Paul's '91 Sport | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paul's '91 Sport

Three ashtrays, two doors, one cup holder, and zero Air Bags”

As it sits today. . . (December 2023)
Rig Large (DEC 23).jpg

As it sat last year. . . (2022)
Snow Sport.5 (DEC 21).jpg

Edit: From here on down was the write-up I did for my first Explorer before it was totaled in a commuting accident in March 2017. The write-up for the new (to me) Explorer that was acquired in May 2020 starts on page 2, post #31.

I am the second owner of this vehicle, purchasing it in April 1993. It has been a daily driver, crisscrossed the States multiple times, sat for a few years in storage, and now is dedicated to four-wheeling trips, camping excursions, and hauling the motorcycle to various “track days”. It is not a hard-core rig, but is set up well for the types of four-wheeling I enjoy, and has certainly seen its fair share of difficult trails. It has a number of modifications, with more planned for the future, but is by no means “Done”.

As it used to sit: (2016)
Front Oblique (P).jpg
Rear End.jpg

Here is the run-down of the modifications and when they were installed (or re-worked). . .
- Borla Headers and Cat-Back Exhaust (1995)
- James Duff Pre-Runner Front Bumper (1998)
- Bush Whacker Extend-A-Fender Flares (1998/2016)
- ARB Air Lockers, front and rear (1999/2008/2015)
- 4.10 Gears (1999)
- “SupeRancho” Hybrid Lift, approximately 4” of lift, with SOA (1999)
- 33”x 12.50 Tires (currently Toyo Mud Terrains)
- Con Ferr Roof Rack (1999)
- SuperLift SuperRunner Steering (2000)
- Ramsey REP 8000 winch in Duff Bumper (2002), Warn Synthetic Line (2016)
- Rock Sliders (2002)
- Atlas II Transfer Case (2005)
- ViAir On-Board Air Compressor (2009/2014)
- Modified ¾ Doors (2009)
- Early Bronco fabbed Rear Bumper, “extra modded” to fit the Explorer (2009)
- Rear License Plate Frenched (2009)
- Outback Solutions (ARB) Drawers with fabbed pull-out shelves (2012)
- Corbeau Heated Seats (2013)
- Internal Roll Cage (2013)
- Shelf/Box/Switches (2013-2015)
- Lights – Raptor/Fog/Roof Rack/Rear/Squatch/Interior Hatch/Hood (2013-2016)
- Dual Battery installation (2014)

I'll document most of the projects in subsequent posts with pictures and links to various threads. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Edit: End of the road in April 2020. . . Read on for the wreck and renovation/restoration/gear swap to new 'Sport'. . .
Fork (APR 20).jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back at home. . .

Rig Passenger.1 (NOV 20)_LI.jpg

Trail Ready. . . ?

Atlas transfer case fluid changed, new gear oil in front and rear differentials, new seals, new bushings in leaf springs, rear disc brake conversion, new brake fluid, ARB air lines run, switches wired to panel on visor, new spark plugs, alignment done, "Brian Built" front diff protector, front diff reinforcement plate, and leaf spring ramps.

Still a lot left to do, but could go on a trail tomorrow. . . Definitely ready for a Snow Run in a couple of weeks.

Paul

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

dude that is one sharp looking lawn!!

KIDDING! Sharp looking truck I love that color scheme!!! The grey instead of black trim was a nice choice
hell yeah its trail ready, its a sport with an atlas and 35's, not much can stop that thing except body damage :)

Well, the lawn is awesome, cause we work at it . . . a lot!

Sharp looking truck I love that color scheme!!! The grey instead of black trim was a nice choice
The gray is growing on me, as I didn't want to mimic the black from the '91 Sport, but pretty sure I got a mislabeled color product.
What I ordered:
1604941268005.png

What my Monstaliner looks like:
1604941445850.png

Pretty close either way, and no paint on a computer screen looks the same in real life, and after three gallons of this stuff on three rigs (this one, my Ranger, and Kevin's "Abby Red") in 2020, I'm done with this for a while. . . On the plus side, can address the inevitable "rashes" with regular old gray primer. . .

hell yeah its trail ready, its a sport with an atlas and 35's:)

Actually, those tires are 33's! Big enough for my style of four wheeling, just look big since the Sport is short. Think I'd break the Dana 35 with 35" tires and I like the drivability of the TTB. . . I know, I know, should go Dana 44 outers, consider that on my "mid-to-long term" project upgrade list.

not much can stop that thing except body damage :)

Body damage is my Kryptonite. . . Ask Kevin - - he'll relay my response when navigating the one big step-down on Moab's Cliffhanger, where there is a small chance if poorly executed you can plunge about 1,500' to the valley floor. . .

Went something like this:
Kevin (ground guide): "I've got to put your passenger side right up against the rock face so your driver's front tire doesn't drop into that hole..."
Me (driver): "I'd rather launch this thing off the side of the cliff then damage the bodywork. . ."

Or words to that effect, obviously the story gets better with each telling. . .

Paul

pffft dana 35 handles 35's just fine as long as you are a finesse wheeler....wheel spin finds instant traction is when you break stuff, and usually just a hub. I run my D35 HARD with the ARB and 35's, down to 6 psi on slickrock, as long as you have a good wheel bearing setup (lock ring doesn't come loose) the d35 will hold up to 35's IMO.
I run 96 Ranger outers with dual piston calipers and slide bolts.. d44 outers would be nice, but not needed if you are a finesse wheeler :)

That story does not end well :) or does it? Sometimes some good can come from the really bad

Looks great Paul! I cant wait to see it sometime, hopefully Moab next year

Thanks and thanks again for the great "Brian Built" products - - had to edit the above post to reflect their addition to the build. . . Moab a "must-do" for 2021, Wuhan or not. . . will boondock if the campgrounds get locked down.

Took the wife on a little shake-down run and recon on part of the route that will run next weekend as a memorial for Phil.
Haller Front Passenger (NOV 20)_LI.jpg

About 12" of snow up at about 2,000' AGL, more dumping now and for the next week. Neat aspect about living out here is that you don't have to deal with snow if you don't want to, rarely snows at sea level, but go to the mountain forest service roads and you'll find it easy enough from November - April.

Haller Driver (NOV 20)_LI.jpg

Have to run down an issue with the ARB airline, but wasn't a "hard" day, locked the hubs, aired down to 20 pounds, and kept it in 4 Hi.

Was able to assist Subaru owner who was stuck, so glad to have added the shackle to the rear bumper in preparation of next week's run.

Paul

Your rig turned out awesome. It looks great out in the snow:chug:

Your rig turned out awesome. It looks great out in the snow:chug:
Thanks Rick, plenty more to do - - mount bumpers (still have to buy a new one for the front), put the winch back on, reinstall the drawer system, remount the air compressor (for tires), add off-road lights, etc. etc. May or may not put the roof rack back on, this rig has a sun roof, so not sure if the Con-Ferr is too big. . . Plus all the electrical work that goes along with that stuff . . .

Got this done today:
Switch Panel Conduit (NOV 20).jpg

Had to remove the visor shelf to mount the switch panel, added conduit to house the wires down to the A-Pillar. Three switches on the right are ARB Compressor, Rear and Front Locker. Switch on left is Interior light, mounted below the panel on the shelf; four vacant switches include one dedicated to forward LEDs/fogs, one for back-up lights, and two TBD. Fabric is left-over from the seat refresh, glued to MDF pieces on each side, loose fitted over the back to hide wiring from forward of the rig.

Installed:
Switch Panel Light (NOV 20).jpg

Light under switch panel is the interior light (circular bronze fitting). Panel has voltmeter, a two USB charging port, 12V port, and cigarette lighter. . . Black object on left side of panel is the garage door opener, attached with Velcro.

Off to play in the snow tomorrow,

Paul

Did a run on Saturday in honor of Phil, aka Albino94ltd, who passed last November. Phil was a long time member of this site, always ready to grab a tool or spare part from his voluminous tool kit to lend a hand for trail break-downs or maintenance on anything RBV.

Phil in Moab, May 2016:
Phil Ledge (MAY 16).jpg

(Think photo taken by Suicide77, maybe Rock Ranger - - just want to assign credit to the photographer). . .

So, six rigs and about ten of us met up to run up to Lonesome Lake, a long-time snow run destination for us in the Pacific Northwest.

Heading up the road to the lake:
Snow Line-Up (NOV 20)_LI.jpg

Snow Line-Down (NOV 20).jpg

Up at the lake, Kevin (DiffWhack) has Phil's Explorer body on his old drive train, I've got Phil's axles and suspension under my rig. . .
Snow Abby - Rig (NOV 20).jpg

Toast to Phil:
Snow Kevin Shots (NOV 20).jpg

Phil's Tool Kit still in the back of his rig, now owned by Kevin. . .
Snow Phil Toolbox (NOV 20).jpg

Phil's bumpers went to Jonathon's Ranger:
Snow Rig - Jon (NOV 20).jpg

Afternoon shot of Rainier at the lookout point near the lake:
Snow Rainier (NOV 20).jpg

Paul

Thanks for sharing Paul. It looks like it was a great day:chug:

Not much going on since the run. . . Found out the problem with rear locker - - looks like my rear gears chewed up my copper airline so waiting on a part from ARB.
Here's a pre-install picture, airline out of the way - - interested in any advice for those familiar. . .
Diff (OCT 20).JPG

When we cracked the diff cover, only a few inches of copper tube left - - rest gave it's life to add a nice "coppery" look to the gear oil we drained out . . .

Other than that, had to remove the rock sliders to mount the front fender flares, but the rig looks better with all flares mounted.
Flare (DEC 20).jpg

Kept the green/sand/brown "earth-tone" look on the inside, complimented with new green Atlas shift knobs.
Shifters (DEC 20).jpg

Last thing, I like the seat belt shoulder pad thingees, especially when leaning out the rig when the 3/4 doors get mounted - - since I'm "low to the ground" and all. . . Had a set of the pads from the Sport, plus some extra fabric from the seat (and switch panel) projects, but balked at the cost a few sewing shops wanted to sew them up. . . Being pig-headed as I am, opted to do it myself - - we had a sewing machine we bought 30+ years ago that probably hasn't seen daylight in 28+ years, so I broke that sucker out and had at it. . . A few You Tube videos and broken needles later I had something . . . :
Seat Pad (DEC 20).jpg

Close enough for government work . . .

Paul

How my tube is ran. Don't know if that is the best way, but since installed, it has survived a couple long road trips, and wheeling in the Rockies, and a hardcore off road park.

ARB installed.jpg

I have lost a copper air line twice in the FJ cruiser.... that thing sucks because its a 3rd member like a Ford 9" so you have to stab the whole carrier into the housing, it is really difficult to not disturb the air line and move it. They are so delicate! Chase at ECGS changed the routing of the copper line both times I sent it back to him for repairs, the 3rd time must have worked because its been fine for years now.

That copper line should be routed like @gmanpaint posted, your routing is asking for trouble with fluid and bouncing going on in there

I always say ARB air lockers are only as good as the installer, so true!!

That copper line should be routed like @gmanpaint posted, your routing is asking for trouble with fluid and bouncing going on in there

I always say ARB air lockers are only as good as the installer, so true!!
Yep, - - Kevin's assessment as well, too much fluid movement affected the airline, allowing it to contact the hard bits. . . Will post a pic from the ARB manual later, it's install photo shows pretty much the same routing as the guy laid out for mine. . .

Thanks for the feedback,

Paul

From the ARB RD81 Manual:

ARB Manual (DEC 20).jpg

Been away for a few weeks, but back now and got a chance to run up to Kevin's shop to re-work the rear ARB. Here's the new airline routing:
Open Diff (JAN 21).jpg

Currently rehabbing the rear bumper from the wreck back in 2017 to install on the rig, been running without a spare for a few months now. . . Pics to follow.

Paul

Been away for a few weeks, but back now and got a chance to run up to Kevin's shop to re-work the rear ARB. Here's the new airline routing:
View attachment 326759

Currently rehabbing the rear bumper from the wreck back in 2017 to install on the rig, been running without a spare for a few months now. . . Pics to follow.

Paul

I'm glad that you got that resolved:chug:

"Deja Vu All Over Again . . ."

Had to massage the bumper to get it fit up correctly - - either from the wreck or there is a slight difference in the frames. . .
Tire-Bumper (JAN 21)_LI.jpg

That 33" tire looks yuuuggge!

Still not done, have to wire up the back-up lights (barely visible between the tubes) to a switch on the panel and some other stuff. . .
Bumper-TireL (JAN 21).jpg

Paul

That tire does look huge. It is great to see it all coming together:chug:

Back