• Register Today It's free!

97 exp 5.0 misfire

mays8804

Reaction score
City, State
Elkhart
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer limited
Hi guys, I have a 97 explorer limited awd with 5.0. Few days ago it started missing. Code said 7 miss fire. I replaced wire then it said #8 miss fire. I replaced that wire. Then it said #5 then it said random miss fire. So I replaced that coil. Now there aren't any codes but it runs really bad. What next? Please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how many miles?

When the computer gives you misfire codes MOST OF THE TIME it is injector related

I would do a fuel pressure test, you may have low fuel pressure. It should be 36+/- psi at the rail when warm

It could also be a cam sensor issue

You really should replace the plugs and wires as a set, do not use cheap wires or gimmick plugs... Motorcraft or Autolite double platinum and a good set of OEM or better wires.

how many miles?

When the computer gives you misfire codes MOST OF THE TIME it is injector related

I would do a fuel pressure test, you may have low fuel pressure. It should be 36+/- psi at the rail when warm

It could also be a cam sensor issue

You really should replace the plugs and wires as a set, do not use cheap wires or gimmick plugs... Motorcraft or Autolite double platinum and a good set of OEM or better wires.
Very good info. Thank you. I will let you know if thats the problem. Thanks

Did you ever resolve your issue?

First, just so we're on the same page, it would be good to see the specific codes.

I noticed so far all cylinder #s are on the same bank.

I like numbers so would use a scan tool showing live data and look at the long term fuel trims, but also I don't know what basic things you have checked so far for example oil looks good, coolant too and no bubbling out the reservoir? Cylinder compression check is something else to consider. How many miles on it?

I agree with prior posts that depending on miles and/or years since last change, all new spark plugs and wires may be due, as well as a fuel pressure check, and before diving into deeper waters, run some fuel injector cleaner through it and if not driveable/much, double up the fuel injector cleaner ratio to get more through the system for now.

Ultimately after the basics it is time to hook up a scan tool capable of live data and look at everything.

Back