95 explorer xlt, what type of power steering fluid to use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 explorer xlt, what type of power steering fluid to use?

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
Just wanted to double check before I do the change. I can't find any mention of power steering fluid in the Owners Manual. I know that lot of ford cars used ATF fluid for power steering, so should I just use Mercon V in my 95 explorer or what would you guys recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can use either. I’ve used both with good luck. I had pretty good results quieting down the typical whiny pump with a full fluid swap.

Just wanted to double check before I do the change. I can't find any mention of power steering fluid in the Owners Manual. I know that lot of ford cars used ATF fluid for power steering, so should I just use Mercon V in my 95 explorer or what would you guys recommend?
Pre 96 could be type F fluid. ( I have 95 Ford cars and it is listed as such in the manual).

Mercon or Mercon V should be fine. My 96 specifies Mercon. There are no friction plates there, it is just used as an 20wt oil.

My Haynes man. says 91-95 type F
96-01 Mercon.Hope this helps.

The pump and system is the same for 95 and 96, they just updated to a newer (presumably better) fluid spec. The best fluid would (probably) be a fully synthetic major brand power steering fluid. (Mercon V is semi-synthetic)

Ditto. All Ford PS systems have used ATF, and without clutches, the newest fluid recommended is good for all of them.

I prefer PS fluid because it's made for the PS, best brands and synthetic will be the best and quietest of course. Just avoid lower quality fluids, the PS isn't very picky. I like the Lubegard PS fluid as my top choice.

Mercon was superseded by Mercon V in the PS pumps also.

Attachments

• FORD MOTORCRAFT TRANS FLUID CHART.pdf
    232.5 KB · Views: 119

Back