Camshaft Position Sensor 97 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Position Sensor 97 4.0 SOHC

bryangarciarolon

Reaction score
City, State
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, Explorer XLT 4.0L
Hi everyone, I have a 2nd gen with 4.0 SOHC, I believe that sensor is in the valve cover right? I replaced it few month ago but it still giving me the same code and same symptoms (bad fuel economy, stumbles and bad acceleration), any thoughts đź’­ around here? Thanks

1378583B-8F4F-47A7-8A63-22A43349810F.jpeg

5E59E83F-4A1A-43CC-B1C3-D689CB8C1856.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When was the last time the throttle body was cleaned. I had a similar experience and replacing the crankshaft position sensor and cleaning the throttle body did the trick. Here are some other things to check...
  • A camshaft position sensor circuit wiring that is broken, shorted, or corroded
  • A camshaft position sensor circuit connector that is broken, shorted, or corroded
  • A faulty camshaft position sensor
  • A failed crankshaft position sensor
  • A faulty PCM

dang that actron has been to war!!

Yes the CAMSHAFT pos sensor is on the drivers valve cover

P0340 is a CIRCUIT failure, meaning the PCM is not happy with the signal it is seeing from the CPS
I would carefully check the wiring harness

You can test the sensor itself:

Interesting read here, it could be your rich condition on bank 1 causing a misfire which the computer is BLAMING on the cam sensor, because it cannot determine which cyl is misfiring

does this engine make any rattles on cold start?
You should check fuel pressure, 97 uses a return style fuel system and the parts are getting very hard to find, you should have 36 psi at the fuel rail

What condition are the ignition wires and spark plugs in?
How many miles? You may simply have some lazy 02 sensors.....

P0340 is a CIRCUIT failure, meaning the PCM is not happy with the signal it is seeing from the CPS

Interesting read here, it could be your rich condition on bank 1 causing a misfire which the computer is BLAMING on the cam sensor, because it cannot determine which cyl is misfiring

You should check fuel pressure, 97 uses a return style fuel system and the parts are getting very hard to find, you should have 36 psi at the fuel rail

​
So I believe the fuel system is fine because I replace the fuel pump and filter in January, and when they installed told me everything was fine with the pressure. The ignition wires are new, but not the spark plugs. It have around 92k and I’m guessing because the odometer stopped working at 66k.

So yesterday I changed the sensor, erased the code, and when I started the engine it came up again, also, when is cold the truck start fine with no problem, also when is running on the street still fine and when is in park with the engine running is fine as well, just if it’s in drive or reverse when I press and release the gas quickly the engine start to stumbles and sometimes the engine just stop running, unless a put the gear in N. Also I notice that the overdrive fuse blew, yesterday I replaced it but today it blew again, I don’t know if has anything to do with the tranny.
Thanks for your help in advance

I forgot, I checked the harness and it look like new, no corrosion and not a broken wire, I check continuity with the wires with a power probe in the end of the sensor harness and the other end at the ECU....

Back