Gauging Interest: EcoBoost PTU, RDU, Trans drain plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gauging Interest: EcoBoost PTU, RDU, Trans drain plugs

Some of you know that I've recently installed a set of these on my vehicle. They are super easy to use once installed. Just gauging interest on putting these for sale as a set for all three. If you've already drilled and tapped your RDU and PTU gor 1/8 NPT, these can be installed on your next fluid exchange. Trans already has a drain plug that is 1/8 NPT.

These are ideal for a few reasons. Main one is, once installed, you never have to break that NPT seal ever again. It can get sketchy after a few times of taking off and on and wondering if its sealed up properly.

No worries with that. All 3 are galvanized steel with brass twist cap that seals with an o-ring. And although I doubt the cap would ever come off, I'm also including enough adhesive backed heat shrink to ensure it doesn't spin off. Just cut it with a razor at your next change and replace it with more the next go around. I'm only including enough for the first installment, the rest is on you. But it's just a few bucks for enough to last a few changes.

Let me know what you guys think. I could get these kits put together in a short period of time if there's enough interest. I kinda need like 10 ppl interested to be worth the time, fyi.

Was thinking $30 shipped to be reasonable. I'm not making a ton of money, just figured those interested may want these kits as it's hassle-free.

Thanks.
rC6V9MY-OwjwA?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg
FDetRDvRDXneA?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg
ujJ6N7vbOsnoXw?width=498&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg
YkUkQyenAENoQ?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some of you know that I've recently installed a set of these on my vehicle. They are super easy to use once installed. Just gauging interest on putting these for sale as a set for all three. If you've already drilled and tapped your RDU and PTU gor 1/8 NPT, these can be installed on your next fluid exchange. Trans already has a drain plug that is 1/8 NPT.

These are ideal for a few reasons. Main one is, once installed, you never have to break that NPT seal ever again. It can get sketchy after a few times of taking off and on and wondering if its sealed up properly.

No worries with that. All 3 are galvanized steel with brass twist cap that seals with an o-ring. And although I doubt the cap would ever come off, I'm also including enough adhesive backed heat shrink to ensure it doesn't spin off. Just cut it with a razor at your next change and replace it with more the next go around. I'm only including enough for the first installment, the rest is on you. But it's just a few bucks for enough to last a few changes.

Let me know what you guys think. I could get these kits put together in a short period of time if there's enough interest. I kinda need like 10 ppl interested to be worth the time, fyi.

Was thinking $30 shipped to be reasonable. I'm not making a ton of money, just figured those interested may want these kits as it's hassle-free.

Thanks.View attachment 319369 View attachment 319370 View attachment 319371 View attachment 319372
Dear Mad Scientist, this is a great idea. I am new to Explorer ownership with a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. I have been following a You Tube Ford Mechanic, FordTech Makuloco, who recommends PTU fluid change every 30,000 miles. His method to remove fluid is to use a vacuum pump to do so. You're idea here is a great innovation.
Question, with the PTU unit, it sits in the mist of a high heat area of the vehicle. The engine, transmission and catalytic converter are contributors to that heated environment. Does the o-ring seal on your product hold up to the heat? How long have you been using this method and have you encountered any problems with either the PTU or the RDU installing your products?
If I wanted to make a purchase from you, how would I go about doing that?

Thank you ,

William Frisbie

Welcome to the Forum William. :wave:

Peter

Dear Mad Scientist, this is a great idea. I am new to Explorer ownership with a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. I have been following a You Tube Ford Mechanic, FordTech Makuloco, who recommends PTU fluid change every 30,000 miles. His method to remove fluid is to use a vacuum pump to do so. You're idea here is a great innovation.
Question, with the PTU unit, it sits in the mist of a high heat area of the vehicle. The engine, transmission and catalytic converter are contributors to that heated environment. Does the o-ring seal on your product hold up to the heat? How long have you been using this method and have you encountered any problems with either the PTU or the RDU installing your products?
If I wanted to make a purchase from you, how would I go about doing that?

Thank you ,

William Frisbie

Hey thanks for reaching out. I've sold quite a few sets mostly to SHO owners. But I've been running these plugs for about 6 months now with no issues. You're right, it is a high heat area, but haven't had issues to date. It's a valid concern, and I appreciate you pointing that out.

I've had good luck with them to this point and have had others run them with no ill effects. Its entirely up to you. Worst case scenario, a standard NPT plug could be put into its place, should there be any issues.

I started out doing these for me and got the components to make the kit in bulk. I have only a few sets left and will gauge the additional interest before I make another batch. Its really only worth my while if I can get about 10 kits committed to.

But as mentioned, I've got a few left from my last batch. They are $30 shipped, using USPS priority.

I just use PayPal and you can pay me that way. I can DM you my email address if you'd like to proceed.

Thanks again!!!

Hey thanks for reaching out. I've sold quite a few sets mostly to SHO owners. But I've been running these plugs for about 6 months now with no issues. You're right, it is a high heat area, but haven't had issues to date. It's a valid concern, and I appreciate you pointing that out.

I've had good luck with them to this point and have had others run them with no ill effects. Its entirely up to you. Worst case scenario, a standard NPT plug could be put into its place, should there be any issues.

I started out doing these for me and got the components to make the kit in bulk. I have only a few sets left and will gauge the additional interest before I make another batch. Its really only worth my while if I can get about 10 kits committed to.

But as mentioned, I've got a few left from my last batch. They are $30 shipped, using USPS priority.

I just use PayPal and you can pay me that way. I can DM you my email address if you'd like to proceed.

Thanks again!!!
Hey thanks for following up on my inquiry.

I'm a buyer so if you'll please send me your paypal info. and I'll send you the payment.

Looking forward to installing the plugs. It will make the gear oil change much easier and allow me to do this every 30,000 miles.

Have a great night.

I've sold out of my last set of drain plugs. I am doing another batch order for them, but need to get a bit more interest as I have to order in bulk.

I am having to increase the plug set price by $15 ($45 shipped, instead of $30). I'm doing this for a few reasons:

1) I'm up-sizing the drain hole diameter from 1/4" to 5/16". They will still have 1/8 NPT fitting but the drain cap will be slightly larger. Previously I was milling them out to that diameter and took me a lot of setup time.

2) I was actually losing money at the $21.50 unshipped price...it was unsustainable.

The fittings are galvanized steel fittings, but I am now also offering fittings that are identical dimension-ally, but in 316 stainless. These fittings are super pricey for me so the cost goes up quite a bit ($75 shipped), but they are definitely the cats-meow...super corrosion resistant. Might be of interest to those in very corrosive environments (coastal regions or those that get a lot of roads salts during the winter). I know it won't interest many, but just making the offer available. I will be switching to them personally when I do my next fluid change. These fittings will be pre-treated with PTFE sealant tape on the NPT side meant for stainless steel fittings as well.

So just to be clear, in order to install these drain plugs, one would need to drill the hole with an "R" bit, and then cut the threads with a 1/8" NPT tap, correct?

It's technically a "Q" size for 1/8-27 NPT but a 21/64" can get you by, just being a bit more careful with the tapping as it's about 4 thousandths smaller than a "Q".

And yes, you are drilling into both the RDU and PTU. The transmission fitting is already a 1/8 NPT, just remove and replace that one.

It's technically a "Q" size for 1/8-27 NPT but a 21/64" can get you by, just being a bit more careful with the tapping as it's about 4 thousandths smaller than a "Q".

And yes, you are drilling into both the RDU and PTU. The transmission fitting is already a 1/8 NPT, just remove and replace that one.

My '17 Sport's PTU already has a drain plug on the side. Will your product fit those threads? Just curious if it would be a direct swap. However, I still think it'd be a good idea to drill/install your plug on the bottom of the PTU (at the lowest point) so that one could more efficiently drain most, if not all of the PTU fluid.

My '17 Sport's PTU already has a drain plug on the side. Will your product fit those threads? Just curious if it would be a direct swap. However, I still think it'd be a good idea to drill/install your plug on the bottom of the PTU (at the lowest point) so that one could more efficiently drain most, if not all of the PTU fluid.

Yup, my 2015 also has the side drain port. I just hate using it because, as you mentioned, it isn't the lowest point. So I just never use it and tapped a bottom port for a more thorough drain. Also, it makes less of a mess as it doesn't travel down parts of the case before it drips. But no, it will not fit that side drain, which is, I believe a 1/4 or 3/8 NPT fitting. Im sure you could adapt it, but that just introduces additional possible leak points.

Back