• Register Today It's free!

Heater fan

StonyPointer

Reaction score
City, State
Stony Point NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Heater/AC blower on my 2001 Eddie Bauer, began working intermittently, more off than on. I replaced the resistor and right away it worked fine for 3or4 day, and then returned to the same issue. I checke the blower motor. It operates fine wire direct. What should I look for now?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@StonyPointer

Just for clarification; When you say the blower motor "operates fine direct wire" - is the blower motor out of your Ex, and on a work bench with 12 volts hooked up to it?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking perhaps your problem wasn't the resistor, as that usually a case of "my blower motor works BUT only on one speed".

I'm thinking it's likely that your "intermittent" issues are worn OR stuck brushes that are now making contact with the armature due to you fidgeting/working/removing it/benching the blower motor assembly.

HTH, welcome to the forum, and report back -

^^^^. Yep.

Another item to check is the relay, located under the air filter box. I just changed mine which was sort of melted to its electrical connection under there, and which kept the blower fan from working.

Previously cleaned up the worn brushes in the blower motor itself a few years ago. The corroded and dirty brushes caused very intermittent blower motor operation, which could be temporarily “fixed” by tapping the blower motor casing.

Good luck.

@StonyPointer

Just for clarification; When you say the blower motor "operates fine direct wire" - is the blower motor out of your Ex, and on a work bench with 12 volts hooked up to it?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking perhaps your problem wasn't the resistor, as that usually a case of "my blower motor works BUT only on one speed".

I'm thinking it's likely that your "intermittent" issues are worn OR stuck brushes that are now making contact with the armature due to you fidgeting/working/removing it/benching the blower motor assembly.

@StonyPointer

Thats right,fast_dave

@StonyPointer

^^^^. Yep.

Another item to check is the relay, located under the air filter box. I just changed mine which was sort of melted to its electrical connection under there, and which kept the blower fan from working.

Previously cleaned up the worn brushes in the blower motor itself a few years ago. The corroded and dirty brushes caused very intermittent blower motor operation, which could be temporarily “fixed” by tapping the blower motor casing.

Good luck.
Thanks, Mr. Aligaror, and fast_dave. Looks like I wasted my money on the resistor. A couple pecks on the fan motor with my trusty Buck pocketknife, makes it run every time! 245,000 miles, maybe time to replace the fan motor!

@StonyPointer

Hope the following info helps you!

OK - If you can GENTLY remove the squirrel wheel fan from your Blower motor, ROCK AUTO sells JUST the motor.

The blower motor is manufactured by VDO / CONTINENTAL, for just $18.37 plus shipping!

The part you need is: VDO / CONTINENTAL PM271

NOTE: It's the same blower motor for a 2001 EB Explorer regardless if you have a V-6 or V-8

Here's a 5% off discount code towards your order.

5% Discount Code: 419628834C2E50

Expires: January 18, 2021

Enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount.
Enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

howHear2.gif

PM271-Front__ra_p.jpg

PM271-Back__ra_p.jpg

PM271-Connector__ra_p.jpg

You are getting closer.

If tapping the casing helps, I think you should be able to pull the blower motor out and clean the brushes and the stator. When you remove the blower motor, this task will be obvious. Just slip the motor out of casing to find years of corrosion on the contacts.

Advantage number one: free. Advantage number two: the twenty(+) year old OEM fan is almost surely better than the aftermarket junk being sold.

Good luck.

You are getting closer. If tapping the casing helps, I think you can pull the blower motor out and clean the brushes and the stator. When you remove the blower motor, this will be obvious. Just slip the motor out of casing to find years of corrosion on the contacts.

Advantage number one: free. Advantage number two: the twenty(+) year old OEM fan is almost surely better than the aftermarket junk being sold.

Good luck.
Thanks, Mr. Aligator.
Sounds like good advice to me.

34d6a99b236829880bb73f67a8b9c8208d.jpg

Te vas a sorprender cuando veas como luce...

gameofglam.com​

You are getting closer. If tapping the casing helps, I think you can pull the blower motor out and clean the brushes and the stator. When you remove the blower motor, this will be obvious. Just slip the motor out of casing to find years of corrosion on the contacts.

Good luck.

6f791238-067d-4a0d-a747-814450eb9f95.jpg

Doctors: Which of you are the most burned...
Virtually every doctor experiences burnout, but some specialties report it in...​
healthgrades.com​

Good luck.
Thanks, Mr. Alligator. Sound like good advice. Sorry for misspelling your name earlier. I am having trouble making corrections when I preview my posts. Maybe I’ll figure it out eventually.

@StonyPointer

Hope the following info helps you!

OK - If you can GENTLY remove the squirrel wheel fan from your Blower motor, ROCK AUTO sells JUST the motor.

The blower motor is manufactured by VDO / CONTINENTAL, for just $18.37 plus shipping!

The part you need is: VDO / CONTINENTAL PM271

NOTE: It's the same blower motor for a 2001 EB Explorer regardless if you have a V-6 or V-8

Here's a 5% off discount code towards your order.

5% Discount Code: 419628834C2E50

Expires: January 18, 2021

Enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount.
Enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

View attachment 322580

View attachment 322581
View attachment 322582
View attachment 322583
Thank you, fast_dave.

@StonyPointer

I agree w/ what @Mr. Alligator wrote.

Repairing the factory motor is much more satisfying (and free) than just swapping out old for new.

At the same time, I don't know what you feel more comfortable with?!?!

So now you have both options!

Come around here more often don't be afraid to ask questions or offer advice - you'll feel more comfortable with using the forum.

Please close the loop by letting you know what road you took and how it worked out!

Say - If you do choose to open up your old fan motor - take some pics and show us and others what to expect and how to fix it ;)

Heater/AC blower on my 2001 Eddie Bauer, began working intermittently, more off than on. I replaced the resistor and right away it worked fine for 3or4 day, and then returned to the same issue. I checke the blower motor. It operates fine wire direct. What should I look for now?
On my 1995 XLT the terminal plug was rusted in place. I soaked the connector in a zip lock bay fill with some rust killer solution. If you can get the terminal out of the connector, uses a wire brush to clean than off. My blower has been working fine so far. I have all the fan speeds

On my 1995 XLT the terminal plug was rusted in place. I soaked the connector in a zip lock bay fill with some rust killer solution. If you can get the terminal out of the connector, uses a wire brush to clean than off. My blower has been working fine so far. I have all the fan speeds
I had an intermittent problem that forced me to get out and tap the housing to get started but it also affected my speedo to the point that when the fan was on hi, the car registered 20 mph while in park and the odo registered accordingly too. I ordered a new motor unit from amazon. Upon removal, the armature was badly corroded on half the shaft. When fully replaced, no problems with speedo and the motor worked better than the old one and it has been about 6 months since the change.

Thank you, fast_dave

Back