LOCKONS7RA7US

Reaction score
City, State
Everett washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 , eddie bauer
Callsign
Taco Run
Hey all, so I have a slight problem not really a issue but I installed the monster cooling electric fan on my 92 Eddie bauer . The temperature sending unit for the gauge was swapped with basically a temperature switch for the fan . So now I don't have a temp gauge to see how hot I'm getting or anything of the sort just have to hope the fan is running n cooling .. i still have the factory wire for that temp sending unit still untouched on the harness is there anything out there aftermarket that I can still utilize the factory temp gauge or will I have to run a whole new temperature gage system.

Thanks Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As someone whos been going through multiple E-fans from SPAL to OEM Fords to Volvo's I am curious about what fan you purchased and how effectively it works assuming you're using A/C in the summer. As for your current dilemma, I would say go grab an inline adapter for your manifold to heater core line to place your grounding sensor in and return your stock gauge to normal operation.

As lol said and also you need to get a infrared heat gun and check your temps and make sure it is staying cool, dont just assume its working because it isnt boiling over on you yet.

What kind of fan and controller are u using
Also some pictures would be great

I'm using a flex a lite system and love it

96AWD5.LOLthanks for theheads up on that i will look in too , i guess the ore you know haha.
donalds - would you recommend having a controller >?

cause as it sits the monster cooling kit came with a 16 inch fan , a relay a themeral switch ( which replaces the stock sending unit has 12volts from ignition going in then when it reaches 180 degrees then is sends that 12 volts to the relay to kick on ) and the wiring harness and mis equipment for intalling fan and wiring . i was just going to use the oem gauge, i tested with a temp gun and it drops the temps 15 - 20 degrees in no time . i will post pics here shortly to show what im working with .

96AWD5.LOLthanks for theheads up on that i will look in too , i guess the ore you know haha.
donalds - would you recommend having a controller >?

cause as it sits the monster cooling kit came with a 16 inch fan , a relay a themeral switch ( which replaces the stock sending unit has 12volts from ignition going in then when it reaches 180 degrees then is sends that 12 volts to the relay to kick on ) and the wiring harness and mis equipment for intalling fan and wiring . i was just going to use the oem gauge, i tested with a temp gun and it drops the temps 15 - 20 degrees in no time . i will post pics here shortly to show what im working with .
Yes
It's nice it will vary speed
Start with the a.c.
Soft start so your alternator will be happy
Handles 45amps power

I've had no problems
Solder your connections

Yes
It's nice it will vary speed
Start with the a.c.
Soft start so your alternator will be happy
Handles 45amps power

I've had no problems
Solder your connections

I should note that I'm running a electric fan and did a a/c delete so the motor isn't working very hard as much as it did with ac .

Install photos shortly

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201002-103624_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201002-103624_eBay.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20201002-103614_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201002-103614_eBay.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20201002-103608_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201002-103608_eBay.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 89

That resembles the kit I put on my 5.0 ranger. Has worked fine for years and years.

real quick i added the inline adapter and put in the sender in it and cut and spliced the wire to make it longer to reacher heater core lines. so i can use the stock gauge in the car . but upon installing it andgetting thecar to run to check and see if thegauge works n what have you. the gauge isnt moving/ working . heat gun check the unit andits at like 170 but doesnt show that on the temp gauge on the dash did i miss something >? the gaugeiknow was working with that same sender unit prior to the swap is their a way to test the sender and or gauge or it there a fuse that i could have blown or something >? can see the pics i attached to kinda seewhat i did

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    507.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 1121.PNG
    1121.PNG
    55.5 KB · Views: 93
  • car.jpg
    car.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 80

real quick i added the inline adapter and put in the sender in it and cut and spliced the wire to make it longer to reacher heater core lines. so i can use the stock gauge in the car . but upon installing it andgetting thecar to run to check and see if thegauge works n what have you. the gauge isnt moving/ working . heat gun check the unit andits at like 170 but doesnt show that on the temp gauge on the dash did i miss something >? the gaugeiknow was working with that same sender unit prior to the swap is their a way to test the sender and or gauge or it there a fuse that i could have blown or something >? can see the pics i attached to kinda seewhat i did

I see. The OE sensor needs a ground. I thought you were going the other way around with the sensors, temp sender in factory location and new in the inline. Either way you will need a ground since the OE was supposed to ground on the intake. With the inline there’s no place to ground to currently. Run a wire from a common ground on the firewall to the inline sensor. You can also test your new extended wire for the factory sensor by attempting to ground out the lead. This should cause it to read full hot in the gauge. KOEO or KOER.

I'm lost now. If your temp gauge worked why put in a new one? The fan can come on stand alone or with the prob provided stuck in the radiator, given its that style. I hope it works for you. I would just use a infrared temp gauge to make sure its staying cool with as much load as you can put on the engine.

Back