Help diagnose backup clunk?

Brem95

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Explorer Sport OHV
Hello, I just have a quick question, I asked something similar before but now I have it pinned down.

When Vehicle is cold and I back up
(1997 sport 5 speed manual)

I sometimes hear a clunk then a “zzzzzzzz” sound but still reverses. I normally pop it out of gear and put back into reverse even though after the sound it still reversed... just makes me cringe

It almost seems like it’s out of synchro. Would this be a clutch issue (time to replace) or something else?
Cheers

Not a whole lot of information to go off of as to what (or where) the noise is from. Have somebody stand next to car as you put it in reverse and see if noise is from front or back of car. That might help pinpoint location. Could be clutch issues, rear diff noise, might be transfer case problems. Check fluids in tranny, TC and diff to start with.

Not a whole lot of information to go off of as to what (or where) the noise is from. Have somebody stand next to car as you put it in reverse and see if noise is from front or back of car. That might help pinpoint location. Could be clutch issues, rear diff noise, might be transfer case problems. Check fluids in tranny, TC and diff to start with.
I believe it’s coming from front, rear dif fluid has been changed, transfer case is leaking slowly at the shaft seal which I fill up and will be continuing to fill up occasionally until I start the rebuild on a donor tc I have this winter. Tranny fluid has also been changed a year ago and no leaks
Maybe some minor sweating.

It’s when I back up and I feather the clutch so I can control the speed that it happens. I’m thinking it’s the clutch because it sounds almost like it’s not f
Engaging or disengage as I do so.

sometimes when I engine brake it does the same thing without the clunk.( zzzz or stripping sound)

Update- could this be bad synchros? Any input?

Back