• Register Today It's free!

Problems with brand new explorer

Explorer2217

Reaction score
City, State
n/a
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 XLT Eco
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this before I bring it to the dealership later this week. 2020 explorer xlt eco. Only 1800 miles. 3 times now, only after getting gas, the truck bucks, hesitates, and has zero pickup.. eventually it stalls. The dash will give me the message "shift to park and shut off engine" and also "full accessory power active" sometimes when I go to restart, it takes several attempts for the vehicle to start again. I did read somewhere that it could be the intake manifold gaskets? But on a brand new vehicle? The truck is going into the dealership this week, but I just figured I'd ask here to see what you guys think. Thanks a lot for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't know if this could cause it but after you pull the gas nozzle out have you checked to see if the little metal filler cap closed completely?
I would think that if it was an issue with the intake manifold gasket that you would experience it more often than just after filling up.

Peter

Do you turn you car off when Gasing up ?

Not sure where you are purchasing your fuel as no location listed. It sounds as if you've got contaminated fuel. My suggestion would be to buy from a top tier station rather than local unbranded gas. Also would run Heet or any other water dispersant thru the system.

If I'm reading the OPs post correctly, it only happens after just filling up. If it was contaminated or bad gas, I would expect that it would happen continuously.

Peter

Wondering if there was a contaminant in the tank to begin with. By now, one would hope the discontent at the assembly plant would have dissipated.

Hey guys. So to answer the above questions.. I didn't think to look at the metal filler cap, I will take a look at that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I always shut the engine while gassing up.

It's not the fuel. My wife and I use the same gas station and the problem only exists with the new explorer.

So that's the run down. I'm so fed up with Ford, I don't know what to do. I just went though a 6 month fight with them, and won my buyback for my lemon F150. I can't believe I'm having problems with my brand new explorer. I really hope they can diagnose it quick, and fix it. Any and all feedback or ideas is appreciated!

Well. I stick with FUEL PUMP.
My problem last weekend at 10,800 miles was the fuel pump. It seems you are correct! They ordered a new fuel pump today and got me in a loaner car. As a funny side note, today as I was speaking on the phone with the service advisor and he told me the tech was able to diagnose the problem and had listed parts on my work order but did not see what they were, my FordPass app blew up with notifications. They essentially said it was a fuel pump malfunction and needed service otherwise it would stall and fail to start, which is exactly what happened on Sunday. I guess when the tech was able to start and diagnose, FordPass lit up with malfunction indicators.

I have had this same problem is another vehicle. It was because I was overfilling the gas tank after the click. It seems to cause vapor lock and take times for the vehicle to restart. I am Not saying you are topping of too much but just my experience. Somehow these vehicles are not designed to take much overfill.

My problem last weekend at 10,800 miles was the fuel pump. It seems you are correct! They ordered a new fuel pump today and got me in a loaner car. As a funny side note, today as I was speaking on the phone with the service advisor and he told me the tech was able to diagnose the problem and had listed parts on my work order but did not see what they were, my FordPass app blew up with notifications. They essentially said it was a fuel pump malfunction and needed service otherwise it would stall and fail to start, which is exactly what happened on Sunday. I guess when the tech was able to start and diagnose, FordPass lit up with malfunction indicators.

Thanks for this info. Did your problem only happen right after gassing up?

My 2020 GT350 HEP would do exactly this. My service advisor wisely asked ............. Well duh ! Bad on me.
MVIMG_20200828_081414.jpg

I have had this same problem is another vehicle. It was because I was overfilling the gas tank after the click. It seems to cause vapor lock and take times for the vehicle to restart. I am Not saying you are topping of too much but just my experience. Somehow these vehicles are not designed to take much overfill.
I always go for 1 more click after waiting a few seconds after the initial one and haven't had any issues.

Peter

Purge valve maybe? I remember the 5th generation had this issue too where it would take several tries to start after fueling.

Per the owners manual you should stop fueling after the first time the pump shuts off.

The 5th gen Manuals stated the same thing.

Per the owners manual you should stop fueling after the first time the pump shuts off.
Both this 2020 Explorer and my 2013 MKZ had issues at certain gas pumps where it would stop every minute or more for the entire empty tank forcing me to hold the handle the entire fillup.(cringe during COVID) LOL I stopped going to those stations and go to the same Exxon now and never have fill up issues anymore. My 2013 did develop purge valve issues after a while and would almost stall after fillups.

I believe all pump nozzles in Canada have to be 'hand-held' while filling up. At least all the stations I've visited. This changed years ago.
EDIT: Just found this article. I use Petro-Canada and haven't seen the locking device installed yet. Gas nozzle locking clips are coming back to some Canadian pumps

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have them here in USA. NJ presently has gas attendants that have to gas you up, but that is soon to change like in NYC you gas up your on car in most gas stations. They say that with out the attendants your gas should be cheaper. I say the gas station owner will make a better profit and more people out of work. Soon robots will gas up your car. The Jetsons have invaded the world !

Back