Switch Captains Seats for Bench | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switch Captains Seats for Bench

I didn’t really like the bench in my 2016 Explorer as only the single-piece seat could position adjust back and forth while the larger, two-seat side was fixed in place. Also, the bench seats were pretty uncomfortable vs the captains I had in my 2012. I had sworn off a bench in my next ride till I checked it out in the new Explorer. Things have changed with the 2020 in my opinion. The wider area and 3 single split seats that make up the bench are quite comfortable. The side seats in particular are very similar to captains chairs with the versatility of a bench. Also, with the side chairs being able to forward-and-back adjust, I can give both my boys more room for their chairs. Lastly, I could see us dropping the middle seat and laying a towel over it to give our kids a picnic space for long rides. The bench seat in the 2020 is much better and I think its the better option if hauling 5 is a semi-common task.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lastly, I could see us dropping the middle seat and laying a towel over it to give our kids a picnic space for long rides.

Wait a second, you can fold down just the middle seat? In my 2017 that I currently have, the middle seat is connected to one of the side seats and they only work together.

Wait a second, you can fold down just the middle seat? In my 2017 that I currently have, the middle seat is connected to one of the side seats and they only work together.

Yes, the bench was changed in the 2020. It’s wider and made up of 3 separate-folding parts. It makes good use of the added 6” width of the vehicle.

Yes, the bench was changed in the 2020. It’s wider and made up of 3 separate-folding parts. It makes good use of the added 6” width of the vehicle.

Oh wow, that's great info. That is a great feature. Not to mention, that could make it possible to access the 3rd row by folding down the middle bench seat. Obviously not an ideal situation but certainly possible I would think to climb over the lowered seat.

The bench is now a 35/30/35 as opposed to the 60/40 in the 5th gen. It is a $495 option on all but the Base trim.

Peter

The bench is now a 35/30/35 as opposed to the 60/40 in the 5th gen. It is a $495 option on all but the Base trim.

Peter

yeah that's a wonderful improvement. I love the feature on my cx5.

We have 3 kids and opted for the bench. It's a difficult-to-quantify apples/oranges comparison. If you need to seat 7, you need the bench. Otherwise, you have to decide which is better for you.

Bench pros

You can seat 3 across the middle without having to climb into the back
You can haul 7
You can haul 5 with the back row flat for cargo.

Bench cons

If you need to put someone in the back, access is harder than captains chairs
You lose the ability to carry long stuff in between the captains chairs.

Captains chairs pros

Easy access to the 3rd row
Easy place to put long items between the chairs

Captains chars cons

If you have 3 kids, you have to use the 3rd row and you immediately lose at least half of your cargo area
I doubt that a kid can move from front to back without stomping all over every square inch of the between-seat console with muddy/snowy/dirty shoes.

It's a trade off.

We have 3 kids and opted for the bench. It's a difficult-to-quantify apples/oranges comparison. If you need to seat 7, you need the bench. Otherwise, you have to decide which is better for you.

Bench pros

You can seat 3 across the middle without having to climb into the back
You can haul 7
You can haul 5 with the back row flat for cargo.

Bench cons

If you need to put someone in the back, access is harder than captains chairs
You lose the ability to carry long stuff in between the captains chairs.

Captains chairs pros

Easy access to the 3rd row
Easy place to put long items between the chairs

Captains chars cons

If you have 3 kids, you have to use the 3rd row and you immediately lose at least half of your cargo area
I doubt that a kid can move from front to back without stomping all over every square inch of the between-seat console with muddy/snowy/dirty shoes.

It's a trade off.
I forgot is the 3rd row seat 1 or two parts? I mean I guess you could leave half down

You can leave down half. 3rd row is a 50/50 split, at least in the XLT.

Yeah, 3rd row is 50/50

I have the bench seat in the back and i have no kids lol

This is my first explorer (hence the username choice) and i got it because i wanted to try out an SUV this lease. All my previous leases have been smaller compact cars/sports cars.

Anyhow i wish my XLT came with captains chairs. It would make the interior more "sporty" rather than "family oriented".

The 3rd row seat i keep folded down. I would have zero use for those seats ever.

Out of curiosity, has anybody with the 35/30/35 removed the middle seat completely? I believe it is on a separate frame and can be unbolted from the floor with relative ease, though I haven't messed with ours myself. I have been considering removing it as we don't use the middle too often and would like some flexibility.

No one has posted that they have removed it so I'm guessing that answer would be NO, unless you want to be the first. ;)

Peter

Out of curiosity, has anybody with the 35/30/35 removed the middle seat completely? I believe it is on a separate frame and can be unbolted from the floor with relative ease, though I haven't messed with ours myself. I have been considering removing it as we don't use the middle too often and would like some flexibility.

Wait, you mean the backseat bench seat??

You can take them off for sure. Now is it an easy task? That's another story. I don't know if you're asking as if you're implying you want relatively ease of putting them in and taking it out in minutes? Probably not.

But the reason why i know you can take them out was because my friend is a detailer and he had the backseat removed on a limited because the kids had spilled a gallon of milk all over the backseat floor lol. So he had to take out the seat to clean the carpet. So it obviously can come out. I never asked him how easy was it or now long it took though. I would assume about 1 hour to take out the entire backseat.

Hey guys, Im not sure if this is the correct place because while everything is stock, I'd like to add the rear bench to replace my captains chairs. When I bought the Explorer there were none that I wanted that had the rear bench, so we went ahead and got the one with everything else we wanted. After owning for 6k miles now, I think the bench should have been a must have. I see a ton for sale on ebay, most from police vehicles, is putting the bench in as simple as buying one and bolting it down, or are there other changes? I know Ford usually makes one model for all trims and stuff is usually bolt on, but I wanted to make sure before I pulled any triggers. Thank you for the help

Watching this thread intently. I've a lot of musical instruments, sound system gear and an upright bass that need to fit. It's workable now, but would be better with a bench.

My dealer told me the captains chairs can’t be swapped for a bench, the bolt positions are different, and has to be done at the factory.

I have a 2021 Explorer XLT. It has the 2 Captains seats in the 2nd row. I would like to replace the seats with a bench seat. Does anyone know if I'll have trouble doing this and what years might interchange?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone else posted about this, wont be a simple job or might not be do-able. The bolt positions are different on both chairs, different mounts on the floor.

Back