen here on July 15, 2019 so the post may be useful info for others.

Peter

It isnt a recall, it was a customer satisfaction program. Ford has said there was no issue with CO. Many members on here have bought CO detectors and there are no issues.

There was more to the program then muffler replacement. Many had the plugs in the tailgate replaced, HVAC reprogrammed and the vents under the bumper replaced with more robust ones. This was the fix for those who worried. For those who "complained" more about an odorless smell, a few got the exhaust tips.
It is a fix meant for the rear issue. True, it does not address the exhaust intake from the front but then it's not for that problem. The leak from the front has its own thread.

Peter

Wow, I've had my 2016 Ford Explorer XLT all of a week now, and I just noticed this thread, and it has thrown me for a loop. (I figured the Explorer and I would happily grow old together.) So far, and the SUV is in great shape for having 150K miles, I have noticed no cabin smells, however, I have not done some of the things (hard acceleration, A/C recirculate) that led to noticing the issue.

For what it's worth (I realize 17N03 & 19N05 are not technically recalls), I entered my VIN# in the Ford recall site and it said "No recalls*"

The big thing would seem to be the CO, but blwnsmoke's post (quoted above) makes it seem like CO, despite all the media press to the contrary (and really, do we trust Ford?), is not an issue.

And based on peterk9's post (also quoted above), it seems 17N03 and 19N05 address different problems.

And I suppose since neither 17N03 or 19N05 are recalls, I could do nothing.

Or, since it has expired, I could try to get Ford, not the dealer, to authorize the 17N03 repairs.
And I could get 19N05 done, which is current till July 31, 2022.

Perhaps someone could, briefly, tell me what 17N03 and 19N05 are meant to address so I would know what symptoms to look for?

<sigh> Hard to ask for suggestions at this stage, but any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

I didn't have any of the issues either but the dealer did insist that the one dealing with sealing the rear opening be done. From the invoice;
"Recall 17N03B Underbody inspection and sealing air extractor, inspection liftgate drain valve replacement, liftgate weather seal inspection, liftgate spoiler inspection, climate control module reprogramming MGL" (this was on the 2017 Explorer, 09Apr19)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Am I conscious of the issue? Yes. Have I taken the manufacturers recommended steps to minimize any risk? Yes.
^ By saying this, did you get the 17N03 fix or are you going to get it?

Back