It may be time for me to issue a mea culpa | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It may be time for me to issue a mea culpa

07EddyB

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
About three years ago I put a new radiator in the Ex - no surprise to anyone on this forum. I don't think I even got a year out of it before I had to start adding coolant occasionally. I did have to replace the rear heater tee during that time - and also the heater control valve. But those were the only components that ever put water on the floor. The radiator never did.
I've filled the radiator and added coolant to the overflow tank to the full cold mark but it just disappears. Even with a new radiator.
This week - I replaced my radiator cap with a 16lb model. I've only driven it twice but my overflow tank actually gained during the first drive and was stable after the second. Those weren't long drives - but long enough to get to full operating temp for a respectable period.
I distinctly remember that I made a post on this forum some time ago where I chastised people that were putting 16lb caps on their radiator. I puffed up and said there was a reason that they put a 20lb cap on it and you should find the real reason that you are loosing coolant and not blame the cap and the pressure.
It appears that I was likely wrong based on the evidence so far.

Hence the mea culpa.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It takes a man of integrity to admit their mistakes on a popular website for all to read for the life of the Internet. I think I will order a 16 psi radiator cap to avoid a future problem.

It takes a man of integrity to admit their mistakes on a popular website for all to read for the life of the Internet. I think I will order a 16 psi radiator cap to avoid a future problem.
This forum has helped me greatly over the years - everything is 'on the record'. I understand that what I said will show up in a search - hopefully this will show up in the search also. We are all here to keep them on the road and help each other. If I spread disinformation unwittingly, then call me or anyone else on it.

I'm getting one tomorrow...I have the exact same thing happen as the OP. Everything...and I mean everything is new in my cooling system. STILL have the got-damned roaring fan and occasional spiking of the temp gauge..but it goes right back down after about 20-30 seconds.

This forum has helped me greatly over the years - everything is 'on the record'. I understand that what I said will show up in a search - hopefully this will show up in the search also. We are all here to keep them on the road and help each other. If I spread disinformation unwittingly, then call me or anyone else on it.
I was joking. I just forgot to add the emoticon. Comments like yours made in the original post are very helpful to others.

I still say that there is another reason for coolant loss. Yea a lighter cap might slow a leak or mask head gasket issues.

When I replaced my radiator 2.5 years ago, I immediately put a 16 PSI cap on. I did much research into this because I did not want to replace it again in a few years. I don't drive that much (6k a year on it) but ZERO problems to date. 20 PSI is just asking for trouble IMHO.

I've had a 16psi cap on mine for the last year and a half, new radiator was put in about 6 months before that, and I've had no leak issues! My radiator seems to be holding up just fine, If it does eventually go, then I'll probably just replace it with that ALLOYWORKS aluminum radiator that is sometimes in stock. Highly recommend the 16psi cap though, no overheating from it either, temps never really go over 210 even under heavy acceleration.

I'll throw my two cents in also, about two years ago I installed a new Ford radiator, Ford thermostat, Ford 16 lb cap and a Simmons aluminum thermostat housing. No issues so far.

I'm getting one tomorrow...I have the exact same thing happen as the OP. Everything...and I mean everything is new in my cooling system. STILL have the got-damned roaring fan and occasional spiking of the temp gauge..but it goes right back down after about 20-30 seconds.
You might want to check your wiring harnesses. Not sure about the V8s, but the V6s have a known wiring harness issue within insulation breaking down. When I cleaned mine up, the roar went away.

See Found my ghosts in the machine

You might want to check your wiring harnesses. Not sure about the V8s, but the V6s have a known wiring harness issue within insulation breaking down. When I cleaned mine up, the roar went away.

See Found my ghosts in the machine
Yeah - that's pretty much bad wiring or air in the cooling system. Mine has never done that even with a leaky radiator unless I ignored it for a very long time. I checked mine today - I still have coolant in the overflow tank. As I said before, that wasn't happening before. It's nice to know now that I can check the level in the tank instead of the radiator. Makes it easier to check it hot.

Back