List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 67 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Just noticed a spot on my 17 yesterday. Going to call the dealer today. My dealer has been known to be a pain to deal with when it comes to things like this. Anyway, I guess it's just recommended to tell them the issue and the TSB number? And after reading the TSB, "install the new panel" from line 6 of the service panel, that's what is signaling for the actual installation of a NEW hood, right?

But reading the warranty guide, aluminum body panels are covered 5 year, unlimited miles so this shouldn't be a fight with the dealer.

Yeah, it seems it should be covered.

I need to call them as well. I will ask about my roof too and see if they will cover that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the issue with the roof? Would it fall under this exclusion?
1600704776749.png

Peter

Yeah, it seems it should be covered.

I need to call them as well. I will ask about my roof too and see if they will cover that.

Yeah I was actually transferred to the body shop part of my ford dealer. Went very smoothly and easily. They were well aware of the issue. They are ordering me a new hood, will paint, and call me when it's ready to be installed which should take 1-2 hrs.

What is the issue with the roof? Would it fall under this exclusion?
View attachment 321428
Peter

The paint is missing and it seems to be rusting at the top (just a small part). There is also a part of the tailgate that is like that. Regardless if they fix it or not I need to get it fixed or it will get worse.

Is there anyone on this forum in the greater Vancouver BC area that had success with one of the dealers getting it covered no charge? Was told by 2 dealers (one with body shop & one without) that the hood replacement is only covered under the 3/36. I’m 4 years in now, but still within the 5 yrs.

Is there anyone on this forum in the greater Vancouver BC area that had success with one of the dealers getting it covered no charge? Was told by 2 dealers (one with body shop & one without) that the hood replacement is only covered under the 3/36. I’m 4 years in now, but still within the 5 yrs.

Try a different dealer and get it documented. It should be covered.

My dealer submitted it to ford, and never got an approval or a denial.. Told me that we have to start all over again, and now I can't give up the car for even a day. Guess that the next owner will have to deal with it. Dealer service is terrible!

Hey Chris. The hood is covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage. It is written in the Warranty Guide. Perhaps you should show them that if you aren't going to another dealer. The following is from page 11 of the 3rd printing of the Guide;
"If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles."
It can't be any clearer than that.

Peter

Hey Chris. The hood is covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage. It is written in the Warranty Guide. Perhaps you should show them that if you aren't going to another dealer. The following is from page 11 of the 3rd printing of the Guide;
"If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles."
It can't be any clearer than that.

Peter
FORD is usually the problem, not the dealer. I submitted a claim, Ford denied it immediately, saying it was mileage related (even though it was under warranty) and the paint wasn't perforated, which was true on top of the hood but not the bottom. I submitted an appeal which you can't even include any pictures, saying the corrosion started on the underside of the hood from contamination and corroded through to the top of the hood. Again they said it was mileage related. So basically if you drive the car off the lot, FORD will not cover any paint issues. All the problems come from that rolled lip, which wasn't sealed on the underside and traps the water, corroding from bottom to top.

The aluminum panel warranty only came out with the 2016 Explorers. Prior to that, the corrosion warranty had this statement included; "The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship." In your case, it wasn't perforated (no holes) so that is why they denied coverage.

Peter

Thanks guys. Peter, I did already note that paragraph in the warranty. I’ve had a dealer tell me “bring it in, we’ll take pictures and send them to Ford and see what they say.” I’ll be sure to have that page printed with me.
Was planning on doing that today until a garbage truck driving in front of me broke a hydraulic hose and sprayed fluid all over the front & top of my vehicle 🤬

My car has hood cancer. 51k miles 2018 Platinum.

Let's see what the dealer says.20201105_151559.jpg20201105_151539.jpg
20201105_151559.jpg
20201105_151539.jpg

My car has hood cancer. 51k miles 2018 Platinum.

Let's see what the dealer says.

Wow, I'm surprised they still haven't solved this...

Wow, I'm surprised they still haven't solved this...
Dealer is fixing for free. New hood, custom paint matching (Florida sun is brutal) which will take a few days (loaner provided by dealer). Going in Monday. Hooray for Mullinax Ford of Lake Park.

Dealer is fixing for free. New hood, custom paint matching (Florida sun is brutal) which will take a few days (loaner provided by dealer). Going in Monday. Hooray for Mullinax Ford of Lake Park.

Nice! My dealer did the same.

Good news, dealer told me that Ford is covering the hood replacement and that approval for MY2017 is no longer required. Dealer can just go ahead and do it no questions asked. Part on order, back next week to get it done.

Good news, dealer told me that Ford is covering the hood replacement and that approval for MY2017 is no longer required. Dealer can just go ahead and do it no questions asked. Part on order, back next week to get it done.
I just had dealer put a new hood on my 17 and they matched ruby red paint perfect! No more corrosion at least for now. Happy that Ford stepped up.

I bought my ‘14 Explorer XLT in D7 Sunset Metallic in 2015 and have been dealing with hood bubbling since after 5-6 months in. I've gone to 3 dealers, submitted pictures complained, and on and on. The bubbles have gone to peeling off and after complaining and dealing with this for 5 years and 95,000 miles later I'm about ready to lose it. Anyone who could provide help of who I could talk to, where or anything to get this covered I would appreciate it. I have all documentation of my submissions and complaints and yet am 0 for 3 on anyone with Ford caring at all.

I bought my ‘14 Explorer XLT in D7 Sunset Metallic in 2015 and have been dealing with hood bubbling since after 5-6 months in. I've gone to 3 dealers, submitted pictures complained, and on and on. The bubbles have gone to peeling off and after complaining and dealing with this for 5 years and 95,000 miles later I'm about ready to lose it. Anyone who could provide help of who I could talk to, where or anything to get this covered I would appreciate it. I have all documentation of my submissions and complaints and yet am 0 for 3 on anyone with Ford caring at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told Ford will go back 5 years from present to fix corrosion issues.

Back