thedanman

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Plat
20 ST
77 F150
Seeing as the old edge just got sync 4 during a refresh cycle: 2021 Ford Edge Gets A New 12-Inch SYNC 4 Infotainment System | Carscoops

I think this should bring us hope that the explorer will get sync 4 maybe next year or the year after, which opens the door to us retrofitting sync 4 into our current explorers, assuming we can use a method similar to those detailed in SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer - which I successfully did on my 2016 Plat before it got totaled.

Also - after having used the 10" touchscreen for a year now, I think I would have been happier with the smaller landscape touchscreen, but alas, there's no massaging seats with the smaller one. However, since it seems relatively easy to go from an 8" to a 10", it seems very likely that those of us who want to downgrade can do so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seeing as the old edge just got sync 4 during a refresh cycle: 2021 Ford Edge Gets A New 12-Inch SYNC 4 Infotainment System | Carscoops

I think this should bring us hope that the explorer will get sync 4 maybe next year or the year after, which opens the door to us retrofitting sync 4 into our current explorers, assuming we can use a method similar to those detailed in SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer - which I successfully did on my 2016 Plat before it got totaled.

Also - after having used the 10" touchscreen for a year now, I think I would have been happier with the smaller landscape touchscreen, but alas, there's no massaging seats with the smaller one. However, since it seems relatively easy to go from an 8" to a 10", it seems very likely that those of us who want to downgrade can do so.

How do you easily swap screens? From the way the dash looks the pieces change based on the screen type?

How do you easily swap screens? From the way the dash looks the pieces change based on the screen type?
From looking at the video, new parts are included. It looks pretty straight forward but I noticed no cost was mentioned.

Peter

Ahh my bad I didn't watch the video, I bet we could swap screens with the people that want the 10" screens, the catch would be reprogramming the 10 to the 8, would be interesting to see if they could enable the massaging seats as well.

If you do a search on Ford Parts the regular display is about $500 while the 10" display is $800. Not sure if you have to set the size somewhere but the Sync system already has programming for all the display sizes.
Where have you seen that price?

They show 2 parts close to each other. I wonder whats difference between the two?
LB5Z-10D885-FA & LB5Z-10D885-UA
I am not to crazy about the iPad style screen sticking up so high. Wish it was more built in or even lowered and not passed the dash.
I would bee more curious to know if the ST and Platinum instrument panel can be used on a limited. That i would invest in.

.....................................................................................................................
I would bee more curious to know if the ST and Platinum instrument panel can be used on a limited. That i would invest in.
Your answer is in the first post video.

Peter

Your answer is in the first post video.

Peter
Not the APIM 10" screen but the instrument cluster itself. I wonder can one be put in a non ST or Platinum package.

Not the APIM 10" screen but the instrument cluster itself. I wonder can one be put in a non ST or Platinum package.
Understood.

So looks like the Koreans get the big screen first, WTF?

Im told its still not SYNC4 but I wonder if its ready to go for SYNC4.

So looks like the Koreans get the big screen first, WTF?

Im told its still not SYNC4 but I wonder if its ready to go for SYNC4.

yeah I can’t imagine it not being sync 4 ready. Every Ford that’s gotten the big screen, came with sync 4. But damn, I was hoping to see a picture of it. The interior picture cuts off just before the infotainment system.

I think it is the same as MY20, the digital cluster is listed as 12.3 inch in previous articles. Just do a quick search and you will see articles about the gauges. If it had sync 4 it would be stated in the article as it would be a selling point.

I think it is the same as MY20, the digital cluster is listed as 12.3 inch in previous articles. Just do a quick search and you will see articles about the gauges. If it had sync 4 it would be stated in the article as it would be a selling point.
I wouldn’t expect the digital gauge cluster to change. It’s the infotainment system that’s expected to change in the near future. And I would expect said change to correlate with the implementation of sync4. It’s still early so we shall see.

It says 12.3" Infotainment screen

It says 12.3" Infotainment screen
Oh gotcha. Well there you go. I really didn’t want to wait for 2022 model but I feel I need to at this point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pure EVIL has now entered the vehicle infotainment space

Really why? Is it just from a privacy standpoint? My buddy and I was having a discussion on this the other day. Obviously I think Google puts out best maps, best AI, and I love their services. But I am weary about the privacy concerns. But then again, we have our smartphones on us all the time anyway so what’s the difference.

Back