• Register Today It's free!

Tire fault sensor

James Wiseman

Reaction score
City, State
Naples
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 sport trac 4.6 liter
I had an intermittent tire fault error whenever I traveled more than 20 miles. Recently the tire fault on the dash stays on. (Left front) I learned how to retrain the sensor to no evale. I purchased a tpms relearn tool. This did not work either. I thought by tire rotation this would fix the issue. It did not and the dash continues to show a fault at the same tire location before rotating. (Left front) Does this indicate a bad sensor that needs to be replaced? And do I need to put that tire where it originally was? I did try to relearn the left front but it did not work.
2008 sport trac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you drive the truck after changing the wheel position? The system should pickup on the new wheel position (it might take 10-25 miles for the system to relearn). If so, it would be a good guess that the battery in the sensor has failed (ten years is the estimated life span for the batteries, although many last longer).

Did you drive the truck after changing the wheel position? The system should pickup on the new wheel position (it might take 10-25 miles for the system to relearn). If so, it would be a good guess that the battery in the sensor has failed (ten years is the estimated life span for the batteries, although many last longer).
I actually stopped at the ford dealership. I inquired about the sensors. It turns out the wrong sensors are in the tires. They require the ones that attach to inside of the wheel (band)

if the problem didn't follow the tire, is it the TPMS sensor? or is it the ABS sensor?
As far as TPMS - the programmable ones work fine. I'm using the AUTEL ones in some rims, but the original band sensor IDs were cloned into the new programmable ones.

if the problem didn't follow the tire, is it the TPMS sensor? or is it the ABS sensor?
As far as TPMS - the programmable ones work fine. I'm using the AUTEL ones in some rims, but the original band sensor IDs were cloned into the new programmable ones.
Thanks

I actually stopped at the ford dealership. I inquired about the sensors. It turns out the wrong sensors are in the tires. They require the ones that attach to inside of the wheel (band)
The dealership is either lying to get you to make an expensive purchase or is just incorrect. I bought aftermarket wheels (rims) at Discount Tire a year ago for my 2010 Sport Trac. I swapped the existing tires onto the new wheels and used the newer valve stem mounted sensors. No issues with TPMS warning. I sold the old rims with the original band sensors still attached.

i suppose my theory may be incorrect, about not following the tire. It is only valid if you re-programmed the sensor locations into the truck after moving tires around.
The truck will always assume the tire is where it was before unless it is re-programmed after rotation.

I’ve been getting the TPMS fault on mine for a few months now but it’s no big deal to me so I just drive it that way lol

Back